Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

He had a decent game (don't get the overreaction) but he's certainly capable of much more. He looks very restrained and not his usual self to me. I just hope we don't turn him into another mikel.

Ake does look more polished and ahead of him in terms of development at this point which is to be expected given he's older and far more experienced.

Looks very, err whats the word, tentative at times? Playing with the shackles on slightly. I know he can see the bigger picture from seeing him play in the u21s but again sometimes the thing that makes you stand out is sometimes the fact you take risks when you are say 10 v 11 or 3-0 down or when it doesn't look possible or whatever but he didn't.

Composure and dribbling are good. Just needs tactical polishing

This is the post I was waiting for exactly what I have noticed in the two games he has played back to back.. And the tactical side of the game will come with more live in game action first team football

130 mins and still no screamers? Off with his head to Vitesse! :lol:

Seriously, people need to calm the fuck down. He had a very good game, made no mistakes, got all the basics right, movement and covering were good, and to me looked more comfortable in the system than against pool. I really like his composure and calmness, not trying too hard or being too eager to impress which is incredibly tempting for a young player coming into the team.

The 'flashiness' can come latter. He needs to first establish himself as a reliable option for the manager and that can only be done by constantly getting the basics right.

Looks very, err whats the word, tentative at times? Playing with the shackles on slightly. I know he can see the bigger picture from seeing him play in the u21s but again sometimes the thing that makes you stand out is sometimes the fact you take risks when you are say 10 v 11 or 3-0 down or when it doesn't look possible or whatever but he didn't.

We had 10 players on the field, and you expect the only teenager among them to be the one taking the risks? Sorry, that make little sense.

Didn't look out of place did he? Was calm, collected and gave it simple whilst also looking very sharp indeed.

Well done that boy.

Thought he did well too. Comfortable on the ball, it's his second start, I'm not sure what people expect from him. But, for a 19 year old playing in his second PL game with a team of uninspired teammates he did well, imo.

Found some really interesting comments from José about parents/agents pushing for a loan move. He mentions stability, but is it stability that he rides the bench for most of the season (albeit learning from Matic/Fabregas). Im guessing he'll get around the same amount of gametime like Kurt Zouma this season (unless he really impresses). But is that really better than getting regular playing time at a lower level club at age 19? Let's not forget, Zouma even had some expierience playing in Ligue 1. I hope it works out, but i doubt it he'll be good enough to become our main B2B player. Here are the comments:

Asked about the problems involved with nurturing this generation of rising stars, however, he added: “Without naming names, I could write a book.

“In modern football, it is because of the agents and the parents - when the players are almost there, and in the process of being almost there, they think they are already there.

“They make the players think they have arrived when they haven’t. They think about money before the career starts, and everything gets very, very confused.

"That doesn’t help the players. They need stability.

“It’s not the case, but imagine Ruben’s family or agent pushing the kid to go - 'The kid has to go on loan.' Imagine that picture.

“That’s not what he needs. In this moment, he needs stability.

"He played against Liverpool [starting, and lasting an hour last Sunday]. He’s going to play against West Bromwich. Next season, he starts with us and is stable because he’s part of the squad. He’s not trying to win a position in it. He’s part of it. He’s not going on loan and he knows that.

“They need that kind of stability, unless they play in very small clubs when, at 17 or 18, they go direct in the first-team. But to be in a big team and reach the level to be playing regularly for the first-team, you need time and stability. We try to give that to our boys.”

Full article: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelseas-jose-mourinho-accuses-pushy-5712208

A more interesting point is how Jose arrives at the conclusion of what developmental strategy is best for each individual. We have seen the weakness and flaws in both strategies laid bare with kakuta,wallace,chalobah et al being examples of the loan system failing and we have also seen how keeping youngsters just to ride the bench can stagnate their development with the likes of lewis baker,josh under avb and to a lesser extent ake. To me the one biggest factor that determines how well and how quickly a youngster develops is finding the right environment for them to develop I.e abundant playing time, the right guidance, the right team, the right manager and the right system. How often do we see players go out on loan to teams who have very little use for them because the position they play in is already covered and as a resultare either forced to ride the bench or played completely out of position. And in addition to that, the managers of these teams have zero incentive to develop our players for us as they gain nothing from it unless theres an option to buy them permanently. What it boils down to is, these players can not develop riding the bench either out on loan or in the first team. Either find the right team with the perfect fit for them on a temporary basis or play them regularly in the first team and in their natural position.

But ultimately they have tonne givennproper first team opportunities otherwise it's all a pointless exercise unless the aom all along is to sell them for profit.

Idd, KDB and Lukaku are great examples where loan deals helped out. KDB went from Genk, Werder Bremen, (riding the bench at Chelsea) to the assist record holding Bundesliga player at Wolfsburg. Lukaku, while not at the same level as KDB never rotted on the bench at the clubs he was loaned out to. And know he has found stability at a club for his level (Everton).

He did well but IMO Ake is the one that should realy get the chance right now. Technicaly and intelligence wise, Ake is above Rlc atm.

But by no means was RLC poor or average. He did very decent job, but his character will tell how far he will go. If he is a fighter, he can suceed here big time. If he is passive just like Mikel, then...