Daniel Sturridge being selfish...

Steve

Its the fact that he plays RW forcing him to pass with his right foot which can feel awkward. A reason why i dislike left footed players for the fact that have gained some kind of phobia of using their right foot. Try him out at Left and see what he does.

Being left footed on the right wing allows him to cut inside on his preferred foot, though. If we put him on the left wing he'll become a classical hugging touchline style winger; but its more likely he'll try and shoot with his right and be even more wasteful.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have Kevin De Bruyne on loan, a lad who is 20 years old and isn't selfish because of any lack of maturity. We also have Juan Mata, at 23, just over a year older than Sturridge, who is the complete opposite to selfish and who also started out his career as a striker. For me it's not a question of maturity, it's greed through and through. Maybe it's because he wants to impress, which is admirable, but it's not coming off as perhaps he would hope.

Totally agree with you mate. Sturridge tries to impress too much. If he did the basics and just got a goal or assist every other game, he'd be on the plane to Poland/Ukraine already.

Totally agree with you mate. Sturridge tries to impress too much. If he did the basics and just got a goal or assist every other game, he'd be on the plane to Poland/Ukraine already.

I think he'll go anyway, he's worrying about nothing in my opinion. He's probably the only versatile forward thinking player England have got except for maybe Ashley Young who could possibly play behind a striker. He's a lot better then Lennon, Defoe, Bent and Adam Johnson has hardly played this season. He gets around fullbacks like they are not even there, Evra and Enrique were left for dead on route to goal. You know what ? I can't even see a scenario were he does not start let alone get a place on the plane. Rooney is out for the first 2 games and who are you going to play as your attacking 4 ? wingers and striker ?

I get so frustrated with him because he adds that ability to our offence of just skipping right past a defender or two but his decisions are sometimes SO selfish that it hurts the motivation of other attacking players.

Regarding his awkward right-foot: hasn't he created quite a few chances from passing it across the goal with that right boot??

Another big example was the Newcastle game, where we could of won 6-0, if it wern't for him being so selfish, he even took a shot on his fucking right foot on a tricky angle, that's how bad it was, when Drogba was screaming for it on the left with no defenders on him.

I understand wingers not being one dimensional, Walcott and Gervinho have been found out in games, because they never take shots they just square to Van Persie, i do understand wingers have to take shots, but Sturridge is being one dimensional by shooting and not squaring, you watch the keepers they almost know what's going to happen, it's like he is getting read in these situations, he has to be less selfish, infact you should be more willing to square than shoot, there's more chance of a goal, it's a team game, and when you play a team game, you end up getting better individual respect and accomplishments for playing as a team rather than playing for yourself.

Sturridge needs to learn that.

@Sloth but could that be because he's actually a striker and for Bolton he was playing really well and scoring goals as a STRIKER. I would of loved to of seen Liverpool playing a young Micheal Owen down the wing or Man Utd playing Hernandez down the wing. We always do this type of crap, we put square pegs in round holes. We had one of the best finishers in Europe for the last 10 years in Anelka and we basically put him on the wing his whole Chelsea Career. The one season Anelka played in the middle more often then not he won the golden BOOT !!!!!!!! :shoot:

@Sloth but could that be because he's actually a striker and for Bolton he was playing really well and scoring goals as a STRIKER. I would of loved to of seen Liverpool playing a young Micheal Owen down the wing or Man Utd playing Hernandez down the wing. We always do this type of crap, we put square pegs in round holes. We had one of the best finishers in Europe for the last 10 years in Anelka and we basically put him on the wing his whole Chelsea Career. The one season Anelka played in the middle more often then not he won the golden BOOT !!!!!!!! :shoot:

But I remember reading an article where Anelka mentioned he like playing as a left winger more than a striker.

But I remember reading an article where Anelka mentioned he like playing as a left winger more than a striker.

That might be true but he wasn't played on the left wing very often he was playing on the right while Malouda was mostly on the left

Seriously, you need to quote me, otherwise i wont know what you've said to me, i just happened to come by this thread for some reason. And yeah sure but that excuse is getting rather stupid now, they are footballers, not kids, Sturridge has to learn this is for the team, i love his attitude and his confidence but even you must admit he can't keep doing the same shit over and over again such as shooting constantly in those positions, do you actually agree with the fact when he gets into a position where the other player is left unmakred for an easy square, he takes a shot, even with his right foot and hits the side netting?, i'm not saying you do agree with it, but this has happened too many times now, if he's going to do that, then he shouldn't be getting his game, and by that i mean because he isn't going to be a striker anytime soon anyway, because i personally would play him upfront most games, even if we have no one outwide.

But yeah if he's going to be selfish then he shouldn't be playing. No players bigger than the club.

Sturridge does seem to have a real weakness when it comes to link up play. The lad needs to improve on his passing and decision-making if he wants more starts. Not only that, but whenever he does get into a shooting position his accuracy has been rather mediocre. Keepers also seem more confident when facing Sturridge because they know he will always go for the shot. With most proper CFs (and wingers) they still fear the passing option.

His selfinesh could cost us some points. He needs to learn to take the right decisions, im sure he will (or...hope).

This is the biggest worry for me. No wonder he has spent time on the bench recently.

He got the pace and skills. But the kid is gonna learn the hard way to be team player!. If i was Di Matteo

i would tell him 50 % of his play in front must end with a pass or he will be benched, that simpel. He is running like

a headless chicken and getting more and more panic because he hasnt scored for how many games?.

Easy kiddo we know you got talent, lets see you as a team player.

I don't mind him taking players on but often when he does he often goes that one step too far and looks for one more player to beat. What he does do excellently is run at full backs inside their penalty area, get to the line and pull it back and that has created so many goals such as against Man U and City.

Fantastic ability, all of the physical attributes you need to be a top player, very skillful, however in action he is the quintessential English footballer, wherein the individual takes precedence over the team unit. Considering the lack of spark and cutting edge in our team, it's not the worst thing in the world that he plays the way he does but in a more unit orientated side he wouldn't be tolerated.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I find with Danny is that after all his selfishness and poor attempts at passing he carries on doing the same thing over and over again. You see the fans have stuck by Torres because let's face it he is light years away from being a selfish footballer but i heard the fans giving stick to Danny yesterday when i saw the highlights because nobody and i mean nobody want's a selfish player on the team unless he is called Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo!

Danny has great potential and i seriously think we should put him where he want's to play, Center Forward!