Daniel Sturridge being selfish...

Steve

I'm just thinking back earlier in the season, where he did score a lot of goals, that he didn't seem to be as selfish back then, he has only scored 1 goal this year and that was in the FA Cup against Birmingham, his last Premier League goal was back in December 20th 2011.

He hasn't scored in his last 7 appearances. Maybe his just desperate to break his goal drought and when his gets the ball he just has one thing on his mind and that's to shot and score, his still only young and his eager to score, he'll mature and get better at taking the right option and come to realise that an assist is just as good as a goal.

Looking at Daniel Sturridge stats for this season, he has had 32 appearances, 98 shots, with 40 of them being on target, 11 goals and 4 assists.

Where you look at Mata who's only had a couple more appearances then Sturridge, he has 10 goals this season with 13 assists and a total of 76 shots at goal.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mata is a different breed of player. He enjoys scoring and assisting equally. Sturridge on the other hand would only pass when its literally impossible to get a shot on goal. He has talent yes but I seriously doubt he will ever be a decent winger for us.

Obviously but my point is that until he can break into that roll of being the main striker he has to become that sort of player because he will get over looked by better players like Didier and now we also have Lukaku who has clearly been brought in for that Drogba replacement.

Crosses into the penalty box are such an important part of our attack..as winger he needs to be providing them. Yeah he's playing out of position, but it's where he's been put so he has to do the job.

And if he would have done that, crossing instead of getting into the box and score, we would have won less matches and we would be less dangerous.

He consistently makes bad decisions. You call it good play but I'd rather see him square the ball for a tap-in for another player than see him try and dribble around the goalkeeper twice, six defenders and the manager before shooting from an impossible angle. He isn't Lionel Messi, and never will be.

He'd be twice the player if he passed the ball and made better decisions. You'd think he'd learn from Drogba on how to be be a great player. His selfishness pisses me off as we could be getting goals, yet he just wastes them not creating. If he keeps the greed and selfishness up, he can get the fuck out of Chelsea Football Club.

Yeah, can't afford selfishness (especially when there's no end product despite a selfish shot/dribble) at any level of football. He'd better fix himself up, or we can give him a map to Etihad Stadium. And at the moment we haven't got the resources at right back to allow a right winger a free role with no defensive responsibilities.

I just dont see him changing to be honest. Its not about maturity. You can tell by the way he acts, he wants to be the centre of attention. He wont change...mark my words. We dont need a player like that on the wing.

Watching sunday was frustrating, i understand why he is selfish and kind of admire him for it, he is young and trying to impress RDM and the pearce. At the moment his selfishness shows why he is not ready to be in his natural postion, he need to mature, learn how to use both feet, i think he will watch the video of sudays game and see it for his self, IMO at the moment the right wing is the best place for him to learn is game, and when he is ready to move up top and be compeating with Torres. What i do think at the moment the position we are in he should check back and realise that at the moment its not abount individuals, its about the team. I like him, i didnt really 'get' him but i do know and really like him he offers something we have lacked for quite a while and think he will be massive in his prime. hand round the shoulder constructive critasim.

He'd be twice the player if he passed the ball and made better decisions. You'd think he'd learn from Drogba on how to be be a great player. His selfishness pisses me off as we could be getting goals, yet he just wastes them not creating. If he keeps the greed and selfishness up, he can get the fuck out of Chelsea Football Club.

Is everyone simply forgetting this is his first professionally season in the Chelsea first team? That's he's not actually a winger so he's got the last-man mentality? That his direct approach to goal has actually got him 11-important goals this season?

Give the lad a break. Even Drogba was/is selfish at the best of times.. Even more so when he first came and struggled.

If he really want to impress Stuart Pearce, He should pass more. No manager want a player to shoot when his teammate is in the better position

In fact it show bad decision making which can cause a team a game.

We should not defend danny for his selfishness because he is not 18 anymore, he is 23.

He remind me of ronaldo who used to be very selfish (he pass more this days) but Ronaldo is super good and danny is no where close to his level

He has always been selfish and had the same attitude but you criticize him now. How come? Earlier when a person says that Sturridge is selfish somebody would brought a statistics of his goals and assists conveniently forgetting all the times he refused to make an assist in favour of shooting himself from almost impossible angles. And discussion would have begun about how talented and promising winger he is, only needs to mature.

But now he is not scoring and almost everybody finds him selfish. The lad has striker's place taken for himself, and that's it. He will do whatever it takes to prove he is worth of that place in the team , and English squad. It's not the question of immaturity it's a question of aims. Unlike many of you, he is not interested in becoming winger. My opinion, anyway.

As a winger he has pace and trickery, but that's it. He is a good player but the lack of any kind of football brain makes him suspicious to be genuinely top level winger. He is characterized laughably poor decision making but with pace and tricks that make him look a lot better than he actually is. Also has a selfish, unpleasant side as well and a massive ego/attitude problem from what I can tell. He sulks often and wants to have the side built around him, playing to his strengths. He honestly does think he is that good , which remains to be seen.

People seem to want to forgive him his attitude, decision making, lack of effort (yes, I do mean that) and self-styling himself as a goal-machine , and refusing to pass the bloody ball.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he isn't, and he is certainly talented in terms of his pace, acceleration and skill but has very little else to offer as a winger and a lot of attitude problems.

Should be a striker .

And will score against City to prove me wrong.

He simply shouldnt be played every game.... let him sit on the bench and THINK. All other players look to score and to make goals..... He goes broke everytime. It almost seems like he has bet his house on him scoring, so he must try at every oppurtunity.

I dont want Sturridge as our CF if we play a lone striker ever. If we start playing two upfront then i guess its fine.... but he still will not help his strike partner....too solo... the types who would do great at a smaller club.... but this mentality will not work at a club like chelsea.... change it or change teams.

Like someone else mentioned, and i too have noticed.... our team players stop trying and making runs when sturridge gets the ball.... he de motivates his own team.... What a player!!

He has impressed already and he has a starting position in the team... So the argument that he wants to prove himself does not stand...... Now he must be benched if he cant play for the team... He loses the ball so many times in crucial moments because he doesnt want to pass the ball, but instead wants to beat players all the time...its quite pathetic really. And then his tracking and defending are non existent...

Someone needs to sit him down... sadly a manager like ferguson would have already given him the bottomline.... play for the team or sit on the bench till you want to play for the team again. Its not Sturridge FC. Berbatov is an example...scored goals but did not work hard enough for the team consistently.... he isnt starting.

He won his place in the team and should lose it too if his arrogance and selfishness does not improve. His trickery means nothing if there is no end product. There are 10 other players who can make that product if he passes the ball..... and then people will be chanting his name and scorers pointing their hands at Sturridges back to say "He's the man".... he created it.... or scored it.... Those are the sort of accolades he should be looking to get....

He is now a Right winger. Play the role, or sit on the bench and watch drogba.... Or Torres. I dont think he is all that as a striker anyways... scored goals but did not do anything spectacular at Bolton... He was great with his trickery and speed.... Those attributes make for a great goal scoring winger.... And so he got his chance..... He needs to learn.... Or slowly fans will stop appreciating his good intentions.

I'm Tired of this guy. Hopefully he comes around, but for that he needs to be told by Someone, which i really dont think has happened yet......

There need to be some sturridge Jokes now.

Dont slam me now. Its just my opinion.

You get these types of strikers that are selfish and extremely confident. Danny needs to grow up a little and learn to pick the right pass (which is extremley difficult, i reckon). For Torres´ first goal however he picked the right pass for Raul.

It is just a matter of time, as always, a frustrating one to watch but i am sure he learns quickly.

To be fair, he scored some good goals and got into good positions, so i can understand (but not justify) why he tries to score always.