Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

-Heroes' heroes: Ruben Loftus-Cheek

The latest Chelsea player to share his influences on and off the field is England Under-21 midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek, who reveals an admiration for fellow sportsmen, a legendary musician and a versatile Hollywood star...

ZINEDINE ZIDANE

Zinedine Zidane made everything looks so easy and effortless. He was a top player and a really great professional. His style was great to watch and he was one of the best players of the generation when I was growing up.

WILL SMITH

I like watching Will Smith movies; he is wicked in so many different things. He can do comedy or serious roles, he’s done songs, he’s just one of those people that inspire you. He always comes out with quotes about being successful as well, which I admire.

ROGER FEDERER

I like tennis so I watch quite a lot of it and in individual sports the mental focus the players need to have is crazy. If a footballer has a bad game, there are 10 others in the team to help them, but in an individual sport if you’re not on your game you are going to lose. I’ve always admired that, and in tennis Roger Federer is one of the best, if not the best player I’ve seen, so he is someone I’ve looked up to as a fellow sportsman.

THIERRY HENRY

Like Zidane, at the time I was about 10 years old and really getting into football and understanding it, Thierry Henry was just at the top of his game. I just liked watching him because he was a great footballer and I admired the way he could change a game

MICHAEL JACKSON

Michael Jackson is a legend and his songs are still around to this day, which says it all really. He was a great performer as well. When he used to go on stage he lit the whole place up and I think that’s something sportsmen can relate to because we have got to go onto a stage and perform effectively week after week. Whoever you are off the pitch, you have to step on the pitch and perform.

chelseafc.com

FT10.JPG

On 31/05/2016 at 0:21 AM, ja1 said:

He still played advanced for Emgland throughout in this tournament, as the no.10 in a 4-3-1-2/4-1-2-1-2. Watmore and Redmond ahead of him. Him and Baker having licence to roam forward meant England attacking were almost playing 4-2-4, with wingers Redmond and Watmore naturally drifting wide.

It was a 4-3-3 with Baker as a false #9 and RLC the most advanced midfielder.

b/r:Ruben Loftus-Cheek Talks International Champions Cup, Chelsea Hopes and More

“I got scouted so came down to Chelsea and really enjoyed it,” Loftus-Cheek told Bleacher Report. “We had a good group of players and I made some good friends. We used to win every game at that age group. It was so much fun. We used to go play Arsenal and the other teams, but we were still winning every game.”
“It was just Portacabins back when I first started coming here,” he told us, reinforcing just how long ago it was when he first arrived as a Chelsea player. “It’s changed a lot. We used to share it with Fulham at the old pavilion building, but then Chelsea took over the whole setup and made it into this great place.”
“We found out where the first-team building was, so we would be excited every time we came to training just to see if we could catch a glimpse of the players—if we were lucky enough to get a glimpse,” he recalled.
“It was great for us young kids. From what I can remember, John used to always come over and watch and chat with the parents about the players,” Loftus-Cheek explained.“It’s a really good memory to look back on, playing as a young kid and going through the age groups to now be playing with John. It’s a great thing that I have achieved.”
“When I was nine, 10 years old, I just played football for the fun of it,” he added. “I loved playing football. I used to play in the street with my mates. I’d play for the school, too, and I enjoyed it.“When I got older and hit 13, 14, it became a bit more real. My mum and dad said to me, that if I wanted to do this, I’ve got to give it everything.“Ever since then I’ve stuck at it and worked hard. It was definitely in the back of my mind at that time that I wanted to play for Chelsea.”
“Yeah, I was still a schoolboy in 2012,” he said. “I was injured for most of the season and I think I had a really good chance of playing all season, even though I was younger than most of the players. I managed to get back fit for the final, which was my first game back. Adi brought me on for the last 20 minutes and it was really good for me.”
“The experience against Norwich when we lost, I was gutted. Even though we had won it the season before, I wasn’t a key player in that team. Being injured, not playing and only coming on in the final, I wanted to win it by playing every game, going through those battles. I was really gutted to lose that final,” he reflected.
“It was immense against Fulham,” Loftus-Cheek said. “The first leg was tough as well and we brought it back just enough. In the return game at Stamford Bridge, I remember saying to the players: ‘We’ve got to go out fast and start well because we need to get back on track.’ We got the goal, but then Patrick scored for them and it was just a mad game.“Losing like we did to Norwich a year earlier really drove us on. The next season we came back and won it.“I didn’t feel any pressure as captain against Fulham. It was just great to be playing in front of a stadium full of people at that age. You don’t get thousands of people watching you every game, so as a squad we were really excited when the Youth Cup came around as we were playing in front of crowds and the game felt like it really meant something. I just wanted to go out and play football.”
“I remember everything about that. Coming down to the pre-match meeting, I didn’t think I would be involved but then I just saw my name on the starting sheet. It was a big surprise,” he revealed.“When we got to the stadium and I was lining up in the tunnel, David Luiz said to me: ‘You’re 17 and you’re playing for Chelsea. You can play in the first team for a while, so enjoy it. It’s a big moment for you.’“The fans are great over there. I didn’t realise there would be many ‘soccer’ fans,” he laughed. “The atmosphere was great and I enjoyed the games we played.“I’m definitely looking forward to going back to the big stadiums. We’re playing some really good teams and that will be fun.”
“I was 14,” he said without flinching, as if marking Frank Lampard in training as a teenager is the norm. “Jordan Houghton and I went over to train with the first team and Carlo Ancelotti was manager. The nerves were definitely there, but they go after a while.“I’ve been over here [with the first team] for a while now, and I’m playing more and more games. I feel like a part of the squad, an important player.”

Chelsea fans hope he remains a while longer yet.Ruben Loftus-Cheek Answers Your Questions.Before Bleacher Report spoke with Loftus-Cheek, we asked Chelsea fans to send us questions they would most like to ask him. So, we put some of them to the midfielder, and here’s how he responded:

@SimplyTareq: If you could play with any Chelsea legend, who would it be?Gianfranco Zola. I never really saw him play in person, but from the clips I’ve seen, he was magical. I would have to say Zola because of that.

@AMcGovern25: Who is the best player from the academy you have played with?It’s a tough one as there have been so many. Jeremie Boga is very good.

@ChelseaAnalytic: What’s the best advice you’ve had from a senior player at Chelsea?I speak to John Terry a lot. Whether it’s about football or other stuff, he’s always happy to help and talk to me. There’s not one thing I can say is the best advice he has given me, but I speak to John a lot.

@MokkaCheenu: How much of an influence has Guus Hiddink had on you? What are your impressions of him?He’s a really nice man. I wish him all the best in the future. He’s been willing to play me and give me a run of games towards the end of the season, which I’m grateful for. I really wish him all the best now that he’s leaving the club.

Bleacher Report

chelsea.PNG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2016 at 9:18 PM, the wes said:

You met her? Shes a nasty cow.

This is one lad that Conte needs to work,work,work.

With Conte coming in and his love for fitness I hope he drastically improves RLC in this aspect of his game. Ruben is a box to box midfielder, he's wasted as a CDM or #10. I think he has the potential to become a top b2b mid, but as anything else he would be bang average.

My feelings exactly, RLC needs to focus on fitness(he has no choice with conte!) and learning what he needs to do for one position(b2b). a fit focused RLC as a b2b is ideal in my eyes and hopefully conte can work his magic like he did with Pogba. 

agreed, but part of that could be playing out of position? he is most certainly not a 10. With a clearly defined role and support from the coach i think he will feel more confident in himself and what he is supposed to do. He certainly has the athleticism to fill the role, just needs to up his fitness and understanding of the system (both come with learning how to be a professional + experience) i have high hopes for him with Conte working on him.

2 hours ago, Chelsea4 said:

The full article:

The Times

20 July 2016 
Ireland

Loftus-Cheek makes a big impression on Conte

Matt Hughes

Antonio Conte is considering abandoning his plans to sign another central midfield player this summer because of his belief in the potential of Ruben Loftus-Cheek.
The England Under-21 midfielder is understood to have made a big impression on Conte in training over the past seven days and the club's new manager is hoping that he will develop into a big part of his first-team squad after being used sparingly by José Mourinho and Guus Hiddink last season.

Loftus-Cheek, right, started Chelsea's first pre-season fixture against Rapid Vienna last weekend and, if he continues to impress, the 20-yearold could solve a problem for the club. Chelsea's proposed move for Radja Nainggolan, the Belgium midfielder, has collapsed as a result of Roma's valuation and the club were still planning to sign another combative midfield player after completing the transfer of N'Golo Kanté at the weekend, but Loftus-Cheek could provide an alternative.

Conte's priority is signing an additional centre back, with Kalidou Koulibaly and Kostas Manolas his leading targets, and he may choose to give Loftus-Cheek a chance to prove himself with a view to signing another midfield player next January if required.

Much will depend on which players stay at Chelsea, because Nemanja Matic is wanted by Juventus and Cesc Fbregas's future is uncertain because of Conte's doubts over whe-ther the Spaniard can successfully operate in his preferred 4-4-2 system. Chelsea are also attempting to sign lvaro Morata from Real Madrid, but that transfer will not affect the future of Diego Costa, with Conte insisting yesterday that the Spain striker is not for sale. The club's hierarchy are growing increasingly frustrated at what they view as Atletico Madrid's attempts to unsettle Costa. Having already written to them once requesting that they refrain from fuelling transfer speculation, Chelsea are considering complaining again.

"Diego is our player," Conte said. "He is a fantastic player, a player with a fundamental importance and there is no problem. He stays with us, he is working very hard, he is very happy to work with his team-mates and with me."

Conte is hopeful that Kurt Zouma will be fit for the start of the season after the French defender returned to training for the first time yesterday since sustaining a cruciate knee ligament injury in February. Fbregas, Pedro, Gary Cahill, Juan Cuadrado and César Azpilicueta all trained under Conte for the first time yesterday after being given an extended summer break, but will not be considered for tonight's match in Austria against Pellets.

"Today Kurt started the aerobic work for the first time," Conte said. "We wait because we must respect the right time for him."

Well that's what we all wanted. 

I would love Nainggolan but if your going to gamble on youth and give them a sustainable playing time then that is far better. 

Now we need to see if the action matches the words because that is all we heard for the past few years, talk, talk, talk and no action. 

If Chelsea buy another central midfielder it's bye bye to RLC chances.

With Matic, Kante, Fabregas and that x-man we have 4 established players and too few games to play. And we must get top 4 next season.

I'd rather see another midfielder bought but I think it comes at the cost, unfortunately.

"Ruben, I see this player is young with great potential," Conte continued. "I like him a lot in the striker position. He has good technique, a good personality, he is good one v one, and it's normal that a young player can improve.