test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tobey Gibson

12. Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Started by Tobey Gibson,

2,199 posts in this topic
Just now, Stats said:

23 is a young age and has loads of time to improve his game and improve as a player.

You can be 33 and still improve. The point here isn't about improvement but about fulfilling his potential. If 22/23 isn't the age to start fulfilling the potential, then when is he ever gonna start doing that? Guess we've handled their development differently but look at Mount. He's only 19 but has started to make a real impact in his career. Can't say the same about Loftus-Cheek, can we? FWIW, I'd put Mount ahead of Loftus-Cheek and Barkley.

1 hour ago, kellzfresh said:

Hopefully he doesn't get another silly injury so that he can have time to train with the gaffer and improve his tactical awareness. He has all the potentials to be a great player and Barkley shouldn't be ahead of him in the team.

I didn't watch the game against videoton. Sarri said that he conceded 3 counter attacking chances due to his tactical weaknesses, did anybody here noticed that?? 

23 hours ago, communicate said:

I didn't watch the game against videoton. Sarri said that he conceded 3 counter attacking chances due to his tactical weaknesses, did anybody here noticed that?? 

I dont know whether he blamed the chances videoton had on RLC or on the team as a whole but I know sarri has been saying RLC needs to improve his tactical knowledge of the game.

This is a huge factor in why talented players just don't seem to reach their potential. See what Gattuso said about Bakayoko

On 10/6/2018 at 11:09 AM, Jason said:

Pardon me if I'm being harsh but Loftus-Cheek will turn 23 years old in 3 months and we're still talking about "potential" with him? :doh: 

Its because we can see what he can do with the ball, and when he doesn't do it often, he is not fulfilling his potential yet. He could be a late bloomer

4 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Its because we can see what he can do with the ball, and when he doesn't do it often, he is not fulfilling his potential yet. He could be a late bloomer

He has shown glimpses of what he can do with the ball but I don't think he's shown enough quality with it. Plus, banking him being a late bloomer is risky, isn't it? It's like fans hoping Torres would eventually come good all those years ago!

Johnnyeye likes this

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

He has shown glimpses of what he can do with the ball but I don't think he's shown enough quality with it. Plus, banking him being a late bloomer is risky, isn't it? It's like fans hoping Torres would eventually come good all those years ago!

But that is not the same is it? Torres already showed how good he can be and jsut lost his pace and confidence with an injury reducing him to the average striker he actually was without both. But RLC has shown that he is an ok player at Palace and everytime he is. We dont rely on his confidence or pace comign back but just to show more of what he is good at. But anyway I don't think we will see that until he features regularly but even then I dont think he is that good. Next summer we should decide. Either sell or give him a chance at the starting XI if he has warranted it.

3 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

But that is not the same is it? Torres already showed how good he can be and jsut lost his pace and confidence with an injury reducing him to the average striker he actually was without both. But RLC has shown that he is an ok player at Palace and everytime he is. We dont rely on his confidence or pace comign back but just to show more of what he is good at. But anyway I don't think we will see that until he features regularly but even then I dont think he is that good. Next summer we should decide. Either sell or give him a chance at the starting XI if he has warranted it.

My point is banking on something to come based on dodgy evidence is not the way to go about building the team. 

1 hour ago, Special Juan said:

No way he breaks into this midfield right now, our midfield with Kovacic/Barkley, Kante and Jorgino is absolute top level right now.

I think he can take Barkely's spot if given the chance. He keeps the ball better, dribbles better, and passes better than Ross. He nneds to be hungry and take the minutes handed to him by the horn. Thursday was a good start he didn't too bad to kill off his future chances. This international break will do wonders for him tactically I think. Another point is he plays better when he has a run of games watch his Palace games, he got better and better each time he played and with enough Europa and League Cup starts in the coming months who knows he might be starting for us after impressing. 

Mufassir08 likes this

1 hour ago, the wes said:

Ruben Loftus-Cheek to demand Chelsea exit in January to save England career

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6273341/Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-plotting-Chelsea-loan-exit-January.html

If I was in the chelsea board I would offer Palace £20m drinkwater and RLC for Zaha

If we made that offer, we would probably have to agree to pay part of Drinkwater's insane £120K PW wages. Both players value together is around £60m, then add in £10m is wage support for Drinkwater.

That puts our total payout at around £90m for Zaha. He is not worth that much. Not even close IMHO. That's far more than Bailey would even cost.

The only wingers in the world worth £90m (or much more as well) would be (no order) Hazard, and then (if you you count them as wingers, Messi and CR7) and then Mbappe, Neymar, Dembele, Sané, Salah, Asensio, Bale (soon not due to age) and Insigne (maybe, as he is 28 in June so only 2 seasons under 30 if signed next summer). Might, might, be able to make a case for Sterling, Bernardo Silva (I super rate him, he is an unreal talent) and Thomas Lemar.

Thats it.

Bailey, Vinícius Júnior, Bernardeschi, and Chiesa maybe be someday soon there, not quite yet (years away for Vinícius Júnior, as he is only a couple months onward from being 17yo).

On 10/10/2018 at 5:35 PM, Vybzkartel said:

I think he can take Barkely's spot if given the chance. He keeps the ball better, dribbles better, and passes better than Ross. He nneds to be hungry and take the minutes handed to him by the horn. Thursday was a good start he didn't too bad to kill off his future chances. This international break will do wonders for him tactically I think. Another point is he plays better when he has a run of games watch his Palace games, he got better and better each time he played and with enough Europa and League Cup starts in the coming months who knows he might be starting for us after impressing. 

He won't get a run of games here, unless something drastic happens like a long term injury or suspension occurs. Kovacic and Barkley are ahead of him in the pecking order.

I cannot see a long term for him at this football club, I just can't.

Johnnyeye likes this

I remember as a 14 year old there was a kid on our team who was a superb player the trouble was he'd only do something if the ball came to him. What I mean by that was he'd never look for the ball or put pressure on the opposition he'd coast for most of the game. Same goes for RLC he just doesn't get involved enough I think he's scared of making a mistake and only gets involved intermittently it was the same when he played for England against Belgium.

It's a shame because I'm really not convinced by Barkley even if he is improving and Ruben is potentially a better player but it looks like that's three managers in Maureen, Conte and Sarri who don't particularly rate him.

Fulham Broadway and Johnnyeye like this

He needs to leave Chelsea on a permanent basis in January for his own career. If Chelsea value him they will buy him from wherever he goes. At age 22 he needs game time something we are unwilling to do. His talented enough to be a regular EPL starter for most teams in England so he should go for the sake of his own career. He should look at KDB and Salah as good examples, put the graft in at a smaller club eventually your talent will shine and a big move will come along sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, Vybzkartel said:

He needs to leave Chelsea on a permanent basis in January for his own career. If Chelsea value him they will buy him from wherever he goes. At age 22 he needs game time something we are unwilling to do. His talented enough to be a regular EPL starter for most teams in England so he should go for the sake of his own career. He should look at KDB and Salah as good examples, put the graft in at a smaller club eventually your talent will shine and a big move will come along sooner rather than later.

good point. If KDb and Salah could not get a game, RLC chances don't look so good. On the other hand, things could change if we get CL for next season with a lot more important games in the schedule.

The problem is that every manager is under pressure with little to no incentive to take chances with younger players. So, either these players show a lot in practice or they won't get minutes.

I know that some players simply have that drive to impress the manager in practice sessions, while others don't.

Don't see this changing until our managers last longer than a season or two.

Vybzkartel likes this

well done getting a hat trick lofty I forget the last English player to score hat trick for Chelsea 

44 minutes ago, the wes said:

well done getting a hat trick lofty I forget the last English player to score hat trick for Chelsea 

Surely it's Lampard?

the wes likes this