Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

Thats what makes Mourinho the best. Hes given RLC a boot, his arse is in a sling, up to the kid now...

And about time too. I said two years ago that a kick up the backside is what Ruben needed and that if he didn't respond to it he would struggle to make a career even at League One level. I am however only giving Ruben some of the blame for the fact that things have not improved enough. What have his coaches been doing?

I love the lad's talent so this hasn't been a great day.

Other than the part where Mourinho doubted RLC's injury and said their relationship has taken a step back, I don't think there's much wrong with what he said. The only issue is, did he really need to say it in the public, after a post-season friendly?

If RLC has been slacking off for ages, then I can perhaps understand it but it happened once when other times he has done alright. Could have just said to him behind closed doors, just like he would have done in every training session, team talk etc.

Other than the part where Mourinho doubted RLC's injury and said their relationship has taken a step back, I don't think there's much wrong with what he said. The only issue is, did he really need to say it in the public, after a post-season friendly?

If RLC has been slacking off for ages, then I can perhaps understand it but it happened once when other times he has done alright. Could have just said to him behind close doors, just like he would have done in every training session, team talk etc.

Jose just don't want him to have a happy holiday

I just don't see it as demotivating.

It sounds like tough love from Mourinho, if RLC wants to make the first team, he's gotta accept the challenge

Of course, I do accept it. I just think it was a bit unneeded, especially at this dead-rubber stage of the calendar.

I hope he does rise to it though, this could make or break him.

He hyped Ruben, kept speaking about him, promised him a place next season.. Of course kid got carried away, so now he is trying to stop that. No need for either of that in public.

Couldn't agree more, all of this shouldn't have been in the media.

I see 3 issues here. First off, condemning your player (especially young players, who most likely lack the mental toughness to deal with such "tough love" like some describe it, is unneccesary and often does more harm than good. Jose could have laid into him and said the exact same thing privately.

Secondly,it was a meaningless Post season friendly and it's absolutely normal and common practice for players to play such matches with the level of intensity that reflects its importance. He should have been cut some slacks, not because laziness is an attractive trait to be tolerated but because it's unrealistic to expect Players to take end of the season, meaningless friendlies, seriously.

Thirdly, rlc has never been a high work rate player. Even in the youth and reserve team, he's never been the type to run tirelessly off the ball. Jose surely must have recognised this and should have chosen more tactically aware and industrious players from the academy instead if that's what he demands.

Haven't said that as a young player or professional footballer for that matter, you are paid to do a job and the least that is required of him is effort and commitment. He is at the stage where he should be trying to impress the manager and justify the fate he's shown in you.

Both parties are at fault here.

I agree that it should have been private, it's never nice to get dissed in public.

I personally think in post season friendlies, we can judge players with double standards. Important players who play crazy minutes should be allowed to more or less cruise by and showboat a bit, it is mostly an advertising campaign after all and injuries should be avoided. Fringe players have to work much harder to give the manager something to think about the next season.

But while he has never been a high work rate player, I think Jose intends to change that the same way he instilled defensive workrate in Hazard. I recall Jose saying that if a player isn't very good but he gives 100%, he is fine with that. But if someone much more talented is playing in 2nd gear he can't tolerate it. He clearly recognises that RLC is capable for much more and hence should be working much harder. RLC is still young enough for that attitude to be adjusted. He could have chosen others but he feels that RLC is that guy who can make it big in his team with his ability and size.

IMO, what probably really pissed him off was that injury claim in order to escape criticism from him. Although tbf I think plenty of people who play sports did that on occasion in order to escape less than pleasant exercises in training LOL.

Maybe are just mind games to motivate RLC...

Precisely. I'm surprised so many people are looking at this the way they are. Why would he criticise him after a meaningless post-season friendly?

Remember what he said about Hazard about early in 2013/14? Worked a treat. It's up to RLC to show the mental tenacity to accept the challenge. José is effectively saying he needs to up his game if he wants to be in the first team. Yes, he'll be in the squad, but if he wants to play football for Chelsea FC, he can't take anything for granted.

And about time too. I said two years ago that a kick up the backside is what Ruben needed and that if he didn't respond to it he would struggle to make a career even at League One level. I am however only giving Ruben some of the blame for the fact that things have not improved enough. What have his coaches been doing?

Whoa you just reminded me that apparently he signed new deal in 2013 worth 1,7m£ a year. He certainly needs a kick in his backside because he has steadily regressed since. As they say, as Steve Holland and many others say, Jose is the best man-to-man manager in the world so he certainly tries to stimulate the subject.

#Loftus-Cheekgate

Whoa you just reminded me that apparently he signed new deal in 2013 worth 1,7m£ a year. He certainly needs a kick in his backside because he has steadily regressed since. As they say, as Steve Holland and many others say, Jose is the best man-to-man manager in the world so he certainly tries to stimulate the subject.

I thought it was worth £1.7m over three years. Either way it's a lot.

I do actually think he has improved but the tendency to inactivity is still with him and unless he and his coaches remedy that he has, as I said in that post two years ago, virtually no chance here.

One component of our success which we're better than any other team is closing the opponents down, and Jose wont stand for any slackers in that department. Theres no reason why RLC cant improve on that, and hopefully he will.

Jose criticizing him can only mean a good thing, and that is that Jose feels RLC is part of the first team, and as such he needs to work his socks off whenever he's on the pitch. If RLC can't understand that then he simply won't cut it here. If he does understand, he will bounce back and fight good way back into the light.

The moment Jose starts not to care about RLC's work rate or some other aspect of his game is the moment he needs to be afraid for his career here.

I know a certain Belgian who got criticized for not working hard enough, but he's doing pretty fine now though :D

he called him a bitch and pushed him into the mud

Just another test thrown young Ruben's way. Don't fret.

Maybe are just mind games to motivate RLC...

Jose just want to show, who is the boss.

Maybe Mourinho finally realized he doesn't like his last name.

Clearly Mourinho just realized that for 1.7m salary he could buy a player or two