Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

What we need in MF is somebody who can lesser the burden on Kante in terms of defensive output and offer something going forward or mask Cesc's deficiencies in the physical aspect (in a 3 man MF with Kante and another more rounded solid player I think Cesc will potentially be a vital player if Sarri comes in, how many players are better with the ball than him in the squad - sure last season was poor but the season before hand he struggled then got into the team and was excellent - ?).

I think Ruben will be a sub more than not if he stays here next season, I think hes a number 10, he has to play off the front, in advanced positions, where he can have an impact on the match and even then he needs to increase his output in terms of key passes and shots which ultimately lead to goals and assists. He is too laid back, he'll be a squad player here if he keeps going this way in my eyes, I think he has the right attributes perhaps to come off the bench and break down a team as a player off the front but don't think he's going to waltz into the team next season like some people tend to think. He can carry the ball from deeper positions too but I don't think that what he wants to be doing, he wants to be playing higher up the pitch although like previously mentioned between Mourinho, Conte, Hodgson and Southgate he has played as a DM, CF, RW/LW and a CM, there is no clear indication of where hes best.  

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

What we need in MF is somebody who can lesser the burden on Kante in terms of defensive output and offer something going forward or mask Cesc's deficiencies in the physical aspect (in a 3 man MF with Kante and another more rounded solid player I think Cesc will potentially be a vital player if Sarri comes in, how many players are better with the ball than him in the squad - sure last season was poor but the season before hand he struggled then got into the team and was excellent - ?).

I think Ruben will be a sub more than not if he stays here next season, I think hes a number 10, he has to play off the front, in advanced positions, where he can have an impact on the match and even then he needs to increase his output in terms of key passes and shots which ultimately lead to goals and assists. He is too laid back, he'll be a squad player here if he keeps going this way in my eyes, I think he has the right attributes perhaps to come off the bench and break down a team as a player off the front but don't think he's going to waltz into the team next season like some people tend to think. He can carry the ball from deeper positions too but I don't think that what he wants to be doing, he wants to be playing higher up the pitch although like previously mentioned between Mourinho, Conte, Hodgson and Southgate he has played as a DM, CF, RW/LW and a CM, there is no clear indication of where hes best.  

No 10 is considered to be luxury player in modern football, unless he is one of your best player it is hard to justify playing a no 10.

7 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I can't argue that there are question marks regarding his potential fit into a Sarri-style system but with the exception of Kante, I would say the same about all the rest of our current crop of midfielders. 

What I keep reading however is the quality of Sarri's coaching and he'll work with what he's given and make it work. Koulibaly was apparently a prime example, somebody who wasn't comfortable on the ball and didn't look good enough and look at him now. I'd love to see a positive coach get hold of him and make him believe the hype and make him realise just how good he can become.

I just find it amazing that RLC is being pushed for England to start ahead of Alli who is one of Spurs most important players, and is playing in the England team alongside players who are regular starters in the Liverpool, City, United and Spurs teams. Yet he's a struggle to get a look in out squad, let alone the first XI. And on top of that you look at Fabregas, Bakayoko, Drinkwater and Barkley who have been chosen ahead of RLC for Chelsea, all of which failed to make their respective country's World Cup squads.

With regards to Mount, I feel Chelsea will consider him perhaps a year behind RLC and want to see him play at a higher level for one more year. 

In an ideal world though, who's to say we can't have Mount and RLC within our squad ranks in the future? In a group of 5-6 midfielders, there should be sufficient space for both. With the aim to become self-sufficient alongside the stadium issues, it's even more important to spend money wisely on our squad. Promoting the likes of Christensen, Mount and RLC into the squad ranks will hopefully reduce the needs in the future to buy players like Drinkwater, giving us more leeway in our budget to compete for the top end group of players. It needs a whole culture shift to be honest. Christensen I am hoping is the start of something far larger.

If we start the season with the same midfielders i can see Sarri playing a two man midfield which would likely be Drinkwater and Kante, something which will restrict RLC more, barring Mason returning and hitting the group running we just don't currently have enough quality for a 3 man midfield. Yeah i agee with the point re Sarri's coaching it's the one big ray of hope im clinging onto, but that will likely mean he's a squad player until if or when Sarri works his magic and early noises suggest he won't accept that, although that said if Sarri outlines a serious plan for him he might reconsider.

Is he being pushed ahead of Alli? If true i couldn't disagree more, Alli is streets ahead tactically in my opinion, his understanding of space is insane.

Mount is 50/50, i genuinely believe he could stake a claim next season but alternatively if a footballing side like Fulham or to an extent Newcastle (love or hate Rafa but he's good at giving already good players a further push to the next level Alonso, Mascherano and Torres prime examples although they were a few years older) that would be equally tempting.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

If we start the season with the same midfielders i can see Sarri playing a two man midfield which would likely be Drinkwater and Kante, something which will restrict RLC more, barring Mason returning and hitting the group running we just don't currently have enough quality for a 3 man midfield. Yeah i agee with the point re Sarri's coaching it's the one big ray of hope im clinging onto, but that will likely mean he's a squad player until if or when Sarri works his magic and early noises suggest he won't accept that, although that said if Sarri outlines a serious plan for him he might reconsider.

Is he being pushed ahead of Alli? If true i couldn't disagree more, Alli is streets ahead tactically in my opinion, his understanding of space is insane.

Mount is 50/50, i genuinely believe he could stake a claim next season but alternatively if a footballing side like Fulham or to an extent Newcastle (love or hate Rafa but he's good at giving already good players a further push to the next level Alonso, Mascherano and Torres prime examples although they were a few years older) that would be equally tempting.

Not sure if he's being pushed ahead of Alli, but there are certainly people in the media who feel he should perhaps be given a chance over Alli who isn't in the best of form. I agree with you, Alli is well ahead of him at the moment with regards to his tactical understanding but that comes off the back of having played about 200 first team games more than RLC. I don't think there is anything between them technically. He has been let down tremendously I feel by Chelsea not letting him go out on loan. If he had followed the same path as most of our youngsters he would have well over 100-150 games under his belt now and would likely have a far better tactical understanding and discipline to his game. I do firmly believe however that the ability is there and if used correctly he could become a huge player for the club.

Absolute bonkers, we have an under performing Bakayoko, Fabregas who is quite clearly now struggling and Drinkwater who was the most pathetic buy and is surplus to any sort of requirement.

Even to loan him would be fucking idiotic of the highest order, play him FFS.

It's a moot point comparing RLC to Drinkwater because one's an AM/winger/forward while the others a DM. If we are going to compare them two we might aswell compare Ampadu and Pedro aswell.

I think RLC has made it clear he expects more game time than in the past, his recent performances show he is much closer to Chelsea level readiness than he was before the Crystal Palace loan. I also think that he is a Sarri type of player, one the coach will gravitate too especially with a push from the fans and the club. He excels in Ball retention, passing, and close control all things that are integral for a Sarri system

I think it would be useless to send him out on Loan again, if i had to place a bet today I think he will be with the team this year sharing one of the more forward attacking midfield roles. Lets just enjoy him in this world cup before supporters lose their minds about a possible loan. Coach needs to look at and work with him before any decision is made.

On 6/25/2018 at 6:54 AM, Tomo said:

If we start the season with the same midfielders i can see Sarri playing a two man midfield which would likely be Drinkwater and Kante,

I hope with all my might we buy Kante a real partner but why would you use Waterboy instead of Barkley? I would prefer to see him playing Sarriball. And as the 3rd in a 433 than any of our other options I think.

But I would be happy as fuck IF Sarri could get into his head to turn it around and make him more lethal.

I know he's touted as an attacking midfielder, and I definitely think he's got the right mentality for it.  But, sometimes, it looks like his technique lets him down a bit.  He seems (from the admittedly limited time I've seen him) to beat his player with his strength.  If he could work on his fitness, I'd really like to see him as a box to box player. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11422956/ruben-loftus-cheek-slams-chelsea-for-lack-of-opportunities-given-to-young-players

Asked about his experience of life at Stamford Bridge, Loftus-Cheek said: "It's been so difficult to go from playing every game then get to the seniors and not be given a chance.

"It's really difficult mentally, there's only so long you just enjoy training with top players.

"From a year ago, I've improved so much from playing. A game situation is completely different.

"It's hard to compare the faith of Gareth Southgate and Roy Hodgson and my lack of chances at Chelsea because it's such a big club - managers are under pressure and maybe don't want to take a chance on a young player.

"I don't understand what's going on behind the scenes fully, but Chelsea's a massive club and I understand why chances don't come so often".

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, manpe said:

"From a year ago, I've improved so much from playing. A game situation is completely different.

I am really not sure if I've seen that big of a change mate. He still doesn't seem to have a very good footballing head as well as still looking awkward to me,

I think what has slowed him down maybe could have been the loan (on top of the club over hyping and over paying him far too early) MAYBE IF we kept him on site training he would have fought harder to get better to play?

And I dont think the England call up helped his ego. Hes now thinking well I#m a England player - I'm hood I am. Instead it makes us look at just what a sad choice of English CMs there are out there.

Its a shame cause I wanted him to come on well from the loan as it would have helped us out allot.

But I'm still open to using him IF Sarri thinks he might work. We shall see eh

• 2 weeks later...

I know opinions of RLC on here are split down the middle. My only hope is he comes back and fights hard for a spot, i don't want him complaining in the media about the club or opportunities. I think we let RLC/Barkley/Golovin fight it out for that 3rd mid spot next to Kante/Jorginho and the best man will win. If that is not RLC and he wants to leave in January or next summer, move him along (with a buy back clause, ONLY with a buyback clause) I want youth as much as the next guy, but we can't earmark a starting spot just because he is from the academy. I want him to prove he belongs the way Christensen did.