Andreas Christensen

Wilson

We're almost certainly going to sign a marquee defender, a first choice, so the second spot will be a dogfight between Zouma and Christensen. 4th spot can stay Cahill's, decent back up. Will be interesting.

For all the good things that he has done this season, only now I see glimmer of confidence in his ball-playing aspect. Don't want to sound negative, he is very good DEFENDER at this age, however he has the abilities to be way more proactive in possession that he has been this term. Especially after that was one of the most impressive features in his game at youths, I pay great attention to that when I see him playing for Gladbach and he has been undeniably modest with his passing. Almost always tried to play to nearest partner/goalkeeper. Come on, he is way better than this. He has technical abilities to carry the ball from defence and spread the passess across the pitch. His run on Friday was a mirror of one of his runs he did decent amount of times at youth level, I particularly remember game against United when he almost scored after beating everyone from his own backline. For me that was very encouraging piece of play that his confidence is growing and fear for failure flies away. And yes I understand he is a kid and doesn't want to overdo things at the moment, but he has those abilities that others can dream of, he was deployed in midfield for couple of Denemark matches particuarly because of his midfield-like abilities in ball control, calmness, striking of the ball. He has to continue like he did on Friday, more proactive, more dominant in possession. Being undeniable starter like he is at the moment should give him that confidence.

9 minutes ago, manpe said:

We're almost certainly going to sign a marquee defender, a first choice, so the second spot will be a dogfight between Zouma and Christensen. 4th spot can stay Cahill's, decent back up. Will be interesting.

A player on 90k a week to be 4th choice ?

3 hours ago, manpe said:

As painful as it is sentiment wise it makes sense on a footballing level to let JT go if we recall Andreas and sign a top class centre back.

On the other hand it means our first choice Xl will have no homegrown players in for the foreseeable future which isn't ideal but on the flip side to thst it will put pressure on us to get some players through sharpish, so every cloud I guess.

4 hours ago, Tomo said:

As painful as it is sentiment wise it makes sense on a footballing level to let JT go if we recall Andreas and sign a top class centre back.

On the other hand it means our first choice Xl will have no homegrown players in for the foreseeable future which isn't ideal but on the flip side to thst it will put pressure on us to get some players through sharpish, so every cloud I guess.

Cesc is Homegrown, if I am not wrong.

2 hours ago, chelseafan26 said:

Cesc is Homegrown, if I am not wrong.

I meant literally homegrown, its good to have Cesc and Begovic as HG officially but every club needs a core from their own country and there could well be no English regulars next season in our side.

With Remy, Pato and Falcao almost certainly leaving I'd love it if we bring in Troy Deeney, English and has leadership qualities, Costa/Deeney/Traore would quality wise be our best set of forwards for years.

9 hours ago, Tomo said:

I would actually be okay with letting JT go if it is a step to bring back Christensen and give him a genuine chance.....but I know it won't happen.

Btw, Christensen i homegrown. Ake is not only homegrown but also 'club trained'. I don't see how those two would weaken our current XI. Just have to have some balls.

22 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

I would actually be okay with letting JT go if it is a step to bring back Christensen and give him a genuine chance.....but I know it won't happen.

Btw, Christensen i homegrown. Ake is not only homegrown but also 'club trained'. I don't see how those two would weaken our current XI. Just have to have some balls.

I don't see why not, Christensen is more at the Courtois/Sturridge stage of development as opposed to randomenly promoting a youngster with no experience.

What I mean by that is recalling Andreas would be like signing a new defender from The Bundesliga by all intents and purposes and with Zouma out till September and probably needing some time to get up to speed when he is back, I wouldn't be that shocked to see Christensen and the new centre half (hopefully Bonnuci) line up together.

Also like I said to Chelsea fan26 I meant literally home grown, no football club can go too long without a core of players from their own country, hopefully we fix it soon.

How much he is worth ?

Christensen plays in Champions League team, in one of the best leagues, has great season, is one of truly modern centre-backs, plays in the national team at such responsible position at this age and on top of that he is homegrown player. Considering that we bought Baba for 25m€ after one good season in outsider side, I think up to 30m€ could be the right answer. It's mad.