Daniel Sturridge being selfish...

Steve

Selfish and overrated.

I would like to see Torres playing as a right winger in next games, just like Anelka,

He's not overrated. He's a good young player. Definitely has the ability to become a solid, goal-scoring CF in the future. Just needs to mature.

Even if he doesn't get the chance to be a CF at Chelsea, i'm sure most of the EPL sides would sign him up and give him the chance at CF.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I should label it as the "Youth" attitude or just go with "Selfish"

the guy is young and wants to get the ball behind the net agreed but RDM certainly has to sort this stuff .. he can't go on his own unless he is 100% sure that the ball will find the back of the net. He should learn from Torres, the guy should be taking a chance at every ball he gets thats how beaten he is being portrayed by the media but still plays a selfless game, barring the fact he is short of confidence... still ...

Sturridge has a great potential and I personally want to see him in blue shirt for a long time to come. He is young wants to prove himself ... we should let it pass for a while and hope that RDM/whoever comes next season grooms him into a better player :)

I gotta say there are times when he frustrates the fuck out of me! Then he has the nerve to turn around and wave his hands about when nobody passes to him. I think he is causing a bit of unrest up front and i think i spell or two in the reserves is exactly what he needs to bring his ego back down to earth. Sure he is a good player, but at what cost? we should have been up by 5 before the half..

Will never be a team player... wants to be the best in the world..... will always try the tougher option looking for glory that isnt there....

He doesnt help the team....only trying to help himself all the time...

'

"oh look at me....i just beat this player with a trick.... now im going to try to beat the next guy too.... ohhhhh drogba/torres/mata in open space!!!.....wait a second, if i can beat these last two players then maybe i can get an angle on goal and score MYSELF.ME.ME.ME."

And you know what happens after that.... he loses the ball and jogs back.

As someone said here before, i too feel this is not just young age or anything, This guy has this trait of selfishness in him. He wants to force himself into the main strikers position so will never do what a conventional winger would do and will always go for goal...... The fact that he cannot accept a certain role that is given to him, and play that role, make chances and score some as well , shows that his greed for the ST position overrules every other aspect of his mentality. Not a team player.

NANI (version 2)..... Never liked Nani.... will never like sturridge....unless he changes his game.....

Nani was supposed to have changed his game since forever.... But he and sturridge are similar players.... Hope sturridge doesnt become Nani2.

Will never be a team player... wants to be the best in the world.

The fact that he cannot accept a certain role that is given to him, and play that role, make chances and score some as well , shows that his greed for the ST position overrules every other aspect of his mentality. Not a team player.

NANI (version 2)..... Never liked Nani.... will never like sturridge....unless he changes his game.....

How do you know that he'll "never be a team player"? He's only 22, still developing, don't think we'll see the best of Sturridge for another 2-3 seasons.

And anyway, I think we should persist with him, give him the chance at CF. Putting his selfishness to one side; We're gonna need goals to win matches and this kid can score goals.

As for the Nani comparison. I never knew Nani was a CF being told to play as a winger. Always thought he was an average winger.

Nani was quality for about 6 months tbf. Then he fucked it all up when he did his shoulder practicing his backflips.

Anyway Sturridge's ego and selfishness are excellent qualities in a striker. That ego will help him through rough periods and the selfishness should make him prolific. They are not desirable in any other position though, which is why he's got to adapt to being a winger, or we've got to accommodate for him, or he's shown the door. Another thing I've been thinking about is that Jose would never have permitted such behaviour. He'd have been whipped into shape by now, Danny, had someone put their foot down. I remember Villas-Boas shouting at him to track back and getting continually ignored, Jose would never have stood for that.

Anyway Sturridge's ego and selfishness are excellent qualities in a striker. That ego will help him through rough periods and the selfishness should make him prolific. They are not desirable in any other position though, which is why he's got to adapt to being a winger, or we've got to accommodate for him

This is why we have to be patient with him! Can't be easy for him to change his player instincts like that.

I'm sure Di Matteo had some words with him after Sunday's game. His "selfishness" was more noticeable than usual and some of the other players were clearly frustrated by him - not to mention the fans were as well - so curious to see how he performs in the next few games.

It's not even as if he's been playing well recently. Add in the fact he's missed some absolute sitters, he's only forgiven because he's young and English. He should be dropped, but as we have no RW (and we still don't when he plays...) he maintains his position in the side. He is exempt from criticism for some reason. People say he's greedy; the responses range from his youthfulness to his confidence to his inexperience. They are not grounds for pardon as far as I am concerned. Danny Welbeck is a far more mature player at a more tender age. He doesn't feel the need to dribble around every player on the pitch and obnoxiously ignore players around him. He pulls off what he is doing once every dozen times, which is even less productive than Torres. You don't notice it when he's scoring, but when he isn't you realise he really is quite average, and will remain so until he matures and offers greater productivity. That being said, he shouldn't be in a state where he must learn to make the right decision, because surely every player knows shooting from some of the angles he attempts just does not work.

I agree with both arguments in that he is selfish and must learn to benefit the team, but he is also one of our best young talents at a time when we are in desperate need for fresh youth and pace in the side.

Perhaps we will find out just how greedy a player he really is in the summer, if he attempts to hold the club to ransom over wage demands with a year remaining on his contract. The club, with once again poor planning, should not find themselves in this position, but we cannot let him run his contract down.

If he does not agree a new deal, we have to sell him in the summer for as much as possible and reinvest the money in the squad. If we were forced to sell him in the summer, how much do you think we could demand with a year left on his contract? If Man City come sniffing, I'd like to think we could try and fleece £15-20m out of them, or perhaps £5-10m plus Adam Johnson?

I would rather see him stay and hopefully mature as a player because there is no doubt the raw talent and confidence is there.

I wouldn't read too much into this, he seems more selfish because he creates more opportunities for himself to shoot - he is still pretty one footed so he barely tries to cross with his right foot and doesn't seem to trust it very much. So he is reliant on his instincts a lot which lead to unsatisfying results from the right wing. When he is playing in his natural position and he gets goals regularly he won't be as selfish, it's just the lack of goals in the last 3 months that has made him a bit desperate to break his duck. If he continues like this he might warrant a few games watching the game from the bench but I feel he has a bright future leading our front line.

How do you know that he'll "never be a team player"? He's only 22, still developing, don't think we'll see the best of Sturridge for another 2-3 seasons.

And anyway, I think we should persist with him, give him the chance at CF. Putting his selfishness to one side; We're gonna need goals to win matches and this kid can score goals.

As for the Nani comparison. I never knew Nani was a CF being told to play as a winger. Always thought he was an average winger.

Haha he might become a team player at some point.... but by the current behavior and his interviews at times, it doesnt seem so......

And The Nani comparison was solely on the selfish part..... He was selfish as a youngster, and people thought he will learn... then people said once ronaldo leaves he will become mature and become a team player.... now after everything... most manu fans dislike the guy cuz while he has skill and pace... He is selfish and doesnt play for the team.

Sturridge is walking the same path at the moment.... Someone needs to sit him down and have a real chat.

Sturridge and Torres need to sit together....

Sturridge re-configures Torres' shooting foot,

Torres reconfigures Sturridge's Brain.

Its the fact that he plays RW forcing him to pass with his right foot which can feel awkward. A reason why i dislike left footed players for the fact that have gained some kind of phobia of using their right foot. Try him out at Left and see what he does.

It's not even as if he's been playing well recently. Add in the fact he's missed some absolute sitters, he's only forgiven because he's young and English. He should be dropped, but as we have no RW (and we still don't when he plays...) he maintains his position in the side. He is exempt from criticism for some reason. People say he's greedy; the responses range from his youthfulness to his confidence to his inexperience. They are not grounds for pardon as far as I am concerned. Danny Welbeck is a far more mature player at a more tender age. He doesn't feel the need to dribble around every player on the pitch and obnoxiously ignore players around him. He pulls off what he is doing once every dozen times, which is even less productive than Torres. You don't notice it when he's scoring, but when he isn't you realise he really is quite average, and will remain so until he matures and offers greater productivity. That being said, he shouldn't be in a state where he must learn to make the right decision, because surely every player knows shooting from some of the angles he attempts just does not work.

We have Kevin De Bruyne on loan, a lad who is 20 years old and isn't selfish because of any lack of maturity. We also have Juan Mata, at 23, just over a year older than Sturridge, who is the complete opposite to selfish and who also started out his career as a striker. For me it's not a question of maturity, it's greed through and through. Maybe it's because he wants to impress, which is admirable, but it's not coming off as perhaps he would hope.

I'm not saying he's not allowed to score, I'm saying that he shouldn't be trying to barge through defenders every game and try take a shot from the base line, if there's a chance to pass the ball into the center he should take it..i guarantee we would be more dangerous.

I disagree. I think that is exacly what he should do, because that is what he does best and that is what we need. We need a striker who is technical and can dribble past defenders and get into the box.

At the very least we need someone who can make chances for himself. Sturridge appears selfish when most "chances" are created by him and wasted by him; if we had a few more players able to create an opening for themselves we wouldn't be in such a mess.