Axel Witsel

Nic!

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actually not to keen on signing Pogba because of Chalobah as the ages clash which you are right about, Witsel on the other hand is what 24/25? so by the time Chalobah is 23 Witsel will be approaching his 30's.

You are right in the point that Chalobah should have been playing PL football this season, whether that was for us or someone on loan, but i have no doubt he will make it here and will be our next long term captain in my book.

I have major doubts because we fucked him over this season. I mentioned it in another thread but I think one could make a case for almost every young player either stagnating or regressing since Jose came into the club (yes it's a short time, yes there are factors etc.).

The age thing is why I'd love us to get Alonso. He knows the league, he knows Mourinho, he's proven at the highest level and he would compliment our young players fantastically. Witsel is a good player but we're paying over the odds for someone who went from the Belgian leagues, to the Portuguese league, to the Russian league.

He'd cost over DOUBLE the price Spurs paid for Dembele. In fact the rumoured price is essentially the same as Yaya Toure PLUS Dembele.

Alonso is 31 (nearly 32) - that really isn't that old.

What's amazing to me is that we're also looking at Pogba (who was a young lad given a shot by a big team), whilst Southampton are above us having given chances to Ward-Prowse and Shaw. Yet we're afraid to actually give someone like Nat Chalobah a go.

Instead we're looking at spending £40 million on Witsel - a very good player but that is a lot of money to spend.

It's pretty old compared alongside Witsel, Gundogan, Pogba, Chalobah etc. who we'd get much more milage out of.

I see Nat as a better option than Lampard right now and, if he keeps going the way he is, he'll also surpass Mikel easily. So in a perfect world we would have Chalobah developing in the pivot at this very moment. But we're not in a perfect world; we're Chelsea, not Southampton and we're in the most competitive league in the world, not the Serie A.

But Witsel is perhaps the best DM in the world right now. At this moment he could have the capability of changing the whole dynamic of our team because he's the player we've been craving for years.

It looks like Nat's time will have to come later. Essien's contract won't be renewed and Lampard could be on the way out in the next season or two. So he could very well be 3rd choice for us next season or the season after. That isn't bad for someone who'll still be under 21 playing for a team like Chelsea.

I have major doubts because we fucked him over this season. I mentioned it in another thread but I think one could make a case for almost every young player either stagnating or regressing since Jose came into the club (yes it's a short time, yes there are factors etc.).

The age thing is why I'd love us to get Alonso. He knows the league, he knows Mourinho, he's proven at the highest level and he would compliment our young players fantastically. Witsel is a good player but we're paying over the odds for someone who went from the Belgian leagues, to the Portuguese league, to the Russian league.

He'd cost over DOUBLE the price Spurs paid for Dembele. In fact the rumoured price is essentially the same as Yaya Toure PLUS Dembele.

Im not to sure on that, i think the reason we left it until after the August window because we were trying to find him a PL club, when that was unsuccessful we then had no choice but to look at the Championship again.

While i can see where you are coming from regarding Alonso, i think we can do with a player approaching his prime which Witsel is, if there is one thing our squad lack it's players in the 25-29 bracket, i can't see Alonso leaving Madrid personally.

Yeah Witsel might have not played in the PL yet but sometimes that works out because he will be hungry to make that step up (like say Carvalho was) and he has proven himself at International stage (all be it around great players like you said) and in the Champions League against top opponents.

I think he is worth the risk, but i wouldn't exactly complain with Alonso either.

It's pretty old compared alongside Witsel, Gundogan, Pogba, Chalobah etc. who we'd get much more milage out of.

I see Nat as a better option than Lampard right now and, if he keeps going the way he is, he'll also surpass Mikel easily. So in a perfect world we would have Chalobah developing in the pivot at this very moment. But we're not in a perfect world; we're Chelsea, not Southampton and we're in the most competitive league in the world, not the Serie A.

But Witsel is perhaps the best DM in the world right now. At this moment he could have the capability of changing the whole dynamic of our team because he's the player we've been craving for years.

It looks like Nat's time will have to come later. Essien's contract won't be renewed and Lampard could be on the way out in the next season or two. So he could very well be 3rd choice for us next season or the season after. That isn't bad for someone who'll still be under 21 playing for a team like Chelsea.

He's roughly the same age as Makelele was when we signed him. He's proven in this league and he's worked under Jose. I can't imagine he'd be much more than a quarter of Witsel's price too.

Nat should've been developing in the Premier League this season, and like Lukaku I think it should've been with us rather than sticking with Essien/Mikel/Ba/Eto'o. Instead we're being linked with Witsel and Falcao - the twin stars of the Russian and French leagues respectively (except they're not because Hulk and Ibra probably are).

He's a good player but he's in far too inferior a competition to say he's best in the world. Yes he's looked good for Belgium but they're an exceptional team right now. A few months ago you'd get a few people saying Paulinho was the player we needed but he's had a few struggles (he also cost £17 million which is less than HALF what Witsel is being quoted at - there's just no value in this transfer).

Im not to sure on that, i think the reason we left it until after the August window because we were trying to find him a PL club, when that was unsuccessful we then had no choice but to look at the Championship again.

While i can see where you are coming from regarding Alonso, i think we can do with a player approaching his prime which Witsel is, if there is one thing our squad lack it's players in the 25-29 bracket, i can't see Alonso leaving Madrid personally.

Yeah Witsel might have not played in the PL yet but sometimes that works out because he will be hungry to make that step up (like say Carvalho was) and he has proven himself at International stage (all be it around great players like you said) and in the Champions League against top opponents.

I think he is worth the risk, but i wouldn't exactly complain with Alonso either.

I don't think Alonso will leave after the Khedira injury and that's a shame.

There is just so much risk associated with this transfer and the price is absurd. I just can't keep thinking of other transfers that make us look like we're overpaying (Fellaini, proven in the league and over £10 million cheaper) whilst marginalising our own developments. Maybe that's a consequence of neglecting the midfield for so long but I think I'd be happier sticking with Mikel until next summer.

With the way Mourinho plays, i'm sure witsel fits the profile.

40mil for a player you actually really need for the spot going against a30 million payed for another AM then I can't really see the financial problem Some are making out of this.

Altho mou was in the stands at the Bel-Col game I don't believe he was there to have a look at Witsel, think my point will be proven if he shows up at Netherlands-Col tonight;)

With the way Mourinho plays, i'm sure witsel fits the profile.

40mil for a player you actually really need for the spot going against a30 million payed for another AM then I can't really see the financial problem Some are making out of this.

Altho mou was in the stands at the Bel-Col game I don't believe he was there to have a look at Witsel, think my point will be proven if he shows up at Netherlands-Col tonight;)

I'd say the player we actually needed was someone like De Rossi - a proven leader.

At £25 million this deal actually makes a lot of sense (comparable to the prices paid for Fellaini, Luiz, Toure etc.) but £40 million is a big step up.

But maybe he becomes our Javi Martinez - comparable price and in a similar position in their careers....urgh. This is just one of those transfers where you cover your eyes and hope it works out for the best. It's not a Courtois where you end up buying a world-class player on the cheap and boast about it.

If we sign him, let us never disclose the figure and never even guess the numbers involved. Let's all just look at his pretty hair and pray to fuck that he isn't shit.

Southampton have stated that their aim is Champions League football, so that's a fair amount of pressure. They're also off to a pretty good start despite promoting youth, and it's not really a new thing with them.

Wilsere had one loan spell and was then put into the first team - we gave Nat a loan spell and then fucked him around at the start of this season.

Pogba at United is an example of what happens when you don't give youngsters a shot. Still, for that one example there are countless other examples of young players getting a shot at United (Januzaj being the latest) - I don't think we can say there isn't pressure of expectation at United can we?

Like I said, I like Witsel but £40 million for a guy who has never played in a top quality league is a bit of a risk and I also think it's another step in the wrong direction for what this club should be doing. At some point the academy needs to start contributing to the first-team in a meaningful way. Mourinho right now has more freedom to take risks than any manager has in almost a decade, but instead we're flitting between Lampard and Mikel once again.

I agree on giving our kids some chance, but we desperately need some top class players on peak. We have zero such players. Either we have too old like Terry or Lamps or we have too young like Hazard or Oscar. Thats why we have no stability, sometimes we play realy good and then next game bad. We need player(s) who give it every fucking game like Rvp or Vidal and can push team forward alone and make difference alone, indipendent on form of others. Mata was doing that for us last year, now we have to find new player that suits Mou.

I agree on giving our kids some chance, but we desperately need some top class players on peak. We have zero such players. Either we have too old like Terry or Lamps or we have too young like Hazard or Oscar. Thats why we have no stability, sometimes we play realy good and then next game bad. We need player(s) who give it every fucking game like Rvp or Vidal and can push team forward alone and make difference alone, indipendent on form of others. Mata was doing that for us last year, now we have to find new player that suits Mou.

How do we develop 'top class players on peak' without giving the kids a chance to grow in the team? Spend more money?

Which team is top of the league? Who is the top scorer in the league?

How do we develop 'top class players on peak' without giving the kids a chance to grow in the team? Spend more money?

Which team is top of the league? Who is the top scorer in the league?

Read my post again. I didnt say we develop top players, but we should buy top players. Yes we have to spend money for that. We bought enough talent already, we need some quality aswell like.

Sturridge wouldn never work out here, its irony of our club. We buy/develp plenty of young future players, but we dont give them chance and trust.

Arsenal is on top, but lets see end of season. And overall, I realy dont want Chelsea compare to Arsenal, nor want Chelsea to follow arsenal steps, they are trophyless for ages...

If you talk about being top and being consistent, Witsel is just that: consistent as hell. This is really quite extraordinary for his tender age. He just always delivers and imo that is what we need: consistent, class, performing and young.

Read my post again. I didnt say we develop top players, but we should buy top players. Yes we have to spend money for that. We bought enough talent already, we need some quality aswell like.

Sturridge wouldn never work out here, its irony of our club. We buy/develp plenty of young future players, but we dont give them chance and trust.

Arsenal is on top, but lets see end of season. And overall, I realy dont want Chelsea compare to Arsenal, nor want Chelsea to follow arsenal steps, they are trophyless for ages...

Why don't we try and develop top players though? Why haven't we given the likes of Lukaku and Chalobah a chance to bed in?

There's such a desire for trophies that no-one really gives a fuck about the future of this club. They just want immediate success.

There's a middle ground between us and Arsenal, where we spend money and develop young talent - unfortunately Arsenal seem to have realised this as well which is why they're doing so well so far. There's so much more satisfaction to be had from developing talent rather than just buying it. Of course we could win the title this year just by throwing money at it and there would be plenty of supporters who would love that, but it's empty.

Why don't we try and develop top players though? Why haven't we given the likes of Lukaku and Chalobah a chance to bed in?

There's such a desire for trophies that no-one really gives a fuck about the future of this club. They just want immediate success.

There's a middle ground between us and Arsenal, where we spend money and develop young talent - unfortunately Arsenal seem to have realised this as well which is why they're doing so well so far. There's so much more satisfaction to be had from developing talent rather than just buying it. Of course we could win the title this year just by throwing money at it and there would be plenty of supporters who would love that, but it's empty.

The board should start a academy type of policy,where at least 2 players get the opportunity to make it in the first team with having played a minimum number of minutes each season.

The board should start a academy type of policy,where at least 2 players get the opportunity to make it in the first team with having played a minimum number of minutes each season.

Maybe Uefa/FA make a rule where every club has to name a player that was at the club before 16 either in the lineup or the bench on a matchday? or even better let us have 11 subs.

He's roughly the same age as Makelele was when we signed him. He's proven in this league and he's worked under Jose. I can't imagine he'd be much more than a quarter of Witsel's price too.

Nat should've been developing in the Premier League this season, and like Lukaku I think it should've been with us rather than sticking with Essien/Mikel/Ba/Eto'o. Instead we're being linked with Witsel and Falcao - the twin stars of the Russian and French leagues respectively (except they're not because Hulk and Ibra probably are).

He's a good player but he's in far too inferior a competition to say he's best in the world. Yes he's looked good for Belgium but they're an exceptional team right now. A few months ago you'd get a few people saying Paulinho was the player we needed but he's had a few struggles (he also cost £17 million which is less than HALF what Witsel is being quoted at - there's just no value in this transfer).

You're complaining about us buying players and loaning youth, but who are you complaining about exactly? If I was a lesser poster I would just resort to the 'Mourinho knows more about football than anyone here' argument...

Sometimes you just have to accept the nature of the business and the club. Abramovich is all about results and we all know what happens when he doesn't get them, so it makes it even less likely for us to gamble on youth - no matter the potential, there is still a risk. Right now we can only hope that they develop nicely somewhere else and that their position isn't overflowed when they return. Nat still has a great chance as long as he makes the most of his loans because the likes of Lampard, Mikel and Essien aren't getting any better. He is.

And until there is some rule that backs youth development, I don't really see things changing.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You