test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tobey Gibson

14. Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Started by Tobey Gibson,

1,828 posts in this topic

With Conte coming in and his love for fitness I hope he drastically improves RLC in this aspect of his game. Ruben is a box to box midfielder, he's wasted as a CDM or #10. I think he has the potential to become a top b2b mid, but as anything else he would be bang average.

akgw13 likes this

My feelings exactly, RLC needs to focus on fitness(he has no choice with conte!) and learning what he needs to do for one position(b2b). a fit focused RLC as a b2b is ideal in my eyes and hopefully conte can work his magic like he did with Pogba. 

agreed, but part of that could be playing out of position? he is most certainly not a 10. With a clearly defined role and support from the coach i think he will feel more confident in himself and what he is supposed to do. He certainly has the athleticism to fill the role, just needs to up his fitness and understanding of the system (both come with learning how to be a professional + experience) i have high hopes for him with Conte working on him.

MefiX19 likes this

2 hours ago, Chelsea4 said:

The full article:

The Times

20 July 2016 
Ireland

Loftus-Cheek makes a big impression on Conte

Matt Hughes

Antonio Conte is considering abandoning his plans to sign another central midfield player this summer because of his belief in the potential of Ruben Loftus-Cheek.
The England Under-21 midfielder is understood to have made a big impression on Conte in training over the past seven days and the club's new manager is hoping that he will develop into a big part of his first-team squad after being used sparingly by José Mourinho and Guus Hiddink last season.

Loftus-Cheek, right, started Chelsea's first pre-season fixture against Rapid Vienna last weekend and, if he continues to impress, the 20-yearold could solve a problem for the club. Chelsea's proposed move for Radja Nainggolan, the Belgium midfielder, has collapsed as a result of Roma's valuation and the club were still planning to sign another combative midfield player after completing the transfer of N'Golo Kanté at the weekend, but Loftus-Cheek could provide an alternative.

Conte's priority is signing an additional centre back, with Kalidou Koulibaly and Kostas Manolas his leading targets, and he may choose to give Loftus-Cheek a chance to prove himself with a view to signing another midfield player next January if required.

Much will depend on which players stay at Chelsea, because Nemanja Matic is wanted by Juventus and Cesc Fbregas's future is uncertain because of Conte's doubts over whe-ther the Spaniard can successfully operate in his preferred 4-4-2 system. Chelsea are also attempting to sign lvaro Morata from Real Madrid, but that transfer will not affect the future of Diego Costa, with Conte insisting yesterday that the Spain striker is not for sale. The club's hierarchy are growing increasingly frustrated at what they view as Atletico Madrid's attempts to unsettle Costa. Having already written to them once requesting that they refrain from fuelling transfer speculation, Chelsea are considering complaining again.

"Diego is our player," Conte said. "He is a fantastic player, a player with a fundamental importance and there is no problem. He stays with us, he is working very hard, he is very happy to work with his team-mates and with me."

Conte is hopeful that Kurt Zouma will be fit for the start of the season after the French defender returned to training for the first time yesterday since sustaining a cruciate knee ligament injury in February. Fbregas, Pedro, Gary Cahill, Juan Cuadrado and César Azpilicueta all trained under Conte for the first time yesterday after being given an extended summer break, but will not be considered for tonight's match in Austria against Pellets.

"Today Kurt started the aerobic work for the first time," Conte said. "We wait because we must respect the right time for him."

Fernando and akgw13 like this

Well that's what we all wanted. 

I would love Nainggolan but if your going to gamble on youth and give them a sustainable playing time then that is far better. 

Now we need to see if the action matches the words because that is all we heard for the past few years, talk, talk, talk and no action. 

MefiX19 and akgw13 like this

If Chelsea buy another central midfielder it's bye bye to RLC chances.

With Matic, Kante, Fabregas and that x-man we have 4 established players and too few games to play. And we must get top 4 next season.

I'd rather see another midfielder bought but I think it comes at the cost, unfortunately.

"Ruben, I see this player is young with great potential," Conte continued. "I like him a lot in the striker position. He has good technique, a good personality, he is good one v one, and it's normal that a young player can improve.

6 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

:lol: Would be pretty ironic if he ended up a striker after people, including me, argued about his best position in midfield.
b2b, #10, cdm; nope! Striker.

He seems to be happy playing anywhere for conte

http://www.squawka.com/news/loftus-cheek-i-would-play-anywhere-for-antonio-conte/729220

TheIceMan and Blue_Fox_ like this

Criticized his performance in the first friendly, but this was more like it. Plenty of energy and it showed in the results this time. Hope he can maintain this level of focus going into the new season.