Andreas Christensen

Wilson

5 hours ago, The Skipper said:

He's not better than Luiz in that position because he lacks the physicality that Luiz does. Can you imagine Christensen doing what Luiz does now defensively or can you imagine him doing more what Cahill does defensively? 

Luiz is a better passer as well so there's literally no argument to play Christensen in the centre IF Luiz is playing. If Luiz wasn't playing however, he'd definitely be my second option there.

Also, we went for Romagnoli *before* we signed Luiz. If we signed Romagnoli then I don't see a future for Christensen here tbh.

I think he has more experience than Luiz playing in a back 3 in all honesty. Sure Luiz has excelled but lets not deter from the fact Luiz still has his flaws (was evident in CL against top opposition for PSG over last few seasons) and always will albeit they have been masked with this system and his discipline at times, he's at an age where it's harder to change him unlike Christensen who is very much still learning. 

Also regarding the physicality, that's a thing that will come with Andreas getting older and filling out, its natural that he will need a bit of gym work to play regular in the PL (he might get a PL loan move first before being considered in the squad here) a lot of non British players now a days do need that regardless of which league they come from but I can't see that being an issue, German football is also physical as well as international football at times, so it's not that he will be too lightweight but just needing a bit of a top up. 

I agree regarding Luiz's passing being better than Christensens but as useful as it is, Christensen is also just as effective at coming into midfield to play although maybe not as expansive with his passing but that's not a major issue for me in all honesty, defenders are there to defend first, regardless of modern day football, you look at the Bonucci and sure he's a good passer but you wouldn't fancy taking him on 1v1, he's an amazing defender but with Luiz perhaps you would because he has got a mistake in him. It's not like Christensen shirkes away from coming out with the ball or playing risky passes too, we all know how comfortable he is on the ball from his time in the academy as well as his time in Germany playing in one of the most exciting teams in the league but it is right to say Luiz has a bit more in his locker on the ball.

Also I can't see him playing Cahill's position, I just have a feeling we will go for Romagnoli or some other left footed alternative for that LCB role (Conte is definitely aware of him from his time with Italy and will know that he's played on the left of a back 3 for Italy under the new coach) which is somewhere we need to look at improving in the long term. Both Cahill and Luiz are not long term options in these two positions in a back 3, I really hope Zouma will be used on the right (think he's not quite got that composure like Bonucci, Luiz or Christensen have to be considered for the middle), Christensen in the middle and if we can sign Romagnoli, him (or someone else) on the left as long as Conte is still here and still in favour of 3 at the back. Long term that would be brilliant. 

I think the struggles we seen with Azpi as LB could eventually come to light with Cahill as a LCB too, Gary's not bad on the ball or with his left foot but he's always wanting to use his right which can close a passing option for him or slow the move down or whatever, as opposed if he opened his body up and used his left. But that's a common fault with a lot of different players in different positions in different teams.

22 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Think he's a perfect replacement for Cahill personally.

I would not put Azpi out, so no way we should play with two shorter CBs and Luiz.

Besides, why this ball control and passing ranks CBs top again? FFS we all see how Stones is doing. I admit, CB needs to know how to pass the ball, but doesnt have to be Xavi at it. We have Luiz who is fantastic passer, Azpi is not bad for CB either in possesion. 

I still dont see Christensen fit this team anyhow. I might sound like Mourinho, but if he was taller and stronger, he would fit in well, but currently not. We have Luiz as passing CB. Christensen for all the passing and ball control he has, he is not top defender, yet. He gets exposed, and what I like about CB in PL is to be strong, so he can control opponents. Something Vidic, Rio, Terry could do. Christensen would get bullied against any bigger striker and corners. And since we already have Azpi, we need to to find taller CB. In bigger picture, taller CB can defend corners better and also pose bigger threat to score header from corner. Conte style will definately rely on set piece danger, and right now only Cahil and Luiz can score from such. Take Cahil away, we dont have anyone else. 

So yeah, I would prefer if Zouma gets back to best and fills Cahill place rather bring Christensen to add style to back four, but expose us big time. 

Some sound like Guardiolas on this thread, Christensen is good, but he would be same like Stones. And good player or not, I prefer strong, safe CB over Stones everyday. We play in PL under Conte, and for first time, we brought glimpses of that 2005-2009 team that had lot of power and directness in them. So bring players that suit that. Moses instead of Oscar and you saw what some power can add over that flair and tricks. 

I rate Christensen as he is our product, young and promising, but he is simply not my type of CB. You can talk that such CBs are future of football, but take a look at City, thats prime example why they are not. CB needs to be powerful presence first and stylish later. Pique, Puyol, Boateng all know how to control ball and pass, but they are all powerful. Christensen and on top of that in PL? I think he is perfect for spain tho.

Perhaps if we didnt have Luiz, but considering he is doing very well, there is no chance Christensen will replace him. 

39 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

I would not put Azpi out, so no way we should play with two shorter CBs and Luiz.

Besides, why this ball control and passing ranks CBs top again? FFS we all see how Stones is doing. I admit, CB needs to know how to pass the ball, but doesnt have to be Xavi at it. We have Luiz who is fantastic passer, Azpi is not bad for CB either in possesion. 

I still dont see Christensen fit this team anyhow. I might sound like Mourinho, but if he was taller and stronger, he would fit in well, but currently not. We have Luiz as passing CB. Christensen for all the passing and ball control he has, he is not top defender, yet. He gets exposed, and what I like about CB in PL is to be strong, so he can control opponents. Something Vidic, Rio, Terry could do. Christensen would get bullied against any bigger striker and corners. And since we already have Azpi, we need to to find taller CB. In bigger picture, taller CB can defend corners better and also pose bigger threat to score header from corner. Conte style will definately rely on set piece danger, and right now only Cahil and Luiz can score from such. Take Cahil away, we dont have anyone else. 

So yeah, I would prefer if Zouma gets back to best and fills Cahill place rather bring Christensen to add style to back four, but expose us big time. 

Some sound like Guardiolas on this thread, Christensen is good, but he would be same like Stones. And good player or not, I prefer strong, safe CB over Stones everyday. We play in PL under Conte, and for first time, we brought glimpses of that 2005-2009 team that had lot of power and directness in them. So bring players that suit that. Moses instead of Oscar and you saw what some power can add over that flair and tricks. 

I rate Christensen as he is our product, young and promising, but he is simply not my type of CB. You can talk that such CBs are future of football, but take a look at City, thats prime example why they are not. CB needs to be powerful presence first and stylish later. Pique, Puyol, Boateng all know how to control ball and pass, but they are all powerful. Christensen and on top of that in PL? I think he is perfect for spain tho.

Perhaps if we didnt have Luiz, but considering he is doing very well, there is no chance Christensen will replace him. 

Honestly if we stick with 3 at the back he is the natural successor to David Luiz in that middle role out of all the players we have. He's not a poor defender either, the point was Luiz adds that fantastic long range passing from the defence where we can go from back to front with one pass as welll as his defensive skills which have been good so far since he's returned but there's still signs in there he's not completely changed. 

Christensen is a good defender, he will develop more physically before being in the first team here, he doesn't need to be a massive bulging unit of muscle to be a success, look at Carvalho, Cannavaro, Mascherano etc. smaller, slighter built players who played as CBs. Even then Christensen is like 6ft? Hardly small

28 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Honestly if we stick with 3 at the back he is the natural successor to David Luiz in that middle role out of all the players we have. He's not a poor defender either, the point was Luiz adds that fantastic long range passing from the defence where we can go from back to front with one pass as welll as his defensive skills which have been good so far since he's returned but there's still signs in there he's not completely changed. 

Christensen is a good defender, he will develop more physically before being in the first team here, he doesn't need to be a massive bulging unit of muscle to be a success, look at Carvalho, Cannavaro, Mascherano etc. smaller, slighter built players who played as CBs. Even then Christensen is like 6ft? Hardly small

Naturlich, you are correct my friend. 

We shall see how this fella does in PL and hopefuly, he shall do well.

Yeah, you definitely have to give Christensen time to develop physically. He's not even 21 yet. By 22-23 he could easily add more muscle (but hopefully not so much that it changes his game drastically).

And please don't compare him to that clown Stones. He is an absolute fraud and a joke of a player. I've said it in this thread already that Christensen is a better player.

9 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

I have to disregard the rest of your post because Christensen and Luiz are pretty much the same height. Andreas is slated to be 188cm whilst Luiz is 189cm I believe. I think you've got it in your head that Andreas is short but he isn't. We aren't trying to be Pep hipsters lol.

The thing he needs to do the most is put on muscle which is more than doable. 

11 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Sure Luiz has excelled but lets not deter from the fact Luiz still has his flaws (was evident in CL against top opposition for PSG over last few seasons) and always will albeit they have been masked with this system and his discipline at times, he's at an age where it's harder to change him unlike Christensen who is very much still learning. 

What exactly does Luiz need to change or improve now? He's perfect for that central CB role. He doesn't need to change or improve on anything but his concentration and consistency which has nothing to do with his raw footballing ability. 

12 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

you look at the Bonucci and sure he's a good passer but you wouldn't fancy taking him on 1v1, he's an amazing defender but with Luiz perhaps you would because he has got a mistake in him

Still Luiz is being doubted on his one on one ability, when not one of the top players or strikers in the PL have got the better of him. We've played against Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, City and United, the teams with the best forwards in the league, and apart from against Arsenal and Liverpool performed very well against all of them. Even against Arsenal and Liverpool he didn't look out of place - he certainly wasn't the worst player or defender on the pitch. So Luiz has faced the likes of Aguero, Kane, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku etc. and didn't allow one mistake that lead to even a goal scoring chance or goal but he's still essentially being labelled as a liability in the back, as someone you can't fully trust yet which is quite incredible.

Bonucci was the same as Luiz before Conte was done with him, so it's only fair that you give Luiz the same time and luxury to work under Conte and prove himself which so far he has done well. He's been one of the best CBs in the league period. 

12 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

I think the struggles we seen with Azpi as LB could eventually come to light with Cahill as a LCB too, Gary's not bad on the ball or with his left foot but he's always wanting to use his right which can close a passing option for him or slow the move down or whatever, as opposed if he opened his body up and used his left. But that's a common fault with a lot of different players in different positions in different teams.

I think the LCB role is a lot different to the LB role that Azpi played thus you can't really compare the situation. Our LCB (Cahill) does not have to bomb up the pitch and deliver a cross or check back on to his right foot to deliver a cross. When we have the ball they are important in keeping the ball moving, which is why I think Christensen would do just fine their to alleviate your concerns. How often do you see Azpi or Cahill even in the 2nd third of the pitch? Not often at all  

Christensen is a passer, he's comfortable enough with his weaker foot to pass it forward well if he needs to. As we've seen with Cahill in the system however it can work. Now imagine we have someone who is far more comfortable on the ball and someone who's a passer and good at moving the ball forward. It would add another dynamic to our forward play. Christensen for me would be amazing in Cahill's role. 

4 hours ago, Styles said:

Yeah, you definitely have to give Christensen time to develop physically. He's not even 21 yet. By 22-23 he could easily add more muscle (but hopefully not so much that it changes his game drastically).

And please don't compare him to that clown Stones. He is an absolute fraud and a joke of a player. I've said it in this thread already that Christensen is a better player.

Gotta feel sorry for Stones in some ways. Played for a manager who didn't bother about the defensive side of things at Everton and now playing for another similar one at Man City and even worse is his manager likes to over-complicate things. Can't be good for someone who's still young and trying to develop his game.

3 hours ago, The Skipper said:

I have to disregard the rest of your post because Christensen and Luiz are pretty much the same height. Andreas is slated to be 188cm whilst Luiz is 189cm I believe. I think you've got it in your head that Andreas is short but he isn't. We aren't trying to be Pep hipsters lol.

The thing he needs to do the most is put on muscle which is more than doable. 

Yes you are correct I thought he is actualy smaller. But in my head I always compare him to Stones (who isnt small either), based on their build. So perhaps instead of mentioning his height, I should say he is not strong enough like some other CBs I believe do better in PL. And even if he is 1.88, he is hardly the guy that would have great jump on him or could bully other players. So it doesnt realy help him, much like Matic. I realy like CB to be strong in air area. 

But like you said, he can develop. I doubt he will put much muscle on his body, I realy doubt it. Either players are bulky naturaly, or they are slim. When they decide to change that, you can see their careers go in all wrong ways, such as injuries etc. But he can do a Carvalho in terms of playing. 

However one thing bothers me, that people put his skills out too much. Its nice that he is skillful, but he is a CB. And tbh I have not been impressed by his defending just yet. People get excited by that silky skill and put him in our team already, Im kinda passive about that. To me CB has to be good defender first. So I wont be surprised if he doesnt do as people expect here, and we will see Batshuayi thing all over again. 

But lets see how it works out, one thing, Conte definately knows how to make CB. He did it with Bonucci and now Luiz, which should get much more credit than he does.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

Yes you are correct I thought he is actualy smaller. But in my head I always compare him to Stones (who isnt small either), based on their build. So perhaps instead of mentioning his height, I should say he is not strong enough like some other CBs I believe do better in PL. And even if he is 1.88, he is hardly the guy that would have great jump on him or could bully other players. So it doesnt realy help him, much like Matic. I realy like CB to be strong in air area. 

But like you said, he can develop. I doubt he will put much muscle on his body, I realy doubt it. Either players are bulky naturaly, or they are slim. When they decide to change that, you can see their careers go in all wrong ways, such as injuries etc. But he can do a Carvalho in terms of playing. 

However one thing bothers me, that people put his skills out too much. Its nice that he is skillful, but he is a CB. And tbh I have not been impressed by his defending just yet. People get excited by that silky skill and put him in our team already, Im kinda passive about that. To me CB has to be good defender first. So I wont be surprised if he doesnt do as people expect here, and we will see Batshuayi thing all over again. 

But lets see how it works out, one thing, Conte definately knows how to make CB. He did it with Bonucci and now Luiz, which should get much more credit than he does.

Fair play. This is one of the biggest reasons why I'd want him to play in Cahill's position if we do keep him around. 

Andreas is different to Stones in that he's far more intelligent with his use of the ball. He doesn't dwell on it stupidly like Stones does and is a very smart, elegant defender. Stones is quite elegant sometimes but not smart like Andreas so he's far less effective than Andreas. 

We have Hazard, a better wing back and Christensen on the left side and Hazard won't ever be disrupted by poor support behind him. 

8 hours ago, The Skipper said:

What exactly does Luiz need to change or improve now? He's perfect for that central CB role. He doesn't need to change or improve on anything but his concentration and consistency which has nothing to do with his raw footballing ability. 

Still Luiz is being doubted on his one on one ability, when not one of the top players or strikers in the PL have got the better of him. We've played against Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, City and United, the teams with the best forwards in the league, and apart from against Arsenal and Liverpool performed very well against all of them. Even against Arsenal and Liverpool he didn't look out of place - he certainly wasn't the worst player or defender on the pitch. So Luiz has faced the likes of Aguero, Kane, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku etc. and didn't allow one mistake that lead to even a goal scoring chance or goal but he's still essentially being labelled as a liability in the back, as someone you can't fully trust yet which is quite incredible.

Bonucci was the same as Luiz before Conte was done with him, so it's only fair that you give Luiz the same time and luxury to work under Conte and prove himself which so far he has done well. He's been one of the best CBs in the league period. 

I think the LCB role is a lot different to the LB role that Azpi played thus you can't really compare the situation. Our LCB (Cahill) does not have to bomb up the pitch and deliver a cross or check back on to his right foot to deliver a cross. When we have the ball they are important in keeping the ball moving, which is why I think Christensen would do just fine their to alleviate your concerns. How often do you see Azpi or Cahill even in the 2nd third of the pitch? Not often at all  

Christensen is a passer, he's comfortable enough with his weaker foot to pass it forward well if he needs to. As we've seen with Cahill in the system however it can work. Now imagine we have someone who is far more comfortable on the ball and someone who's a passer and good at moving the ball forward. It would add another dynamic to our forward play. Christensen for me would be amazing in Cahill's role. 

Luiz is playing the best football he's played for Chelsea yes but he is still rash (high tackle on Fellaini could of been a red, numerous attempts at trying to make interceptions he is never going to make going through the back of players picking up stupid bookings) and make the wrong decision (ridiculous attempt at whatever that was for Spurs goal). My concern was and still is, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, he's 29, he's already learned so much and will continue to be the same player he was 2 years ago although the system helps him and his concentration at times has been fantastic considering the train wreck he was under Villas-Boas... but Christensen is 21 or 22 with 2 seasons playing football that isn't at an academy level, still learning and can still be moulded in to whatever Conte wants to mould him in to.  Luiz still has issues 1v1, definitely but playing as the middle defender in a back 3, he is seeing what's happening around him more, positioning himself to prevent or block crosses/cut backs/to win headers, to sweep up behind Azpi or Cahill rather than directly engaging opponents as much as he would in the other two positions. There's no doubt this system helps him, he is a good player, has been one of the best CBs in however many games so far this season too and I'm not saying he isn't but he's still got some problems which he had the first time he was here. 

Bonucci was one of the better CBs in Serie A before Juventus signed him. He was part of the second best defense statistically in Serie A the year before he moved to Juve (ironically enough he played with Inter Milan's Andrea Rannocchia) and eventually Conte ditched his 442 system to play all of Barzagli, Bonucci and Chiellini because he was more than good enough.

I hope Luiz can still improve with Conte and this system and continue to remain concentrated in games but he's shown slight moments where you can see those faults. That's normal though we knew what we were selling and knew what we were buying but the 343 really has helped him along with Costa, Hazard, Moses and Matic rediscovering their form/contributing. If we went back to a 4 man defence you'd see these faults a bit more because he'd be more exposed.

It probably would work with Christensen on the left but he's played in the middle for nearly 2 seasons now and he plays that role very well. He has experience in that middle central defender role, more than Luiz, albeit Luiz has been around for longer, I think he has looked a hell of a lot better there with Gladbach than when they've played him in a 4 man defence but that's just me. I still think we will end up with anther defender regardless of if Christensen comes back year. I also think Luiz wasn't Contes first or second choice option. 

Playing on on the right of Mochengladbachs back 3 right now.. weird

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/12/2016 at 7:19 AM, Dazzy_Vance said:

Made the European team of the week. Must be doing something right.

Christensen voted Player of the Month for December

Andreas Christensen celebrates scoring against Mainz

Andreas Christensen has been voted Borussia’s Player of the Month for December.

Andreas Christensen received 33% of the votes, beating Thorgan Hazard, Raffael and Yann Sommer to the Player of the Month award for December. Thorgan Hazard came in second with 30% of the vote, then Raffael with 23% followed by Yann Sommer with 14% of the vote.

Christensen has been the talisman of Borussia’s defence, not only in December but throughout the whole season. In December, the defender played the full 90 minutes in each of Borussia’s five competitive fixtures. The 20-year old scored the opening goal in Borussia’s only win in December against Mainz. “I think it might have been the most important goal of my career. It was an important goal for the whole team,” said Christensen after he was voted Man of the Match post game.

Christensen is the fifth player to receive the award so far this season. Raffael won in August, Thorgan Hazard in September, Yannik Vestergaard in October and Mahmoud Dahoud in November.

Christensen voted Player of the Month for December

On 12/6/2016 at 2:17 PM, The Skipper said:

How often do you see Azpi or Cahill even in the 2nd third of the pitch? Not often at all  

All the time, especially Azpi who pushes forward every time space is afforded. 2nd third is around the middle of the pitch, isn't it? We play a high line so it's natural they are in the 2nd 1/3 most of the time when in possession.

8 hours ago, manpe said:

All the time, especially Azpi who pushes forward every time space is afforded. 2nd third is around the middle of the pitch, isn't it? We play a high line so it's natural they are in the 2nd 1/3 most of the time when in possession.

Azpilicueta yes. Cahill no. The onus of the point I was trying to make in that point was more about Cahill not being comfortable enough in possession to play further forward. Azpi is obviously much more comfortable on the ball so he has been given more freedom to join the team when we're moving forward. Quoting it like that completely takes it out of context lol.

9 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Azpilicueta yes. Cahill no. The onus of the point I was trying to make in that point was more about Cahill not being comfortable enough in possession to play further forward. Azpi is obviously much more comfortable on the ball so he has been given more freedom to join the team when we're moving forward. Quoting it like that completely takes it out of context lol.

There was no special context for this question, was there? I re-read your post and couldn't find anything that changed the meaning of the question to which I replied. You said both Azpi and Cahill are rarely in the 2nd third of the pitch, I completely disagree with that, you disagreed with yourself too by admitting that Azpi does go forward. If you divide the pitch into thirds, then whatever way you look at it both are often in that area.