test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Wilson

27. Andreas Christensen

Started by Wilson,

1,135 posts in this topic
30 minutes ago, Styles said:

That's great news.

Azpi is really performing in his new role however so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Azpi plays very well as a CB but with a healthy Zouma and Christensen he could have a tough time make it into the starting eleven. He isn't too tall(178 cm) and not the best header. A tall striker can beat him very easily as Ibra did it on sunday. Azpi had no chance to win an aerial against him.

Muzchap likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think all this talk about him in first 11 is a bit overrated.

Atm we play 3:4:3 and I would play Azpi, Luiz and Zouma ahead of him. Not to mention Conte could go for another top CB. 

Christensen has a long way to go, but I feel people started to judge him on his passing ability. He is CB first and foremost and what matters is his defending. Secondly, there will be huge physical jump from buli to PL (just take a look at Baba) and things could go either way. 

Personaly, I prefer stronger, no nonsense CBs like Zouma, Baily ahead of Stones and Christensens, but we will see.

The lad plays well and deserves a chance next season no doubt. But a starting spot? No. Not yet atleast.

Strike, Muzchap and Supermonkey92 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rate this lad more higher than Zouma if im honest. Zouma is a big, fast guy but doesn't show to poise that Andreas has. I feel like having Zouma who is a bit rash at times and Luiz who is also a bit rash at times with a natural fullback in Azpi would be a bit of a disaster in the long run. If anything I'd prefer Azpi-Luiz-Christensen back three as opposed to a Azpi-Luiz-Zouma or Zouma-Luiz-Christensen  back three.

 

Nonetheless we should bring him back asap and play him. His potential is unreal.. reminds me a lot of Pique, just less dominant than him. If he can add that to his game he'd become one of the most complete modern defenders in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello to all fans of Chelsea,

I made a video about Andreas Christensen and I wanted to share with you the particular lot of action with Chelsea U23.
I hope you enjoy it and if you could tell me if you think he could stay at Chelsea next year after 2 years at Gladbach convincing especially since it seems to be one of the future best central defender.
Video : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVhAOz64jY

nyikolajevics and MefiX19 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nicolas41 said:

Hello to all fans of Chelsea,

I made a video about Andreas Christensen and I wanted to share with you the particular lot of action with Chelsea U23.
I hope you enjoy it and if you could tell me if you think he could stay at Chelsea next year after 2 years at Gladbach convincing especially since it seems to be one of the future best central defender.
Video : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUVhAOz64jY

Good video man!

But he was born in 1996, not 97. In the beginning in the video and in the title you wrote 1997.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2016 at 10:50 AM, Mustafa said:

Rate this lad more higher than Zouma if im honest. Zouma is a big, fast guy but doesn't show to poise that Andreas has. I feel like having Zouma who is a bit rash at times and Luiz who is also a bit rash at times with a natural fullback in Azpi would be a bit of a disaster in the long run. If anything I'd prefer Azpi-Luiz-Christensen back three as opposed to a Azpi-Luiz-Zouma or Zouma-Luiz-Christensen  back three.

 

Nonetheless we should bring him back asap and play him. His potential is unreal.. reminds me a lot of Pique, just less dominant than him. If he can add that to his game he'd become one of the most complete modern defenders in the world.

How is Zouma rash? He isn't as elegant as Christensen but he's one of the least error prone CBs about. 

Unionjack and Muzchap like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that too many CBs is an issue.  At Juve (my go to comparison because they've been playing a back 3 for a long time), they had BBC + Caceres + Rugani (who has a lot of potential).  No problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he comes back next year he will likely be competing directly with David Luiz. Both play in the middle of the back 3 (or at least when Gladbach have used a back 3 this season AC has) and it is probably the best place for both of them, as both can step in to midfield and play without leaving us too exposed. Will be interesting to see who gets the nod next season if we continue with the back 3 as Luiz has been good since coming back but showed signs of his old self for the Spurs goal and in a few other instances. 

Blue-in-me-Veins likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/11/2016 at 3:27 AM, Sideshow Luiz said:

I don't think that too many CBs is an issue.  At Juve (my go to comparison because they've been playing a back 3 for a long time), they had BBC + Caceres + Rugani (who has a lot of potential).  No problems.

Rugani doesn't get a lot of playing time at all but I guess the flip side of that is lesrnibg and training constantly with BBC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Think he's a perfect replacement for Cahill personally.

Maybe but I think he'd be better suited in that middle CB position, it's one he's very familiar with playing it with nearly every week with Mochengladbach, suits him down to the ground sweeping up and stepping out with the ball. Maybe he will replace Cahill next year but who knows, I don't think we'd have gone after Romagnoli if that was the case, left footed center back on the left side makes sense, round pegs in round holes and all.

akgw13, Leif and Blue-in-me-Veins like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that with his level of talent and comfort on the ball, and luiz being so versatile that Conte could figure out how to utilize both of their talents together. Luiz might thrive playing LCB or RCB if christensen slides in the middle. I look at BBC, Barzagli is the destroyer, Bonucci the ball player, and Chiellini has more freedom to charge into the attack/carry out. We have a lot of options available to us which is something Conte must love.

Example 1:         Azpi (Destroyer)       Christensen(passer)      Luiz(marauder) 

Example 2:        Zouma(Destroyer)     Christensen (Passer)    Luiz (Marauder)

Example 3:        Zouma                    Luiz                    Azpi

Example 4:          Azpi                Luiz                 Christensen

 

Luiz is playing unbelievably well in the center but that could be due to circumstance. He could potentially be even more lethal if moved to either side and such a smooth ball player like christensen in the middle. At the moment we don't have anyone who could play in Luiz spot except Luiz. Very exciting possibilities going forward. 

 

Styles, Blue-in-me-Veins and Leif like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Maybe but I think he'd be better suited in that middle CB position, it's one he's very familiar with playing it with nearly every week with Mochengladbach, suits him down to the ground sweeping up and stepping out with the ball. Maybe he will replace Cahill next year but who knows, I don't think we'd have gone after Romagnoli if that was the case, left footed center back on the left side makes sense, round pegs in round holes and all.

He's not better than Luiz in that position because he lacks the physicality that Luiz does. Can you imagine Christensen doing what Luiz does now defensively or can you imagine him doing more what Cahill does defensively? 

Luiz is a better passer as well so there's literally no argument to play Christensen in the centre IF Luiz is playing. If Luiz wasn't playing however, he'd definitely be my second option there.

Also, we went for Romagnoli *before* we signed Luiz. If we signed Romagnoli then I don't see a future for Christensen here tbh.

Supermonkey92, Styles, Tomo and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Skipper said:

He's not better than Luiz in that position because he lacks the physicality that Luiz does. Can you imagine Christensen doing what Luiz does now defensively or can you imagine him doing more what Cahill does defensively? 

Luiz is a better passer as well so there's literally no argument to play Christensen in the centre IF Luiz is playing. If Luiz wasn't playing however, he'd definitely be my second option there.

Also, we went for Romagnoli *before* we signed Luiz. If we signed Romagnoli then I don't see a future for Christensen here tbh.

I think he has more experience than Luiz playing in a back 3 in all honesty. Sure Luiz has excelled but lets not deter from the fact Luiz still has his flaws (was evident in CL against top opposition for PSG over last few seasons) and always will albeit they have been masked with this system and his discipline at times, he's at an age where it's harder to change him unlike Christensen who is very much still learning. 

Also regarding the physicality, that's a thing that will come with Andreas getting older and filling out, its natural that he will need a bit of gym work to play regular in the PL (he might get a PL loan move first before being considered in the squad here) a lot of non British players now a days do need that regardless of which league they come from but I can't see that being an issue, German football is also physical as well as international football at times, so it's not that he will be too lightweight but just needing a bit of a top up. 

I agree regarding Luiz's passing being better than Christensens but as useful as it is, Christensen is also just as effective at coming into midfield to play although maybe not as expansive with his passing but that's not a major issue for me in all honesty, defenders are there to defend first, regardless of modern day football, you look at the Bonucci and sure he's a good passer but you wouldn't fancy taking him on 1v1, he's an amazing defender but with Luiz perhaps you would because he has got a mistake in him. It's not like Christensen shirkes away from coming out with the ball or playing risky passes too, we all know how comfortable he is on the ball from his time in the academy as well as his time in Germany playing in one of the most exciting teams in the league but it is right to say Luiz has a bit more in his locker on the ball.

Also I can't see him playing Cahill's position, I just have a feeling we will go for Romagnoli or some other left footed alternative for that LCB role (Conte is definitely aware of him from his time with Italy and will know that he's played on the left of a back 3 for Italy under the new coach) which is somewhere we need to look at improving in the long term. Both Cahill and Luiz are not long term options in these two positions in a back 3, I really hope Zouma will be used on the right (think he's not quite got that composure like Bonucci, Luiz or Christensen have to be considered for the middle), Christensen in the middle and if we can sign Romagnoli, him (or someone else) on the left as long as Conte is still here and still in favour of 3 at the back. Long term that would be brilliant. 

I think the struggles we seen with Azpi as LB could eventually come to light with Cahill as a LCB too, Gary's not bad on the ball or with his left foot but he's always wanting to use his right which can close a passing option for him or slow the move down or whatever, as opposed if he opened his body up and used his left. But that's a common fault with a lot of different players in different positions in different teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Think he's a perfect replacement for Cahill personally.

I would not put Azpi out, so no way we should play with two shorter CBs and Luiz.

Besides, why this ball control and passing ranks CBs top again? FFS we all see how Stones is doing. I admit, CB needs to know how to pass the ball, but doesnt have to be Xavi at it. We have Luiz who is fantastic passer, Azpi is not bad for CB either in possesion. 

I still dont see Christensen fit this team anyhow. I might sound like Mourinho, but if he was taller and stronger, he would fit in well, but currently not. We have Luiz as passing CB. Christensen for all the passing and ball control he has, he is not top defender, yet. He gets exposed, and what I like about CB in PL is to be strong, so he can control opponents. Something Vidic, Rio, Terry could do. Christensen would get bullied against any bigger striker and corners. And since we already have Azpi, we need to to find taller CB. In bigger picture, taller CB can defend corners better and also pose bigger threat to score header from corner. Conte style will definately rely on set piece danger, and right now only Cahil and Luiz can score from such. Take Cahil away, we dont have anyone else. 

So yeah, I would prefer if Zouma gets back to best and fills Cahill place rather bring Christensen to add style to back four, but expose us big time. 

Some sound like Guardiolas on this thread, Christensen is good, but he would be same like Stones. And good player or not, I prefer strong, safe CB over Stones everyday. We play in PL under Conte, and for first time, we brought glimpses of that 2005-2009 team that had lot of power and directness in them. So bring players that suit that. Moses instead of Oscar and you saw what some power can add over that flair and tricks. 

I rate Christensen as he is our product, young and promising, but he is simply not my type of CB. You can talk that such CBs are future of football, but take a look at City, thats prime example why they are not. CB needs to be powerful presence first and stylish later. Pique, Puyol, Boateng all know how to control ball and pass, but they are all powerful. Christensen and on top of that in PL? I think he is perfect for spain tho.

Perhaps if we didnt have Luiz, but considering he is doing very well, there is no chance Christensen will replace him. 

Leif likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

I would not put Azpi out, so no way we should play with two shorter CBs and Luiz.

Besides, why this ball control and passing ranks CBs top again? FFS we all see how Stones is doing. I admit, CB needs to know how to pass the ball, but doesnt have to be Xavi at it. We have Luiz who is fantastic passer, Azpi is not bad for CB either in possesion. 

I still dont see Christensen fit this team anyhow. I might sound like Mourinho, but if he was taller and stronger, he would fit in well, but currently not. We have Luiz as passing CB. Christensen for all the passing and ball control he has, he is not top defender, yet. He gets exposed, and what I like about CB in PL is to be strong, so he can control opponents. Something Vidic, Rio, Terry could do. Christensen would get bullied against any bigger striker and corners. And since we already have Azpi, we need to to find taller CB. In bigger picture, taller CB can defend corners better and also pose bigger threat to score header from corner. Conte style will definately rely on set piece danger, and right now only Cahil and Luiz can score from such. Take Cahil away, we dont have anyone else. 

So yeah, I would prefer if Zouma gets back to best and fills Cahill place rather bring Christensen to add style to back four, but expose us big time. 

Some sound like Guardiolas on this thread, Christensen is good, but he would be same like Stones. And good player or not, I prefer strong, safe CB over Stones everyday. We play in PL under Conte, and for first time, we brought glimpses of that 2005-2009 team that had lot of power and directness in them. So bring players that suit that. Moses instead of Oscar and you saw what some power can add over that flair and tricks. 

I rate Christensen as he is our product, young and promising, but he is simply not my type of CB. You can talk that such CBs are future of football, but take a look at City, thats prime example why they are not. CB needs to be powerful presence first and stylish later. Pique, Puyol, Boateng all know how to control ball and pass, but they are all powerful. Christensen and on top of that in PL? I think he is perfect for spain tho.

Perhaps if we didnt have Luiz, but considering he is doing very well, there is no chance Christensen will replace him. 

 

Honestly if we stick with 3 at the back he is the natural successor to David Luiz in that middle role out of all the players we have. He's not a poor defender either, the point was Luiz adds that fantastic long range passing from the defence where we can go from back to front with one pass as welll as his defensive skills which have been good so far since he's returned but there's still signs in there he's not completely changed. 

Christensen is a good defender, he will develop more physically before being in the first team here, he doesn't need to be a massive bulging unit of muscle to be a success, look at Carvalho, Cannavaro, Mascherano etc. smaller, slighter built players who played as CBs. Even then Christensen is like 6ft? Hardly small

Styles likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

 

Honestly if we stick with 3 at the back he is the natural successor to David Luiz in that middle role out of all the players we have. He's not a poor defender either, the point was Luiz adds that fantastic long range passing from the defence where we can go from back to front with one pass as welll as his defensive skills which have been good so far since he's returned but there's still signs in there he's not completely changed. 

Christensen is a good defender, he will develop more physically before being in the first team here, he doesn't need to be a massive bulging unit of muscle to be a success, look at Carvalho, Cannavaro, Mascherano etc. smaller, slighter built players who played as CBs. Even then Christensen is like 6ft? Hardly small

Naturlich, you are correct my friend. 

We shall see how this fella does in PL and hopefuly, he shall do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.