Daniel Sturridge being selfish...

Steve

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play him through the middle, going for goal all the time isn't so much an issue then. I find his lack of awareness to be frustrating, but to be fair to him, he's trained as the main striker throughout his entire life, it must be hard to switch to a winger/support role.

I love it, if I'm honest.

Yea it's really frustrating at the best of times, but the thing is, most the time he's effective. He's not as selfish as he used to be, someone mentioned he's as selfish at Cristiano in his first season. We are forgetting that this is Danny's first professional season in the Chelsea first squad, so you can't really blame the kid for getting his head down and going for himself. He's got 11 goals (if I recall properly) and most of those have been because he's been selfish.

At a time where Torres isn't on form, Drogba isn't firing on all cylinders it's Sturridge's prerogative to be selfish. Let's not forget, he's not a natural winger. It's not in his mantra (at the moment) to look for the cross and it's something he's yet to perfect. He always plays with his head up as it is, and he does try to give a pass, but his ability in short passes isn't quite up there yet tbh.

Patience is most definitely the key with Sturridge. I don't believe he warrants being dropped either because he's the most effective player in the squad, I don't buy for a second that he's 'not a team player' because he is. He has the ability to beat the full backs by running at the them, using skill and trickery to get past. He's working on that final ball and that final decision.

Like someone said, if Danny's our most immediate problem at the moment then things are quite good at the moment. I personally have no concern about Sturridge's attitude because it's something this team needs.

I just want to reiterate what LDN Blue replied in this thread almost a month ago.

Daniel Sturridge is one heck of a talent, and heading for goal for him is hereditary. If Sturridge's "selfishness" is seen as a problem that needs to be addressed instantly then we, as Chelsea fans, have no hope of witnessing exciting football at the Bridge. Yes, he often keeps hold of the ball too long. Yes, he often makes the wrong pass. Okay, he doesn't track back as much as is expected from a winger... You want to know why? Because he's not a winger. He's a striker going through a learning curve. Not everything can revolve around him, and he can't always be the focal point of every attack - he's learning this, slowly but surely.

He's one of the finest, young, British talents plying his trade in the Premier League right now. We have him at our club. We ought to be proud, rather than jumping on the "Sturridge is too greedy" bandwagon. Not many players possess the threat he does with the ball at his feet, and it's always nice to have a player in the team that's willing to run directly at opposing defenders. It causes problems, and without Sturridge doing that, who else will threaten people by dribbling with the ball? No-one.

Sturridge is an asset to the club, and I'm fully behind him, seemingly against the majority. Give him time to improve and develop as a support striker/winger/whatever his actual role is, and he'll come good. Very good. And we'll all be laughing!*

*Whilst reading the above post, please listen to Take That - Patience, thanks.

I too believe Sturridge is selfish.

So many times, we had seen him shooting instead of passing the ball to others.

Perhaps, he should be sold ?

No player should dictate to any club as to what position he should be playing, I feel.

Therefore, I think he should be let go in the summer.

According to the latest, Roman set aside plenty of money to strengthen the club & he might not figure in Chelsea´s future.

No player should dictate to any club as to what position he should be playing, I feel.

According to the latest, Roman set aside plenty of money to strengthen the club & he might not figure in Chelsea´s future.

I actually feel a bit let down with your recent posts, was looking forward to you posting in verse; that introductory post got my hopes high :D

It's a universally-accepted fact that, on occasion, Sturridge is renowned for being too selfish. He may not be too comfortable with his role in the team, but he's happy to be playing regularly and is doing what comes natural to him: running at defenders, trying to score goals. I think "dictate" is a very strong word, as I don't believe for a second that Sturridge has been dictating anything in the dressing room. That's my first gripe.

Secondly, and more importantly, "you think he should be let go in the summer"? Are you kidding me? One of our best and brightest assets and you're prepared to let him go whilst he's still undergoing developmental changes? Sorry, but letting him go would be a foolish move, if you ask me. He's got so much talent - yes, he needs work - and surely you'd like Chelsea Football Club to nurture such a prospect as opposed to one of our arch-rivals? Say if we're not to finish in the top four and we release players such as Sturridge, it's not exactly a statement of intent, is it?

Be patient with him; get behind him; and he'll soon be firing on all (and hopefully less greedy) cylinders.

It's a universally-accepted fact that, on occasion, Sturridge is renowned for being too selfish. He may not be too comfortable with his role in the team, but he's happy to be playing regularly and is doing what comes natural to him: running at defenders, trying to score goals. I think "dictate" is a very strong word, as I don't believe for a second that Sturridge has been dictating anything in the dressing room. That's my first gripe.

Secondly, and more importantly, "you think he should be let go in the summer"? Are you kidding me? One of our best and brightest assets and you're prepared to let him go whilst he's still undergoing developmental changes? Sorry, but letting him go would be a foolish move, if you ask me. He's got so much talent - yes, he needs work - and surely you'd like Chelsea Football Club to nurture such a prospect as opposed to one of our arch-rivals? Say if we're not to finish in the top four and we release players such as Sturridge, it's not exactly a statement of intent, is it?

Be patient with him; get behind him; and he'll soon be firing on all (and hopefully less greedy) cylinders.

Well, thanks for your advice, but how many missed opportunities were seen because of him ?

I would say, his selfishness cost the blues approx. 5 goals, so far.

You say to nurture him ?

No problems there. Just do not demand dream-of position, just to pop goals in & be a star.

The Blues are very wealthy club, he could be replaced in a flash.

Well, thanks for your advice, but how many missed opportunities were seen because of him ?

I would say, his selfishness cost the blues approx. 5 goals, so far.

You say to nurture him ?

No problems there. Just do not demand dream-of position, just to pop goals in & be a star.

The Blues are very wealthy club, he could be replaced in a flash.

5 goals isn't a lot to "cost" the team. Many other players within the squad will have squandered that number of goal-scoring opportunities by being selfish and not passing to a team-mate in a better position, not just Sturridge. Yes, we've got the funds available, but that's not the right mentality. If Sturridge is aware that he'll just be loaned out/sold on after a few more mistakes - remember they are just that: mistake - then it's not helping to build confidence. He needs time to learn and develop, and I hope that fans such as yourself don't allow for Sturridge to be released as he's a great player lacking in confidence at the minute.

He is greedy, for cash at least. He's holding out for a large wage on his new contract, rumour has it, either we relent and accept his terms or we have to sell him in the summer while we can still get a good price for him.

That's our fault for giving him (if memory serves right) and £60/80k/week contract when he was like 19 or something.

--

Furthermore I'd just like to add, Sturridge's selfishness is exactly what we lack at the moment. I'm shocked that people actually suggest he should've leave the club. He's by far not someone I'd say should leave the club, he should have the next batch of Chelsea players built around himself and Mata.

5 goals isn't a lot to "cost" the team. Many other players within the squad will have squandered that number of goal-scoring opportunities by being selfish and not passing to a team-mate in a better position, not just Sturridge. Yes, we've got the funds available, but that's not the right mentality. If Sturridge is aware that he'll just be loaned out/sold on after a few more mistakes - remember they are just that: mistake - then it's not helping to build confidence. He needs time to learn and develop, and I hope that fans such as yourself don't allow for Sturridge to be released as he's a great player lacking in confidence at the minute.

I do not agree with it.

The kid must learn to pass the ball instead of trying to score from every angle.

His selfishness pisses off the other players. Either he wakes up or he will be shipped out, I feel.

Malouda, Meireles, Drogba included in the package.

According to rumors 100m will be available in the summer.

If Chelsea wants to challenge for PL, Champions titles, they need to buy more players,I feel.

Sturridge has more goals in the EPL than Torres and Drogba combined it's about time him and Lukaku are given more chances up top and the likes of Torres are moved off to the right wing before being sold off at a major loss by the club in the summer. I can tell you right now that in terms of Match winning goals Sturridge beats out both and Lukaku beats out both in hunger and drive.

It's quite easy to make a profit for Sturridge but in the end that profit will come back to bite us in the ass.

Even though, Sturridge has more goals than other player, he is still selfish player.

A habit or trait however one calls it, will be very hard to tame down, I feel.

Chelsea needs 20 goals plus striker, to acquire this summer.

Certainly, Roman knows FFP is round the corner & this summer might be the last chance, he needs to splurge big.

Sturridge is not Cheslea´s savior, the answer to much sought for Champions title.