"This is not soccer" => Brilliant!

Atholy

Way to often you see soccer players complaining and whining about every single referees decision.

Welsh Rugby referee Nigel Owens deals with this annoying (in football terms however even extremely polite) player 'like a boss' B).A lot of football refereers should take this as an example!

It's all about respect!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to often you see soccer players complaining and whining about every single referees decision.

Welsh Rugby referee Nigel Owens deals with this annoying (in football terms however even extremely polite) player 'like a boss' B).A lot of football refereers should take this as an example!

It's all about respect!!

Great ref! Great communication skills.

Refs should be trained on dealing with players this way...no pressure from players or crowds, just what he sees, regardless if the player is acting like hes been shot.

The fact that this ref referred to football in this way shows what a disgraceful side to our game that is.

All football referees should be linked up to tv cameras with microphones so we can listen to the reasoning behind their decisions, and also to hear the disrespect players give them, so they can be reprimanded.

All football referees should be linked up to tv cameras with microphones so we can listen to the reasoning behind their decisions, and also to hear the disrespect players give them, so they can be reprimanded.

That would be hilarious.

He's being like that because he knows everybody can hear him.. I'm sure football refs can act like that as well, it's just we don't hear what they're saying (mind you, without mics there are probably a lot of curses flying around).

Totally agree on that one! I think it would really help the fans to show some respect for the job of a referee!

Actually a great movie is made about referees "kill the referee". Unfortunately I cannot find a link to the whole movie. So here is a short part. Funny to see they have a voice :)!

http://vimeo.com/17026237

Also I bet a lot of you guys remember Thierry Henry's handball in the final qualifier for the World Cup in South Africa: France vs. Ireland.

=> result: France stole their qualification at cost of Ireland.

I can imagine a lot of Irish people still deeply hate the referee that permitted that goal to count.

Here's a really interesting documentary about this referee and the process towards this match. So whenever you guys have 20mins. off... take a moment to watch it :)!

Makes this 'devil' a little bit more human don't you think :)?

You could not have this in Football because of all the swearing and stuff. I like the way this ref dealt with it but i reckon you should be able to question decisions and refs should come out after a match and explain themselves. I personally hate our football referees. 85-90% are corrupt fuckers. Fuck their respect campaign, they should respect us, they don't deserve respect. We'll see more of the same shit tomorrow too i bet. Referees = consistently shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats funny. So the players should see a referee like Webb and just stay quite, let him do his job: help United to win anything?

Actually some referees deserve more than bad words.

you obviously don't understand Rugby. There are more contentious decisions than in football but players are NOT allowed to show dissent.

Football could learn a lot from other games.