Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

I was at the U21s international last night and whilst Ruben had a good game, he was by no means outstanding. He took his goal well, but he was lazy and frequently couldn't be bothered tracking back to help his team. On top of that, his finishing was poor and realistically should have at least doubled his goal tally.

The people calling him "our best midfielder" are, I'm afraid, well wide of the mark. He has a talent for sure, but let's not overhype him. At the minute, he is a decent young player, but lightyears behind the Luke Shaws, Ross Barkleys, etc. of this world in terms of his development.

I was at the U21s international last night and whilst Ruben had a good game, he was by no means outstanding. He took his goal well, but he was lazy and frequently couldn't be bothered tracking back to help his team. On top of that, his finishing was poor and realistically should have at least doubled his goal tally.

The people calling him "our best midfielder" are, I'm afraid, well wide of the mark. He has a talent for sure, but let's not overhype him. At the minute, he is a decent young player, but lightyears behind the Luke Shaws, Ross Barkleys, etc. of this world in terms of his development.

I was only partly joking about not tracking back but I noticed even on highlights he was was not interested in getting back quickly

He was playing as a #10 against a team only intent on defending he wasn't expected to. You call him lazy but I remember him tracking back to win the ball after giving it away with a poor pass. Obviously he isn't WIllian in terms of workrate but he's clearly made strides in that aspect of his game after Jose's public criticism.

I agree with you on his poor finishing but he was by far the most creative player on the pitch and his technique was a level above everyone else's.

Thank you Alex, it's refreshing to read the truth.

I love Ruben and have hope that he'll make it but that which was his major flaw two-and-a-half years ago, is still his major flaw. He simply is not busy enough and that applies equally as much when his team has the ball, as when it does not. You've spoken about the situation when his side is out of possession but Ruben also does not work hard enough to get into the play when a team mate is on the ball. He has a tendency to wait for the game to come to him. That's not how he's going to command a place in Chelsea's first team.

Hopefully Cfc will mould him into top class and help him on his weakness points and play to his strengths,good to see him,Hazard,Willian all hit the back of net . Hopefully Ruben gets a start Saturday has a decent game and keeps himself in the team .

there's still a lot of work to be done with RLC before he's turn into a world class player

there's still a lot of work to be done with RLC before he's turn into a world class player

can't tell until he's starting games. i think Saturday is where that begins. unless he's with cesc in a 2. then its probably game over.

To be fair, Luke Shaw had already played 60 League games for Southampton by the age of 19, which definitely helped 'accelerate' his development

Your point about RLC being a decent young player just raises the same question from the transfer window, why didn't we sign a quality CM?

Wow.

To be fair, Luke Shaw had already played 60 League games for Southampton by the age of 19, which definitely helped 'accelerate' his development

Your point about RLC being a decent young player just raises the same question from the transfer window, why didn't we sign a quality CM?

I believe we were in for Pogba, but ended up getting priced out.

If 13/14 was anything to go by we are probably waiting for the right player, I mean, when Jose returned he could have seen the CM issue panic and sign Guarin and Paulinho, instead he waited and we ended up with Matic and Cesc.