Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

Saving him for Porto, hopefully.

I really wanna see a Ramires-RLC pivot. I think it would work quite well since both can go forwards and both can lock down.

This. Well put. On theory this actually would work out very well, especially against a side like Porto.

You're such a fan. That's not how professional athletes think. Especially at a young age. He wants to play. He's looking at Cesc and Matic, looking at their form and thinks he can do better. Up to him to convince his manager.

Really? That's how you think young players think? If he is looking at Cesc and Matic and thinking about how he can do better then he's a terrible team player and probably won't make it in football. Being part of a team means supporting and trusting your teammates and your manager's choices regardless. Especially if you're young and especially if you are playing some role in helping the team.

Really? That's how you think young players think? If he is looking at Cesc and Matic and thinking about how he can do better then he's a terrible team player and probably won't make it in football. Being part of a team means supporting and trusting your teammates and your manager's choices regardless. Especially if you're young and especially if you are playing some role in helping the team.

If he's a competitor, which goes for most athletes, he is thinking he can do better and that's the way it's supposed to be. You want to be the best or at least try to be the best. That's what helps you improve.

How does that make you a terrible team player? If he can do better and proves so, he helps his team. I don't understand your logic. This is sport.

Supporting your manager's choices. I specifically said it's up to him to convince the manager.

I'm sure Fabregas wanted to play and thought he could do better than whoever was playing in his position when he broke through at Arsenal. There were experienced and more proven players playing in his position, but he 'relegated' his competition to the bench as a teenager.

If he's a competitor, which goes for most athletes, he is thinking he can do better and that's the way it's supposed to be. You want to be the best or at least try to be the best. That's what helps you improve.

How does that make you a terrible team player? If he can do better and proves so, he helps his team. I don't understand your logic. This is sport.

Supporting your manager's choices. I specifically said it's up to him to convince the manager.

I'm sure Fabregas wanted to play and thought he could do better than whoever was playing in his position when he broke through at Arsenal. There were experienced and more proven players playing in his position, but he 'relegated' his competition to the bench as a teenager.

No he doesn't need to be thinking about how others are performing. That's ridiculous to suggest. He needs to be thinking about how he is performing. He needs to do his best whenever he is selected and given a chance. He needs to help the team however he can. And that goes for every single player, but especially young ones.

The absolute last thing he needs to do is think he is a second manager and knows who plays better. That does NOT spell improvement that spells selfishness, huge ego and a sense of entitlement. Improvement comes from analyzing his own game not that of his teammates.

Yeah "maybe". But if Wenger sees the potential of RLC like we are seeing and wants him to play for Arsenal with first team football, he'll come running to them.

Why stay in Chelsea when he couldn't even make the bench at Newcastle?

That's completely besides the point we were discussing.

No he doesn't need to be thinking about how others are performing. That's ridiculous to suggest. He needs to be thinking about how he is performing. He needs to do his best whenever he is selected and given a chance. He needs to help the team however he can. And that goes for every single player, but especially young ones.

The absolute last thing he needs to do is think he is a second manager and knows who plays better. That does NOT spell improvement that spells selfishness, huge ego and a sense of entitlement. Improvement comes from analyzing his own game not that of his teammates.

That's completely besides the point we were discussing.

Never mind. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Never mind. I have no idea what you're talking about.

It's simple. You said:

He's looking at Cesc and Matic, looking at their form and thinks he can do better.

No he should not because that's an awful mentality to have and completely lacks professionalism and team spirit.

Not really. You responded to a question "If I was Ruben, what would I be thinking" and you gave that response.

Yes, it's a blessing that he gets to play within first-team Chelsea outside the PL games. But I'm pretty sure he wants MORE. That's the point.

How are you going to grow as a footballer if you couldn't even make the bench yesterday?

Paul Pogba was in a similar position when he was at United, look at him now. The best decision of his life. We can't make that same mistake.

Maybe because his whole career does not hinge on that ONE match. He's going to grow by being a part of the first team and playing a role to help the team. He's already started a couple and came off the bench in a few more, including against City, and we're still in September. If I were him I would be delighted and very eager to perform when called upon.

Pogba is incomparable here. He didn't get a single appearance for utd IIRC. It would be beyond risky for Ruben to decide to change teams now as he's already getting a chance to prove himself here and doing fairly well. If he moves and fails to adapt quickly or does fit the system or isn't given a proper chance...etc. he'd be back with the reserves.

Your main point, or what I understood from it, is what if he came from the Arsenal academy, been given a chance with the first team and done as well as he has done here, how much more playing time would he be given there? THAT is irrelevant of the point we're discussing as contemplating it changes or even relates nothing to reality.

It's simple. You said:

No he should not because that's an awful mentality to have and completely lacks professionalism and team spirit.

totally agree with u, in an ideal world.

but this is not an ideal world.

this is a world where the worst player in PL currently is given the captain's armband for the defending champion.

to succeed at this level, a player needs to believe in his ability. remember when sturridge had said that he can be a 20 goal a season striker. thats the sort of belief a player needs to succeed. maybe not so much but i hope u get what i am saying.

moreover, if RLC is supposed to be a talent as big as people say he is and he is looking to be, i am sure he can read the game and has a good footballing IQ. he has to know that he is a better fit for this team than someone like cesc. he has to see some of the wrong things that are happening selection wise and tactics wise.

It's simple. You said:

RLC may or may not be ready to play and I am sure that any of top rated professional coaches at Chelsea is better at making that assessment than anyone around here, including myself.

I know you like Mikel as a player and you know I dislike Mikel as a player, but removing the strict footballing aspects, this passive mentality that he shows is very strange to me. And I suspect is actually one of the reasons I dislike him as a player.

Like I said before, I don't think (for one reason or other) that many people around here actually play any organized football. I've played in amateur leagues and when 15-17 players show up in a weekend and only 11 play, there is ALWAYS competition which is encouraged at all levels - have heard/read many times that clubs do the same.

Now, perhaps it's just too soon for RLC, and he is still merely looking to learn as much as he can from the likes of Fabregas and Matic, and that's be fine. Again, that's an assessment the coaching staff needs to make: does he already have the ambition to go out there and compete? Compete being the keyword here.

It's a competition because the opponent wants to hurt you and humiliate you if you let him do it; because doing that makes him a better player and makes him earn more money (as a professional). Some youngsters are ready for that, while others could be hurt by the experience when done too soon.