Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

The problem is that I saw the first game of Messi, Ronaldo, Quaresma, Nani, Mourinho (many Sporting players) Iniesta, Thiago, Busquets, I saw the way Jese played in the his first games in Madrid, Morata, etc. I'm sorry if you are watching for the first time a young player having a chance... this was far from impressive, and in reality was poor for a 19 year old player.

I'm not saying he is bad, he won't work, I'm saying the truth about this game...

The problem is he played that all players who you've put in there, a part from Busquets, were given freedom by their managers and are a lot more attack minded compared to what Ruben was tasked with. There are a lot of circumstances, as to why, these concrete people's debut were flashier. I am not saying Ruben had a worldie, I am saying he was great, for a 19 year old, who is coming out against a top 6 team in England.

The problem is he played that all players who you've put in there, a part from Busquets, were given freedom by their managers and are a lot more attack minded compared to what Ruben was tasked with. There are a lot of circumstances, as to why, these concrete people's debut were flashier. I am not saying Ruben had a worldie, I am saying he was great, for a 19 year old, who is coming out against a top 6 team in England.

I am saying he was poor. It happens... but since he is an academy product for all of you he won't play poorly in one single game in the next 2 or 3 years. The responsability of any bad thing he does will be always for others,,, the excuses started already in the first 60 minutes...

We all know how these things are...

I am saying he was poor. It happens... but since he is an academy product for all of you he won't play poorly in one single game in the next 2 or 3 years. The responsability of any bad thing he does will be always for others,,, the excuses started already in the first 60 minutes...

He wasn't poor, but he wasn't great. Kinda was just a passenger which is fine.

Whatever you say, I'd really want to see what exactly is a good debut for people as fickle as you.

I'll agree to disagree.

I think he's perfect for the PL, he has the strength, height, pace and technical ability to succeed. I hope next game he plays alongside Matic so he has a bit more freedom to get forward, we'll see more of them Toure-esque runs i'm sure.

I have to say it doesn't really surprise me that some people on this forum are slating him, they preach 'youth integration' then after 1 game they slate him... typical.

Should upgrade to 4th choice next season.

Matic Fabregas Koke(?) RLC Mikel/Ramires

Cmon one game and hes already should be ahead of Mikel and Ramires who have maybe 600 career games between them? I think hes a good young player but one game... too early to say he should be ahead of any of those boys. Nobody mentioned his positioning at times yet though? Only thing I feel that he wasn't great in, a few times out of position but that's a thing that should improve because Jose being Jose will tell him but other than that hes tidy on the ball and made a good couple of tackles.

But its true, we get a wee bitty excited about young players too soon. Remember Josh McEachran, 'the English Xavi' or so you'd think reading half of this forum after a game against MSK Zilina and then another one against Marseille, few years later hes playing for Vitesse's reserves more than their first team. Gael Kakuta? Paddy van Aanholt? Jefferey Bruma? All thought to be parts of this clubs future at the time, built up based on u21s football and the odd first team game then nothing. These guys don't necessarily need the pressure of being hyped up as the next big thing to come out of our academy since JT. Not Ruben, not Boga, not Brown, not Colkett, not Christensen.. no point building a high expectation for them yet.

Hilarious how these forums swing so heavily. I think the characterization of his performance but good and bad when put in front of 1000's to read gets blown out of portion. Its impossible to get the accurate sentiment when you're battling language barriers and tone... I'm just sitting here reading this stuff completely amused.

Do I think he was terrible? no, I just think he needs to be more assertive and utilize his strengths more. I also think that in order to keep us from buying another midfielder he needs to show a bit of dynamism. Yes he is 19 and played as a 6 but our 6 needs to provide something going forward.

Loved how he used his body and how he instinctively went in for tackles. He also looked physically ready for the rigours of the Prem, perhaps even more so than Pogba at the same age(?? not sure though)

Bottom line is his physique and quickness will always give him a chance to play, but everything else about his game needs to be markedly better if he's to feature regularly for us. I know there are some who feel he's gonna get the Zouma treatment next year(spot starts) and if he does that would be fine but to keep us from buying another CM, I'm not sure he's there yet and we'll need to strengthen this summer.

Cmon one game and hes already should be ahead of Mikel and Ramires who have maybe 600 career games between them? I think hes a good young player but one game... too early to say he should be ahead of any of those boys. Nobody mentioned his positioning at times yet though? Only thing I feel that he wasn't great in, a few times out of position but that's a thing that should improve because Jose being Jose will tell him but other than that hes tidy on the ball and made a good couple of tackles.

But its true, we get a wee bitty excited about young players too soon. Remember Josh McEachran, 'the English Xavi' or so you'd think reading half of this forum after a game against MSK Zilina and then another one against Marseille, few years later hes playing for Vitesse's reserves more than their first team. Gael Kakuta? Paddy van Aanholt? Jefferey Bruma? All thought to be parts of this clubs future at the time, built up based on u21s football and the odd first team game then nothing. These guys don't necessarily need the pressure of being hyped up as the next big thing to come out of our academy since JT. Not Ruben, not Boga, not Brown, not Colkett, not Christensen.. no point building a high expectation for them yet.

Fabregas Matic will start all necessary matches.RLC in the less important matches. Ahead of Mikel. I think it's time to start trusting the youngsters a bit more. Wasn't that the whole point from the beginning? About integrating youngsters? I remember the promises Jose made in the beginning but he later clarified that he had to put the youth integration on hold saying that the first team needs to be consolidated first. Well, the club is getting there. League champions by a distance. Losing only 2 away matches.

I think next season, a couple more youngsters can make the step up. Ake, Loftus Cheek.

Hilarious how these forums swing so heavily. I think the characterization of his performance but good and bad when put in front of 1000's to read gets blown out of portion. Its impossible to get the accurate sentiment when you're battling language barriers and tone... I'm just sitting here reading this stuff completely amused.

Do I think he was terrible? no, I just think he needs to be more assertive and utilize his strengths more. I also think that in order to keep us from buying another midfielder he needs to show a bit of dynamism. Yes he is 19 and played as a 6 but our 6 needs to provide something going forward.

Loved how he used his body and how he instinctively went in for tackles. He also looked physically ready for the rigours of the Prem, perhaps even more so than Pogba at the same age(?? not sure though)

Bottom line is his physique and quickness will always give him a chance to play, but everything else about his game needs to be markedly better if he's to feature regularly for us. I know there are some who feel he's gonna get the Zouma treatment next year(spot starts) and if he does that would be fine but to keep us from buying another CM, I'm not sure he's there yet and we'll need to strengthen this summer.

It seemed absolutely clear that Ruben was playing strictly to orders and well within himself. His instincts are more forward thinking than he showed on Sunday but he reined them in. Using his deft touch and physicality to create space for a pass, a run, or a shot is what he does. That's basically his game, but there was none of it on Sunday. There were glimpses of that touch and of the power but it was never allowed off the leash. Ruben always checked himself and played it very, very simple.

A give away moment came when he was well positioned to join an attack, an attack which needed his involvement, but instead he jogged back toward the half way line. Tellingly he was looking over his shoulder as he went but he followed instructions and regained the shape. My point is that I don't think Sunday was a performance on which we should judge him. He was given a very limited role and played it to the letter. Judgement must be postponed.

I do have reservations about Ruben's chances, reservations I've been expressing since before that game in the US. He does not bring his talent to bear on games as much he could. He often seems to stroll around without affecting the play for long spells but my opinion remains that Ruben has all of the talent required. The questions are whether he can unlock that talent, and whether his coaches can help him do it. On those issues the jury is still out but Sunday really shouldn't be weighed too heavily in evidence.

It's a shame that it seems he may miss out at WBA.

It seemed absolutely clear that Ruben was playing strictly to orders and well within himself. His instincts are more forward thinking than he showed on Sunday but he reined them in. Using his deft touch and physicality to create space for a pass or a run is what he does. That's basically his game, but there was none of it on Sunday. There were glimpses of that touch and and the power but it was never allowed off the leash. Ruben always checked himself and played it very, very simple.

A give away moment came when he was well positioned to join an attack, an attack which needed his involvement, but instead he jogged back toward the half way line. Tellingly he was looking over his shoulder as he went but he followed instructions and regained the shape. My point is that I don't think Sunday was a performance on which we should judge him. He was given a very limited role and played it to the letter. Judgement must be postponed.

I do have reservations about Ruben's chances, reservations I've been expressing since before that game in the US. He does not bring his talent to bear on games as much he could. He often seems to stroll around without affecting the play for long spells but my opinion remains that Ruben has all of the talent required. The questions are whether he can unlock that talent, and whether his coaches can help him do it. On those issues the jury is still out but Sunday really shouldn't be weighed too heavily in evidence.

It's a shame that it seems he may miss out at WBA.

Well said. I agree with everything.