New Chelsea Manager

But I obviously am! Meireles left Porto for Liverpool just after AVB assumed power, I'm not sure if Raul even played a game under AVB. Either you weren't aware of that fact or we have a different understanding of how footballing relations work. The fact that Meireles did very well in a mid-table PL club and his hard-working footballing profile/style counted more for the club than his short familiarity with AVB.

For me their their familiarity and root at Porto suggest he was a AVB recommendation.

On Romeu: Again I find giving the credits for his signing to AVB rather simplistic. Scouting Barcelona's reserves is definitely something than more than a couple dozen clubs do and signing a 2nd defensive midfielder to strengthen an extremely weak and thin midfield doesn't take a genius.

AVB also wanted Romeu at Porto before he left, a player that he wanted well before he moved to Chelsea. Romeu has said that AVB convinced him to join Chelsea. We definitely needed to booster the DM, but if it wasn't for AVB that person wasne't going to be Romeu.

It is a collective decision, but the manager has a stronger role in transfers. Not all signings are brought up them, but they still have their input. Example Kevin De Bruyne, Lukaku, and Courtois.

The last manager who threw a tantrum over power games was Mourinho. The very prospect of being one of the highest earners in football and having a team that you could potentially turn into winners while experiencing the very highest level in club football is enough to attract the biggest names, ask Ancelotti. The myth of a manager who has absolute power is dispelled in our case and while managers will always strive for greater control and unless you are Ferguson, Mourinho or Wenger you are extremely unlikely to be given the sort of power football managers traditionally have had at the top level. It is at that point that you see that managers are seperated into those who react to failures by blaming their superiors (Benitez) and those who handle the situation with "dignity" like true diplomats (Ancelotti).

Not saying AVB had absolute power and full control. But his influence is greater then you suggest, is much greater then a guy given a squad and try to win with them.

By AVB philosophy i do mean the high-line+possession+High Press. I still believe this is the style they club want to achieve, as we further rebuild our squad.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me their their familiarity and root at Porto suggest he was a AVB recommendation.

Even though Meireles left Porto after 6 years as soon as AVB took over?

AVB also wanted Romeu at Porto before he left, a player that he wanted well before he moved to Chelsea. Romeu has said that AVB convinced him to join Chelsea. We definitely needed to booster the DM, but if it wasn't for AVB that person wasne't going to be Romeu.

I won't be convinced by articles/talk after both switched teams. If you've got any source prior to both moving then I'll be convinced.

Not saying AVB had absolute power and full control. But his influence is greater then you suggest, is much greater then a guy given a squad and try to win with them.

Even if that's not what the contractual talks are about it is clearly that by which managers are judged by (and sacked for). AVB (or anyone before him) wasn't sacked because of his transfers (or lack of them). He was sacked because he group of players he had to manage could do better than 1.70 points per game and it didn't look like an improvement was possible.

By AVB philosophy i do mean the high-line+possession+High Press. I still believe this is the style they club want to achieve, as we further rebuild our squad.

Arguing this would be useless since the appointment of a manager and a couple of 1st team transfers can change the situation but I think the majority of our transfers in the last 2 years and the players that could potentially be important in the future don't suit this approach. Ramires,Sturridge and Torres are players that need space to thrive (the pace of the first 2 is practically wasted in any other situation), Lukaku is The Next Drogba™ and Mata failed as a winger under that "philosophy" because never did his part in our pressing (nor did Sturridge). Oriol became relevant only after a major change in the defensive high-line.

Nope, 1 is RDM, The two others are young managers who like to play good football and who have done very well with limited resources, and done very well in the transfer market aswell.

Working miracles with limited budget's doesn't necessarily mean you will rule the world when you have got money to play with.

Thats the thing when people say about Moyles.He's done so well on a limited budget but if he was to come to a club with a big one be so much harder!Mainly because of the mcuh much higher expections! More pressure to do well etc.And if you do on a bad run more chance of getting the flick.And its also knowing what to do with the big budget..who to buy..whose worth it etc rather then spending it randomly because of the names and amount their shirts may bring in

Even though Meireles left Porto after 6 years as soon as AVB took over?

Wanted to replay for a while but didn't get the chance.

Meireles being sold had nothing to do with AVB arrival at Porto, more to do with the fact it was perfect opportunity to make a profit and Meireles was linked with a exit for a while. We just have to agree to disagree, because i don't think Chelsea would have been interested Meireles or he would have joined us if it wasn't for AVB. Remember he left Pool because he wanted more playing time, his relationship with AVB sold him to join us.

I won't be convinced by articles/talk after both switched teams. If you've got any source prior to both moving then I'll be convinced.

I don't have any sources before their switch, only articles discussing how Romeu was heavily linked to Porto the year before. I would imagine those articles would be in Spanish or Portuguese if they do exist.

Arguing this would be useless since the appointment of a manager and a couple of 1st team transfers can change the situation but I think the majority of our transfers in the last 2 years and the players that could potentially be important in the future don't suit this approach. Ramires,Sturridge and Torres are players that need space to thrive (the pace of the first 2 is practically wasted in any other situation), Lukaku is The Next Drogba™ and Mata failed as a winger under that "philosophy" because never did his part in our pressing (nor did Sturridge). Oriol became relevant only after a major change in the defensive high-line.

I think we just have to agree to disagree we think entirely different here. I just don't think we would go through so many managers if they had little dealing in transfers.

I think you are mistaken about Ramires for example. He actually fitted very nicely into AVB system, because last season at Porto he used Guarin the same way as Ramires. In his system the RCM are used to move forward and help the attack. Ramires wasn't effective as Guarin, because he doesn't have the passing or vision like Guarin. What didn't fit the system was Lampard, because he was very attack minded. The LCM in his system are asked to stay disciplined and not move forward. With the exception of the RCM in AVB system midfield doesn't have a major role in attack and very dependent on forward.

Mata and Sturridge didn't press well, it is not just them the whole team is not really good at pressing as a whole. Particularity you can't have a highline defense without pressing, it is which why we struggled in the highline.

AVB made a lot of changes here at Chelsea but what he wanted was his system and players.

I also disagree with Lukaku as the next Drogba comparison, and i always thought of it as absurd. He is more Torres if you ask me, both would prefer the ball ahead of them and run behind the defenders for it. Drogba is more comfortable with the ball at his foot and droping back to connect the midfield with attack.

I guess we have to agree to disagree because i believe a manager role is more then tactics, and it is why have gone through so many managers. Lets see what happens who get appointed.

what's the vibe about the manager? is RDM favirote? Is Pep an option?

Di Matteo still the bookies' favorite but rumors about him being offered only a one year contract which he would most likely reject. Guardiola is taking a year off from football so he's not an option (at least not a realistic one) at the moment. If we can't reach an agreement with RDM then it's probably Capello for a short term deal and then next summer we would probably go for Guardiola, Klopp, Blanc or some other flavor of the month manager whose teams play sexy football.

Personally I'm hoping for Di Matteo on a two year contract.

I think the problem w/ Di Matteo is not the term of the deal being only 1 year but is that he knows the board will most dedinitely replace him w/ Pep at the end of the next season regardless of results so he's prolly more interested in moving to a mid level club like Villa where his future is less uncertain. This is a situation where no one is at fault. If he decides to go I'll wish him the best of luck.

Guardiola has come out to say that he only actually needs around a month to recharge his batteries, and if a team seduces him, he could get back into managing this season.

Guardiola has come out to say that he only actually needs around a month to recharge his batteries, and if a team seduces him, he could get back into managing this season.

This changes everything. Roman will move heaven and earth to bring him here, everybody knows that.

He can fuck off -or if Abramovich is so keen we need to keep RDM as assistant for when it invariably goes pete tong.

If RDM is fucked over in the usual Russian manner of things and Guardiola arrives, very quickly everyone will see that his ability was falsely enhanced due to the production line of talent that he had at his disposal at Barcelona, plus huge transfer budgets. As we saw, the guy is no tactical genius either as he had no plan b to combat our defensive set up against them.

Come on Gourlay and Buck, grow a pair, stand up to Roman and use your eyes for once and take the intelligent approach rather than the short term headline grabbing one.

If what Guardiola said is true then I'd give him at least 70% chances of being our next coach. I just don't buy that the problem with keeping Di Matteo is the contract length, neither he nor the club would make a big deal of it and most importantly none would leak it to the press.

Wouldn't it be funny if Liverpool actually appointed Martinez now! :lol:

Not really...Liverpool are a cup team now & they want a young manager who can lead the club for many years.

Well boys, strap yourself in. It begins. Guardiola will now be chased to the ends of the earth by Roman. I for one would love him here. The only managers that would get the nod ahead of RDM is Mourinho and Guardiola.

Would be awesome to see Guardiola at Chelsea..but I see him managing United rather than Chelsea.

My only question is, if Roman goes chasing after Guardiola, does that mean RDM will leave his interim manager role...because I don't think he's gonna stick around for 1 year...he'd probably go manage Lazio or Villa from next season.