Axel Witsel

Nic!

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I don't have enough time now to answer this point by point, but generally, why would Witsel come here when he can have a much bigger role at Juventus who are already a top European team.

Ramires won't lose his role in the team. There has been no such indications at all and Jose is obviously a very big fan of his.

Can't see how CM is the main issue when we are only talking about possibly signing a backup player. Even Jose has said that this the area where we are most stable in.

Mourinho said we will get a midfielder. And it wouldn't be just a backup , as I said before matic - cesc is insufficient to tackle europes best and Manchester city ect. Mikel and ramires play their part , but are poor like 50% of the time and have had some injuries.

And if we are concerned with rlc , he might be better off playing cam for now anyway.

Suicidal? We're talking about a slightly better backup player!

5 players for 2 positions would be a total waste. May I remind you that throughout lasts season we had 3 CBs for 2 positions. The third CB was Zouma who barely got a few matches at CB. Jose does not rotate or change his team.

So you're fine with completely burning out Matic and Cesc so their level craters towards the end of the season like last campaign? I wouldn't bank on our rivals being as shit or inconsistent as they were last season.

If EITHER of our first choice CM's get long injuries the quality of their backups falls off a cliff.

Sorry I don't have enough time now to answer this point by point, but generally, why would Witsel come here when he can have a much bigger role at Juventus who are already a top European team.

Ramires won't lose his role in the team. There has been no such indications at all and Jose is obviously a very big fan of his.

Can't see how CM is the main issue when we are only talking about possibly signing a backup player. Even Jose has said that this the area where we are most stable in.

Juventus arent going for Witsel yet, i think he's an option if Pogba leaves this summer. But again, Witsel is only an example, not the only option.

I dont know what do you mean by "indications". And i dont buy Jose's words from the beginning of the season. 2 weeks ago he said he wants a Midfielder... so?

I dont see it as a "backup player" when this player is going to start in almost every big game we play (like Remires/Mikel/Zouma this season).

Obviously you dont see it the same way, and you think Ramires/Mikel in our XI in a lot of games is fine (including CL games against Bayern, Barcelona, PSG, Real, Juve.. what a joy to have them against those teams) , so i dont see the point in continuing this discussion tbh.

Im thinking the opposite. imo going with Matic, Cesc, Ramires, Mikel would be an horrible idea, i dont even want to think its possible, that would mean we dont really want to improve and Mourinho is fine with his side (when i dont believe we're signing an elite RW).

Guys, I know you're all trying to make a point but can we please have a bit more respect for Ramires and Mikel?

Let's agree to disagree about Mikel and Rami being adequate backups but let's please also agree to stop disrespecting them and saying and implying that they are beneath us especially when those two helped us win so much in the past.

Guys, I know you're all trying to make a point but can we please have a bit more respect for Ramires and Mikel?

Let's agree to disagree about Mikel and Rami being adequate backups but let's please also agree to stop disrespecting them and saying and implying that they are beneath us especially when those two helped us win so much in the past.

Don't bother trying to convince a lot of these guys. I spent most of my summer 2014 trying to get people to show Mikel a tad of respect.

Thats a very weird comment... respect? its not about respect, i just dont think they're good enough for crucial roles in a top european team, in a club that aims to be the best. Everyone has his own opinion about players, and its just football after all.

And im saying that when i actually like Ramires as a player, in some periods he was awesome for us. Mikel also helped us during his long time in the club, never rated him but i do remember his good performances. With that being said, i dont think we should rely on thier talent anymore when we're trying to improve (well, Mikel didnt played a lot last season anyway).

Mikel and Ramires are fine squad players, the exact type you want in a lot of ways. Ramires is all action, scores goals, covers a lot of ground and positions. Mikel will go months without playing and come into the champions league fixture and play a blinder. These are the types you want in your squad, they don't publicly complain about playing time and when called upon they can deliver.

Witsel will have to show that he can perform in a limited role to be compared to either of these two, its not as easy as some might think!

Mikel and Ramires are fine squad players, the exact type you want in a lot of ways. Ramires is all action, scores goals, covers a lot of ground and positions. Mikel will go months without playing and come into the champions league fixture and play a blinder. These are the types you want in your squad, they don't publicly complain about playing time and when called upon they can deliver.

I dont care if they stay in the team for limited roles, but i think you can agree Ramires shouldnt start the big games for us, when you always talk about Pogba coming here. Someone has to come, even if its not Pogba.

Thats a very weird comment... respect? its not about respect, i just dont think they're good enough for crucial roles in a top european team, in a club that aims to be the best. Everyone has his own opinion about players, and its just football after all.

And im saying that when i actually like Ramires as a player, in some periods he was awesome for us. Mikel also helped us during his long time in the club, never rated him but i do remember his good performances. With that being said, i dont think we should rely on thier talent anymore when we're trying to improve (well, Mikel didnt played a lot last season anyway).

I think what you're missing is the fact that its hard to get players of an elite level to come here and sit on the bench, let alone come here, sit on the bench then perform when called upon. Not a skill many possess. You talk of top clubs but who of them have bench players you value in the midfield? Real Madrid? Illaramendi(at €32.2M), Khedira who wanted 200k to play for Arsenal? Barca? Adriano, Roberto, Xavi...?

Look, you are a very strong opinionated individual but every now and then you let FM 15 cloud your judgment about what is feasibly possible at big clubs. No one wants to sit on the bench, furthermore you aren't going to get top talent to come here and sit on the bench.

If we sign Witsel its awesome, he'll cost about the same as mikel and potentially may provide a bit more of what we need in a back up. That doesn't make Mikel or Ramires shit we're just looking to freshen up the roster.

Mikel was a serviceable CM who was always ready to play, not something you can say for many bench players.

I dont care if they stay in the team for limited roles, but i think you can agree Ramires shouldnt start the big games for us, when you always talk about Pogba coming here. Someone has to come, even if its not Pogba.

This has nothing to do with my wanting Pogba! My Pogba obsession stems from the fact I think he will make our midfield the most feared in all football for many years. Ramires is more than fine to start big games for us, it just depends on what role you assign him and how you'd like the team to play. Ramires was injured for large portions of last year but the year before he played a shit ton of big games and did a decent job for us. He wasn't great this year but Ramires is a near perfect squad player, part of the reason why both Ancelotti and Jose love him so much.

I think what you're missing is the fact that its hard to get players of an elite level to come here and sit on the bench, let alone come here, sit on the bench then perform when called upon. Not a skill many possess. You talk of top clubs but who of them have bench players you value in the midfield? Real Madrid? Illaramendi(at €32.2M), Khedira who wanted 200k to play for Arsenal? Barca? Adriano, Roberto, Xavi...?

Look you are a very strong opinionated individual but every now and then you let FM 15 cloud your judgment about what is feasibly possible at big clubs. No one wants to sit on the bench, furthermore you aren't going to get top talent to come here and sit on the bench.

If we sign Witsel its awesome, he'll cost about the same as mikel and potentially may provide a bit more of what we need in a back up. That doesn't make Mikel or Ramires shit we're just looking to freshen up the roster.

Mikel was a serviceable CM who was always ready to play, not something you can say for many bench players.

Ok... lol? i dont think we should get personal (like you just did talking to me as an "individual" :ph34r: ) but you're the one who's telling us about buying Pogba.. so im the FM15 guy for wanting a new CM for 18m euros?

There are people here who talk about Reus, Bale, Messi and Pogba for god sake.. and im the FM guy.. ok. Anyway - I think most of this forum thinks we need a CM.

I am well aware that not every player would come to sit on the bench during many games, but it happens in all top teams. Here's a list of players who dont know if they're going to start the next game, or know they wont:

Isco, Varane, Pepe, Gotze, Muller, J.Maritnez, Pastore, Lucas, Cabaye, Nasri, Marqionuos, Coentrao, Pedro... and the list can go on.

And if i had to chose, the CM i would get is playing for Udinese right now. Not someone who's considered "elite level", Ramires has a bigger "name" than him, he's just a better footballer.

The reality is very simple, our midfield in most games is Matic-Cesc-Oscar-Willian-Hazard, but Mourinho doesnt feel comfortable playing them in the big games.. so when Ramires is the guy who comes to fill that "Balance role", we're not good enough, not good like we want to be.

The solutions are either A) Mourinho needs to trust this line up in every game B ) Get someone who's better than Ramires.

ramires is good enough to start any game for us imo, mikel no.... hence witsel would be perfect replacement for mikel and we would still have fab, matic, rami and witsel to choose from to form a midfield two... that's pretty decent flexibility if you ask me

I am well aware that not every player would come to sit on the bench during many games, but it happens in all top teams. Here's a list of players who dont know if they're going to start the next game, or know they wont:

Isco, Varane, Pepe, Gotze, Muller, J.Maritnez, Pastore, Lucas, Cabaye, Nasri, Marqionuos, Coentrao, Pedro... and the list can go on.

And if i had to chose, the CM i would get is playing for Udinese right now. Not someone who's considered "elite level", Ramires has a bigger "name" than him, he's just a better footballer.

The reality is very simple, our midfield in most games is Matic-Cesc-Oscar-Willian-Hazard, but Mourinho doesnt feel good playing them in the big games.. so when Ramires is the guy who comes to fill that "Balance role", we're not good enough to compete the best teams.

Very simple. The solutions are either A) Mourinho needs to trust this line up in every game B ) Get someone who's better than Ramires.

So what you've gathered is the best teams have loads of attacking strength? Who of those names are squad guys that can come in a do job in the midfield for you?

Isco started 26 games...

Varane wants out...

Pepe made the most appearances out of all their CB's...

Gotze made the second most starts to Neuer...

Muller the same amount... 28 starts.

Martinez has been injured but if I'm to give you credit here I must also point out Bayern activated his buyout at €40m(are you advocating we do the same?)

Pastore 31 starts...

Moura got injured but made 22 starts...

Cabaye wants out...

Nasri is shit... and injured.

Marquinos is young...

Coentrao injured and we have Luis in a similar role.

Pedro unlucky.

I'm wondering if you even bothered to look this stuff up? Its clear to me that finding high calibre squad players, the types that can win you a game and not see a drop off in spot starts, are hard to come by. Everyone wants to play and the better ones won't settle for a reduced role when they can go elsewhere and start.

And in your opinion Witsel is better than Ramires and is the difference between us getting to a champions league final? hmmmm.... not so sure of that.

So what you've gathered is the best teams have loads of attacking strength? Who of those names are squad guys that can come in a do job in the midfield for you?

Isco started 26 games...

Varane wants out...

Pepe made the most appearances out of all their CB's...

Gotze made the second most starts to Neuer...

Muller the same amount... 28 starts.

Martinez has been injured but if I'm to give you credit here I must also point out Bayern activated his buyout at €40m(are you advocating we do the same?)

Pastore 31 starts...

Moura got injured but made 22 starts...

Cabaye wants out...

Nasri is shit... and injured.

Marquinos is young...

Coentrao injured and we have Luis in a similar role.

Pedro unlucky.

I'm wondering if you even bothered to look this stuff up? Its clear to me that finding high calibre squad players, the types that can win you a game and not see a drop off in spot starts, are hard to come by. Everyone wants to play and the better ones won't settle for a reduced role when they can go elsewhere and start.

And in your opinion Witsel is better than Ramires and is the difference between us getting to a champions league final? hmmmm.... not so sure of that.

I've gathered a list of players who can start a game, but also can sit on the bench - in a full healty squad most of them are not regular starters. Same job Ramires is doing here.

Players like Gotze, Muller and Isco started so many games because of injuries, in a full squad they would have started less.

Ramires (who started 18 games in all competitions) probably would've started more games if he wasnt injured for some time this season, and he would've started even more if Cesc, Willian or Oscar were injured for a long time.

People also talk about our starting players playing game after game without any rest... in the start of the season Mourinho kept playing the same midfield every game because he didnt believe in his squad options.

Better "squad players" would also help keeping everybody fresh for a long season.

Again you talk about Witsel, but he's just an example for me. But yeah, a better CM than Ramires could help us reach higher achievements in CL... off course it would only help.

If Witsel or any CM comes here, his motivation would also be to prove he's better for the team than the regular #10 - Oscar/Willian. So he'll start next to Matic and Cesc and not them.

I think Mourinho acknowledge this stuff when he talked about "creating competition in the squad" a few weeks ago.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You