Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

Chelsea's teenage midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek spoke of his enjoyment after starring in the Blues' friendly defeat to Manchester City in St Louis.

Loftus-Cheek impressed in midfield in front of a sell-out crowd of 48,263 at Busch Stadium, home of baseball's St Louis Cardinals.

"I'm proud of my performance," the 17-year-old told Chelsea TV.

"You've got to enjoy these occasions as a young player and I did. It's amazing playing in front of 40-odd thousand."

With another match scheduled at Yankee Stadium in New York on Saturday, he added: "I'm buzzing for that. Hopefully I'll play again."

I felt the midfield battle between RLC and Yaya Toure was quite even.

RLC actually out-muscled Toure more whereas Toure was simply more intelligent at times and made a pass or move a split second quicker.

Toure offered more going forward, as he always does, but RLC got around 8 or so very good tackles right in front of the defence after errors from the centre backs.

If he was at Liverpool, Stoke, even Arsenal, I guarantee he'd already have double figure senior team appearances in all comps. He's good enough. I think it's been considered all season. He's our best midfield talent in the youth ranks in my opinion.

Amazing to think that we could have this guy, Chalobah, Ake and Romeu driving us on from midfield in a couple of years' time. The day we have these guys in the team and not some of the dead wood we've had there recently will be the day when you know this club is building something truly special.

Amazing to think that we could have this guy, Chalobah, Ake and Romeu driving us on from midfield in a couple of years' time. The day we have these guys in the team and not some of the dead wood we've had there recently will be the day when you know this club is building something truly special.

Yeh cant wait to these youngsters play first team football for Chelsea. Just another 2-3 seasons

Spot on, mate. As ever, we have to be realistic and realise that Roman is more likely to spend £25 million on an established star than give players like RLC two/three years to break into the first-team, but the difference between 2013 and 2003 when Roman first arrived is that we now have genuine quality in our academy. The chances of youngsters playing for this club has increased. Only slightly, because of the instant demand for success, but the positive aspect is we are producing top talent.

Spot on, mate. As ever, we have to be realistic and realise that Roman is more likely to spend £25 million on an established star than give players like RLC two/three years to break into the first-team, but the difference between 2013 and 2003 when Roman first arrived is that we now have genuine quality in our academy. The chances of youngsters playing for this club has increased. Only slightly, because of the instant demand for success, but the positive aspect is we are producing top talent.

It was interesting watching the news conference with Perez the other day, because on the ticker there was a story about Anthony Grant being released by some League Two team (I think). This was a kid who Mourinho brought on at Old Trafford, so it gives you an idea of the types of 'eggs' he was being given at that time but also his willingness to use youngsters.

In fact if you look at the appearance stats for Mourinho's seasons then there's a surprising number of youngsters who got shots, but I wouldn't say any of them were of the quality we have now and that's not surprising when you look at the investment in the academy that started about a year before Jose turned up. A decade is about how long you'd expect it to take before you saw consistent, high quality graduates.

It was interesting watching the news conference with Perez the other day, because on the ticker there was a story about Anthony Grant being released by some League Two team (I think). This was a kid who Mourinho brought on at Old Trafford, so it gives you an idea of the types of 'eggs' he was being given at that time but also his willingness to use youngsters.

In fact if you look at the appearance stats for Mourinho's seasons then there's a surprising number of youngsters who got shots, but I wouldn't say any of them were of the quality we have now and that's not surprising when you look at the investment in the academy that started about a year before Jose turned up. A decade is about how long you'd expect it to take before you saw consistent, high quality graduates.

He was transfer-listed by Stevenage from League 1. The coach felt that Grant wouldn't be a regular in their team next season.