Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

13 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I would love to see a manager come in and tap into this pool. There has to be 4-5 players either on loan or within our current youth set up who can be integrated into the first team squad. They don't need to be coming in and being expected to start the majority of games but need to be trusted to come in and do a job when called upon and given enough games to flourish and develop. I think back to the Spurs game this season where Conte put faith in playing Christensen. That set him up then for the rest of the season and he has been trusted ever since. We need to be bringing in more like this.

That would allow us to cull a number of players from our current squad to change the style, formation, etc to suit a new manager, and allow us to concentrate this summer's budget on 3-4 signings which will significantly improve our starting XI.

The youth/loanee should be at the front of the que (in my opinion) is Mason Mount, he is basically another chance at KDB.

CHO and Amps are still kids so i'm happy to bide my time with them, but Mount will be turning 20 next season and he is already proven in the Europa so we should play him in that and the league cup, then (if he performs) start giving him league appearances.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

The youth/loanee should be at the front of the que (in my opinion) is Mason Mount, he is basically another chance at KDB.

CHO and Amps are still kids so i'm happy to bide my time with them, but Mount will be turning 20 next season and he is already proven in the Europa so we should play him in that and the league cup, then (if he performs) start giving him league appearances.

Agree, I've seen some of Mount and he looks a very good player (although won't expect us to win many headers in the middle of the park with him and Kante!)

Really difficult with Hudson-Odoi and Ampadu. i think they're both good enough already to be playing week in week out at the top end of the Championship and potentially even bottom half of the Premiership. Do they go out next season and get a full season of game time before coming back far more polished? Or do we go down the same route for them - cup games, Europa, etc gaining experience and hopefully impressing enough to force into the league team? 

As I pointed out earlier the biggest thing is to have a manager strong willed and brave enough to give these lads chances in big games if they are the best option available. Rather than shoe-horning a player into a different position because they are more experienced (e.g. playing Luiz in midfield instead of Mount).

I would love to see a manager come in and tap into this pool. There has to be 4-5 players either on loan or within our current youth set up who can be integrated into the first team squad. They don't need to be coming in and being expected to start the majority of games but need to be trusted to come in and do a job when called upon and given enough games to flourish and develop. I think back to the Spurs game this season where Conte put faith in playing Christensen. That set him up then for the rest of the season and he has been trusted ever since. We need to be bringing in more like this.
That would allow us to cull a number of players from our current squad to change the style, formation, etc to suit a new manager, and allow us to concentrate this summer's budget on 3-4 signings which will significantly improve our starting XI.
So do I. Hudson-Odoi should be getting considerable game time with the options ahead underperforming in recent weeks. No other way for youth to impress.

However, it's probably wishful thinking considering Guardiola has given youth the least amount of playing time amongst the biggest sides and it was supposedly one of his plus points.

49 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

So do I. Hudson-Odoi should be getting considerable game time with the options ahead underperforming in recent weeks. No other way for youth to impress.

However, it's probably wishful thinking considering Guardiola has given youth the least amount of playing time amongst the biggest sides and it was supposedly one of his plus points.

Is that because of the demands of Man City or Guardiola? 

Barcelona are going the way of buying made players instead of using La Masia. Tottenham is probably the prime of example of how far youth can take you.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Agree, I've seen some of Mount and he looks a very good player (although won't expect us to win many headers in the middle of the park with him and Kante!)

Really difficult with Hudson-Odoi and Ampadu. i think they're both good enough already to be playing week in week out at the top end of the Championship and potentially even bottom half of the Premiership. Do they go out next season and get a full season of game time before coming back far more polished? Or do we go down the same route for them - cup games, Europa, etc gaining experience and hopefully impressing enough to force into the league team? 

As I pointed out earlier the biggest thing is to have a manager strong willed and brave enough to give these lads chances in big games if they are the best option available. Rather than shoe-horning a player into a different position because they are more experienced (e.g. playing Luiz in midfield instead of Mount).

There can be ways round the lack of height tactically. As far as set pieces go Courtois is so good at coming out to collect there's not an urgent need for lots of height, and if we stick to 3atb then the tallest defender can drift into midfield when we are anticipating an ariel duel in the centre. As much as you have a point with CHO and Ampadu, at 17 there isn't any rush or need to send them out on loan or give them serious minutes, i'd happily see progress on their apps this season (about 10-15 each) while they carry on enjoying themselves smashing all before them in the youth cups (which will help further develop a winning mentality). The season after next is when big decisions will need to be made with those two.

1 hour ago, -Kaplan- said:

Is that because of the demands of Man City or Guardiola? 

Barcelona are going the way of buying made players instead of using La Masia. Tottenham is probably the prime of example of how far youth can take you.

Both. City are strolling to the title but hardly any changes have/will be made.

Barcelona were able to live off a fine line of players, which had to end at some point. Very few clubs can afford to filled youngsters on a regular basis or have the desire too.

5 hours ago, LAM09 said:

League minutes played by under-23 players this season:

9,254 • Manchester City
8,489 • Tottenham
5,957 • Arsenal
5,370 • Manchester United 
5,308 • Liverpool
4,115 • Chelsea

League minutes played by under-23 players this season:

9,254 • Manchester City

8,489 • Tottenham

5,957 • Arsenal

5,370 • Manchester United 

5,308 • Liverpool

4,115 • Chelsea

I was talking about graduates (only offered 46 mins) & not "youth" that cost £35-50m a pop. [emoji849]

8 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I was talking about graduates (only offered 46 mins) & not "youth" that cost £35-50m a pop. emoji849.png

Yeah that stat has been making the rounds, but the likes of Pogba also count as a ‘graduate ‘, or Lingard who is 25, important to see the context behind stats. City’s only academy players this season in their squad this season were two 17 year olds. Not only that but that stat only counts league matches, Pep for instance has given more game time to Foden and Diaz over all competitions than Conte has to CHO. 

15 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Both. City are strolling to the title but hardly any changes have/will be made.

Barcelona were able to live off a fine line of players, which had to end at some point. Very few clubs can afford to filled youngsters on a regular basis or have the desire too.

So then there is no discussion to be had. Top tier football requires minimal youth integration. 

Yeah that stat has been making the rounds, but the likes of Pogba also count as a ‘graduate ‘, or Lingard who is 25, important to see the context behind stats. City’s only academy players this season in their squad this season were two 17 year olds. Not only that but that stat only counts league matches, Pep for instance has given more game time to Foden and Diaz over all competitions than Conte has to CHO. 

Everyone is waxing lyrical about their league triumph, so that's were it really matters.
So then there is no discussion to be had. Top tier football requires minimal youth integration. 
Who said there was. Just pointed at the fact Pep was fortunate at Barca and hasn't give youth much of a chance elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

We have 2 of our main loanees playing each other very soon. Young Happy going up against RLC.

Ive always liked Happy and was disappointed we had to loan him out but it was the best thing for him and us after his injury. But I would love to see him good enough to have him back with us. Lets see how the summer goes.

I admit to not ever being a big member of the RLC fan club. He always struck me as a tall ganggly guy that looked like Bambo on ice. He was hyped to the hilt and paid a daft sum of money so it was in our best interest to make him look good.

But I hoped this loan to Palace would give him that regular time being kicked about by men instead of academy lads,

Ive not seen owt of him to be honest this season but I'm happy hes had some good reports and looks like he might be getting it together,

Palace games on soon at Stoke so will watch him with an open mind. Lets hope he plays well. Would come in handy.

2 of our brightest young stars. Lets see how it goes

• 2 weeks later...

Very common for young promising players to be selected to gain experience at this level, esp if the manager believes they can provide some contribution. Reckon, from watching him this season, that he's not ready to start many games, but would be an interesting option coming off the bench if you need a goal or simply break through a tight defense line.

He looked pretty inventive and mobile when I saw him. Very interesting player to keep and actually use next season.

5 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Been selected for England's WC squad. Quite surprised

Not that surprising to me, Southgate coached him at U21 and proper believes in his talent. 

@Unionjack remember I did say Southgate loves him. England’s CMs are quite poor as well so he has a chance to maybe get quite a lot of minutes.