Daniel Sturridge being selfish...

Steve

First off let me put it out there that i am a big admirer of this young lad, he has some quality potential to be one of the best strikers in the Premier League in years to come, but some crucial things things need to change. Daniel gets himself in some great positions down that right wing and sometimes it is good to see the lad go himself and have a blazing shot that most times pressures the keeper into a save, but as of late his selfiness is becoming far to noticeable and annoying to see for most Chelsea fans and players. The game against Leicester for example, he had so many chances to give the ball off to players in a better position but most times he decided to take it on himself instead of giving it off to the better option.

What i would like to know is whether or not he has been told by Chelsea management to be this selfish or he has become this bad on his own self will to be the shining star in every game. Sometimes its a good thing but most the time it's not.

Discuss!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about picking the right moments to take it yourself. Sturridge needs to realise an assist is as good as a goal.

The other players were obviously getting frustrated on the weekend and at times looked reluctant to make runs as if they already knew he was never going to pass.

I'd put the desperation against Leicester down to him trying to make an impression on Stuart Pearce, who was in the stands for the game. Getting a goal or two with the current England manager watching would more or less confirm a seat for the Euros.

He is a young ambitious player and I don't blame for being 'selfish',he has assisted many goals also and has scored far too many goals for us as a right winger.He deserves to play as a center forward and now since he is not a regular start as a right winger,being overshadowed by Ramires,his life at Chelsea is more difficult than it already was.I think we should cut him some slack and give this future football star some appreciation rather than constant criticism.

All of my non-Chelsea supporting mates have noticed this and have mentioned it to me.

Obviously, I can understand his 'selfishness' due to the fact that he is a young, hungry centre-forward desperately seeking recognition. Shooting on site is a good attitude for a centre forward (ask Torres...Oh never mind), and if he were playing centrally, there would be no need for this thread.

The problem is that he hasn't adapted to the role of an orthodox winger and is rather playing as an inside forward. The greater problem I have is his tracking back, often is the case he needs to work harder to drop back and help out. Again, put it down to playing out of position.

It'll all come with maturity, but, for now, I think we should be excited to have a future star in our ranks.

I love it, if I'm honest.

Yea it's really frustrating at the best of times, but the thing is, most the time he's effective. He's not as selfish as he used to be, someone mentioned he's as selfish at Cristiano in his first season. We are forgetting that this is Danny's first professional season in the Chelsea first squad, so you can't really blame the kid for getting his head down and going for himself. He's got 11 goals (if I recall properly) and most of those have been because he's been selfish.

At a time where Torres isn't on form, Drogba isn't firing on all cylinders it's Sturridge's prerogative to be selfish. Let's not forget, he's not a natural winger. It's not in his mantra (at the moment) to look for the cross and it's something he's yet to perfect. He always plays with his head up as it is, and he does try to give a pass, but his ability in short passes isn't quite up there yet tbh.

Patience is most definitely the key with Sturridge. I don't believe he warrants being dropped either because he's the most effective player in the squad, I don't buy for a second that he's 'not a team player' because he is. He has the ability to beat the full backs by running at the them, using skill and trickery to get past. He's working on that final ball and that final decision.

Like someone said, if Danny's our most immediate problem at the moment then things are quite good at the moment. I personally have no concern about Sturridge's attitude because it's something this team needs.

I'd put the desperation against Leicester down to him trying to make an impression on Stuart Pearce, who was in the stands for the game. Getting a goal or two with the current England manager watching would more or less confirm a seat for the Euros.

Yes i see what you are saying but I also think this could of worked against him. The fans were clearly becoming annoyed at his selfishness and surely Pearce would of seen this?

Yes i see what you are saying but I also think this could of worked against him. The fans were clearly becoming annoyed at his selfishness and surely Pearce would of seen this?

Its bad considering he'll be played out wide for England as well, and he can't pull stunts like that during the Euros.

BUT, you also have to remember we were playing against championship opposition in a knockout fixture and were already 2 up before half time...I think the majority of fans were disappointed because he prevented Torres' from breaking his scoring duck earlier.

Its bad considering he'll be played out wide for England as well, and he can't pull stunts like that during the Euros.

BUT, you also have to remember we were playing against championship opposition in a knockout fixture and were already 2 up before half time...I think the majority of fans were disappointed because he prevented Torres' from breaking his scoring duck earlier.

Yes but say it was against a Barcelona in a semi-final of the Champions League for example and he did that, everyone would get on his back for it. It is better he learns now then later imo.

That's where maturity comes in. It's his breaktrhough season and he's keen to make an impression; would be unfair to judge him according to the standards you'd expect from a seasoned professional. It is infinitely more annoying to see Malouda take pot shots from 30 yards because at 31 you expect players like him to display better decision making prowess. While Sturridge can get a trifle tiresome with his snapshots and penchant for impossible runs, it is tolerable at 21. And to reply to your concern, if Pearce indeed noticed this and leaves him out as a result, it's good for him to have such an experience as he can observe first hand the direct consequences of the choices he makes on the pitch. He's a kid, he can only learn.

I can't stand how selfish he is. He almost always chooses the wrong option, and he is more frustrating to watch than Malouda or Kalou - because you know he has the talent and the ability, but he is wasting it by going for glory. Pass the fucking thing you tool.

Couple points:

1. I prefer selfish Sturridge to selfless Torres. I think it's important for attackers to have desire and confidence to have a go himself.

2. He's improving. This has been brought up again because he was being especially selfish against Leicester, but I think he's a little less selfish than he used to be and he'll continue to improve.

That's where maturity comes in. It's his breaktrhough season and he's keen to make an impression; would be unfair to judge him according to the standards you'd expect from a seasoned professional. It is infinitely more annoying to see Malouda take pot shots from 30 yards because at 31 you expect players like him to display better decision making prowess. While Sturridge can get a trifle tiresome with his snapshots and penchant for impossible runs, it is tolerable at 21. And to reply to your concern, if Pearce indeed noticed this and leaves him out as a result, it's good for him to have such an experience as he can observe first hand the direct consequences of the choices he makes on the pitch. He's a kid, he can only learn.

Yes but when you see players like Juan Mata who is only 1 years older make the decisions he makes it makes you wonder. I completely understand this is his first year in a big club and playing on a regular basis out of position but the thing is he is not going to keep getting these chances if he keeps making silly mistakes like he does. Chances like these come once in a life time and he needs to take it now. Because like most of our managers I dont think Chelsea will wait around for him to become the perfect player. Instead they will go out and splash the cash like we always do.

Yes but when you see players like Juan Mata who is only 1 years older make the decisions he makes it makes you wonder. I completely understand this is his first year in a big club and playing on a regular basis out of position but the thing is he is not going to keep getting these chances if he keeps making silly mistakes like he does. Chances like these come once in a life time and he needs to take it now. Because like most of our managers I dont think Chelsea will wait around for him to become the perfect player. Instead they will go out and splash the cash like we always do.

Mata is a different breed of player. He enjoys scoring and assisting equally. Sturridge on the other hand would only pass when its literally impossible to get a shot on goal. He has talent yes but I seriously doubt he will ever be a decent winger for us.