Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

It was me. I don't understand why you compare the two? It's like comparing Makelele to Ballack.

Why I compared the two was because people say RLC is our best academy player while I say Aké is better.

It doesn't mean RLC won't get to be the best maybe in future, but I value technical quality in young players more than anything because it's hard to develop that aspect in players and I think Aké is better in that aspect.

Why I compared the two was because people say RLC is our best academy player while I say Aké is better.

It doesn't mean RLC won't get to be the best maybe in future, but I value technical quality in young players more than anything because it's hard to develop that aspect in players and I think Aké is better in that aspect.

I certainly don't think RLC is the best academy talent (my favourites are Boga and Solanke) but I don't think Ake as better technique than RLC... They're both pretty technical players but RLC has more to his game, he can drift past players and does everything Ake can as well or better (technically speaking here). You will never see Ake getting the ball past players with close control like RLC does tbh. I've never seen it in his game, whilst RLC has shown a lot of flashes.

For me it's not even questionable that RLC has a higher ceiling due to his ability to make a difference on both sides of the pitch.

With all respects to ja1 (who I think is a fantastic poster), I think he's undermining RLC a bit. I've seen about 20 games from him myself over the last year or so and he's shown in enough games that he definitely has the talent. What I'm happy about with RLC is that he's been given the opportunity. He's a project. He's definitely not there yet but if he applies himself in the right way he definitely has the body to become a very good player. RLC has had enough games where he's shown that he's the best player on the pitch by a mile for me.

I certainly don't think RLC is the best academy talent (my favourites are Boga and Solanke) but I don't think Ake as better technique than RLC... They're both pretty technical players but RLC has more to his game, he can drift past players and does everything Ake can as well or better (technically speaking here). You will never see Ake getting the ball past players with close control like RLC does tbh. I've never seen it in his game, whilst RLC has shown a lot of flashes.

For me it's not even questionable that RLC has a higher ceiling due to his ability to make a difference on both sides of the pitch.

With all respects to ja1 (who I think is a fantastic poster), I think he's undermining RLC a bit. I've seen about 20 games from him myself over the last year or so and he's shown in enough games that he definitely has the talent. What I'm happy about with RLC is that he's been given the opportunity. He's a project. He's definitely not there yet but if he applies himself in the right way he definitely has the body to become a very good player. RLC has had enough games where he's shown that he's the best player on the pitch by a mile for me.

Fair enough. Let's hope they both succeed.

You need size in central midfield. If anyone other than Matic played next to Cesc our midfield would be raped. Jose clearly wants both more solidarity there and wants to be able to play Cesc higher, especially in big games, and that allows Jose to drop one of our AM 3 if they're under performing.

That's just my opinion, though. Personally I think we should have had Frank for one more year.

And this is very clear to those that follow youth football. Since he became a regular in the youth and reserve team, he's always been outperformed by other midfielders. 3 seasons ago Chalobah was the standout midfielder, 2 seasons ago, Lewis baker was the main man and last/this season, Colkett has been pulling the strings. To his defence, when he's playing well, He looks like a top top prospect but that doesn't happen often enough.

I attribute his hype amongst Chelsea fans to his performance in the friendly against City (I was guilty of overhyping him after that performance as well, I will admit). The sentiment back then was, if he could play that well against the champions and a midfield consisting of Toure and Silva albeit in a friendly then the sky was the limit. his inconsistency and tendency to fade out of games has always been apparent.

However he's still a very good prospect with strengths and weaknesses just like any other player

Not saying I disagree with you, but could the bold part not be a strength itself? RLC might not be shining a lot, but he is able to allow his midfield partner to do so by giving him more time on the ball and space through his actions?

We are at any rate on the path were the youth get more chances than before. Many of them (and us) will get kicked hard by the reality of how big the step up is, which is why it is important that we are patient and trust our manager and coaches to help develop the players.

What makes him special is his potential. Baker and Swift were significantly better players for us last season, but Loftus-Cheek can do things that not many 19 year old midfielders can. It's the same with Boga who always seems to be injured or often invisible in games, but shows flashes. Watch RLC's game against Italy to see how dominant he can be. If he can gain the consistency that Baker was able to last season, sky really is the limit for him. People say as if him being stronger and bigger than everyone else is a bad thing when in fact he will be stronger than bigger than grown men. Also I could not disagree more when it was said that he's not impressive on the ball. If his physical attributes were the only things that stood out, our youth team would be full of 6'3" giants with no real football skills

Playing the devil's advocate here. What's to say his timidness and unadventurous approach isn't down to Jose's instruction?.

Knowing the type of manager Jose is, i wouldn't be surprised if he's given RLC the Zouma role in midfield which will be typical and disappointing.

Playing the devil's advocate here. What's to say his timidness and unadventurous approach isn't down to Jose's instruction?.

Knowing the type of manager Jose is, i wouldn't be surprised if he's given RLC the Zouma role in midfield which will be typical and disappointing.

Probably true. He came on as a 10 against Lisbon and looked powerful. I'm sure he will never make it as a holding midfielder.

130 mins and still no screamers? Off with his head to Vitesse! :lol:

Seriously, people need to calm the fuck down. He had a very good game, made no mistakes, got all the basics right, movement and covering were good, and to me looked more comfortable in the system than against pool. I really like his composure and calmness, not trying too hard or being too eager to impress which is incredibly tempting for a young player coming into the team.

The 'flashiness' can come latter. He needs to first establish himself as a reliable option for the manager and that can only be done by constantly getting the basics right.

We had 10 players on the field, and you expect the only teenager among them to be the one taking the risks? Sorry, that make little sense.

Age shouldn't matter. You'd expect midfield players to take risks in trying to create chances for others to score or others to assist. He looked slightly tentative at times like I said, never criticized him apart from that and possibly positioning but thats really an experience thing.

Age shouldn't matter. You'd expect midfield players to take risks in trying to create chances for others to score or others to assist. He looked slightly tentative at times like I said, never criticized him apart from that and possibly positioning but thats really an experience thing.

You expect a terrified 19yo on his first ever game with the first team to take risks? I bet you anything that Jose's and JT's advice for him would have been to relax, enjoy and keep it simple. That's what you'd want from your debutantes, to not make big mistakes so they gain in confidence. He can take risks when he's an integral part of the first team.

Jose said Loftus-Cheek's attitude was "unacceptable" and said his relationship had "taken a step back", before adding: “He said it was a pain in his back but to me it looked like he only had that pain when Sydney had the ball."

According to the Mail Online and their news banner it says "Jose Mourinho says his relationship with RLC has take 'A Step Back' after unacceptable work rate

Fuck me José can be quite ruthless sometimes, but yeah he's right. Still, it must be a horrible feeling for RLC to go on a holiday like that. There is still pre-season but most 1st-team members will already be back then (Except Willian, Luis, Cuadrado who don't even play in his position). Not to mention José saying there will be 2-3 new additions to the squad. His chances will surely be limited.