Olivier Giroud

ack17

Oliver Giroud, who has been capped twice by his country, has hit 16 goals in 22 games for Montpellier in Ligue 1 so far this season. Montpellier, though, are bracing themselves for concrete offers in the summer and, according to France Football, have now decided to raise Giroud's buy-out clause, which had previously stood at €10m (£8.4m). Montpellier have reportedly increased Olivier Giroud's buy-out clause to €16 million (£13.4 million) in a bid to avoid losing the forward on the cheap in the summer.

I heard that Arsenal and Newcastle are interested on him.

I hope Chelsea monitor him. It would be a good if we sign him.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but I haven't heard much from him this season. I think maybe the Ayew brothers are over-shadowing him.

His main problem is his playing style, he dives and keeps the ball (also known as the Nasri Syndroma) too often. Otherwise when he decides not to bitch and to play simple with movement as against Germany on wednesday he's a good player. He has also not a bad amount of assists this season, I think he's among the best in Europe

I believe he only came good this season and I'm not even sure if he's even that good. There are better options out there IMO.

Sorry mate but your belief is wrong, I'm from Tours (his former club) and the only thing I can say to you is that he's not an opportunist. He's on his 4th consecutive very good season with a linear progression.

• Grenoble did not kept him, he was loaned to Istres where he scored 14 goals in 2007/2008. Tours was promoted in 2nd division and signed him in the summer.
  • Giroud wasn't the main asset in 2008/2009 in a team which finished 5th (and missed the second promotion back to back...). He scored 12 goals
  • He was the main asset the season after in an average team (which lost Koscielny, Diarra, Ca, Bong, Atik) and he scored 20 goals, often on his own (Ligue 2 top scorer). He signed to Montpellier in the winter but stayed on loan at Tours
  • On his first season in top flight he scored 12 goals whereas Montpellier was an outsider before ending the season 14th
  • On his second season he has scored 16 goals so far with 8 assists and Montpellier is a title contender. He became full international and scored his first goal on his 2nd selection, 1st time in starting XI

Le nouveau André-Pierre Gignac.

I think you're wrong too, there's nothing to do with those 2 ones.

First of all, Gignac has one only good season for him: 2008/2009 when he scored 24 times

Here's the typology of his goals: 23 right foot, 1 left foot. 24 in the penalty box.

Toulouse only played for him, he had Etienne Didot who really deserves all the credit for the success because it's him who gave that much assists to Grognac.

Exactly the same with Bafé Gomis who was feeded by Pascal Feindouno in 2008.

Here's the typology of Giroud goals this term (it's similar the seasons before, but I havent the precise figures).

16 goals: 7 first goals (best tally) 14 in second half, average a goal every 2 hours and not any goalless streak.

12 goals inside the penalty box, 8 in the six yard box

4 goals outside the penalty box

8 goals with his favorite left foot, 4 with his right foot, 1 with the head

8 different assist providers (contrary to Gameiro with Amalfitano, Gomis/Feindouno and Gignac with Didot)

Gignac was already known in France, he was already scouted for France when at Lorient. He's stupid with a poor lifestyle (he's always injured, lunches in fast foods and stay on playstation all day round), he promised to sign with Lille but he eventually signed for Toulouse. He's a genuine opportunist, signed fot his boyhood club of Marseille and really does nothing to improve his case. He's a poor footballer, slow, no left foot, no motivation, no goalscoring spirit, no intelligence of play...

Giroud is a really smart guy, he's a playboy but beside that he made wise career choices and has the head on his shoulders in press conference. He said not long ago that he didn't want to sign for Paris if it was to warm the bench. I didn't but some friends of mine did chat with him after a training session and said to me he's a nice guy (as Koscielny). Gignac is allowed to have said to a father of 3 in Marseille that he'd kick his ass after the guy said to him that he didn't respect a driving obligation with his 4x4

Giroud could have signed for Middlesbrough or Celtic Glasgow after good performances in Ligue 2 in 2010, as could have done Koscielny with Nantes in January 2009. Both didn't and chose Montpellier and Lorient

I don't think Giroud'd be likely to sign for Chelsea to be honest, there will be rumours especially because he'll be going to the Euros for France. But he won't chose a club where he'd warm the bench as Chamakh does. I think he'll sign for Spurs

But he's really a complete striker, has good finishing, good technique, his controls are terrific. He was compared to Ibrahimovic by Max Marty (the guy who bring him to Tours and who already did know him before). He wins everything in the air, he keeps the ball very well.

He knows when to shoot and when to pass, he has a good mentality and a huge motivation due to the difficult start of his career. Even when he misses something (or everything, but's it's rare lol) at the start of the game, he stays an even bigger threat for the rest of the game.

Brilliant analysis SeB, I take back my comparison between Gignac and Giroud. I'm glad I made the comparison though, as it instigated your analysis!

I honestly think he will end up in the Serie A. I think Roma will be great for him. Hopefully he doesn't join PSG, Lyon or Marseille.

A read a lot of people who think he's not suited for English Football and that he'd rather go to Liga or Série A.

I'm of those who think he's made for English Football, all in his playing style makes me think he can only succeed there. Almost 4 years that I'm convinced of it and how his career goes only confirms this feeling lol

• 2 months later...

Saw Giroud last night and he was impressive. Could be a good 2nd striker that won't overshadow Torres (as least initially!) and won't cost £25m+. I think he would be worth considering.

Saw Giroud last night and he was impressive. Could be a good 2nd striker that won't overshadow Torres (as least initially!) and won't cost £25m+. I think he would be worth considering.

Think again.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Arsenal-must-pay-40m-for-Olivier-Giroud-and-Newcastle-were-too-small-for-him-says-Montpellier-chairman-article846841.html

Arsenal's interest in Olivier Giroud looks like being over after Montpellier's colourful chairman demanded £40m for the in-form striker.

Newcastle had been strongly linked with the 25-year-old at around £8.3m before Alan Pardew said today they would not sign a forward until summer.

Montpellier owner Louis Nicollin responded by calling the St James' Park club "too small" for Giroud in the first place and slapping the highly optimistic price tag on his 13-goal hitman.

Nicollin, whose surprise side are second in Ligue 1, said: "Newcastle? They are too small for him. Arsenal? You would have to see if Arsene Wenger is interested but, as before, there is Van Persie.

"And at 10million euros? No. Given that he still has more than two years of contract, it will cost more.

"He has a contract until 2014, so 50 or 60million euros at least."

• 2 weeks later...

RMC reporting that we're interested in Giroud with Lukaku going on loan in the opposite direction

RMC INFO SPORT - According to reports, Arsenal will start discussions with Olivier Giroud in the coming hours.

http://www.rmcsport.fr/editorial/265518/arsenal-giroud-c-est-parti/

:blink:

RMC INFO SPORT - According to reports, Arsenal will start discussions with Olivier Giroud in the coming hours.

http://www.rmcsport....ud-c-est-parti/

:blink:

yes from that article, it says that the club prefer to sell him to either Arsenal or Chelsea, hoping to secure a loan deal for either Chamakh or Lukaku.Arsenal should be making a bid in the next hours. basically this week.

I didn't think that there's be much of interest in RMC.fr's - no, I don't know how reliable they are -

article

about

Arsenal

closing in on Montpellier forward Olivier Giroud, but it's nice to be wrong. Although Arsenal look like they're in pole position to nab the striker (and for fairly cheap, too - €12M is the quoted price), Montpellier president Louis Nicollin has indicated he'd be more than happy to deal with

Chelsea

as well:

Le club de Louis Nicollin préférerait le transférer à Arsenal ou Chelsea pour récupérer

Marouane Chamakh

ou

Romelu Lukaku

, en prêt, dans la transaction.

Loosely translated, that means that Montpellier would have preferred to sell to Arsenal or Chelsea because they want one of Marouane Chamakh or Romelu Lukaku on loan. Google translated, it starts talking about Yoann Gourcouff because Google Translate

is possessed by some sort of demon witch or something

Anyway, this is of interest on two fronts. One is that we could probably acquire Olivier Giroud and for fairly cheap if we wanted. If Arsenal are in for him while

Robin van Persie is there, he must be willing to play second fiddle, and since Chelsea can offer higher wages it wouldn't be impossible to snatch him out of the Gunners' cold, grasping hands. Secondly, it sounds as though Montpellier could be a completely viable loan option for Lukaku, which would be fantastic - he'd be playing in a competitive league and potentially in Europe too.

So keep an eye on this transfer. I don't expect anything to go through soon, but if Arsenal do buy Giroud and don't send Chamakh the other way, I could definitely see Lukaku heading to France. And if they don't manage to secure that deal, Giroud would be a very nice option for Chelsea anyway.