test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kieran.

Patrick Bamford

Started by Kieran.,

1,488 posts in this topic

I don't know why we bother with these youngsters. These young players are wasting their time at such a big club this early, he could of been playing Championship football next season for Forest. Young players should only be signing for a club as big as Chelsea if they are as good as Robben or Micheal Owen in their teens otherwise its a waste of time. These players should look at a big club when they get to around 23-25 like Eto'o. He will now have to contend with big name strikers at the club for the next 5 years, he will go on loan then he will fade into nothingness and we'll forget about him.

LDN Blue, manpe and Peace. like this

I don't know why we bother with these youngsters. These young players are wasting their time at such a big club this early, he could of been playing Championship football next season for Forest. Young players should only be signing for a club as big as Chelsea if they are as good as Robben or Micheal Owen in their teens otherwise its a waste of time. These players should look at a big club when they get to around 23-25 like Eto'o. He will now have to contend with big name strikers at the club for the next 5 years, he will go on loan then he will fade into nothingness and we'll forget about him.

The answer is simple Badboy, money talks. Money has always and will always be the deciding factor in today's football world.

Looks like sometimes it's "why aren't we signing them when they are young" and some other time it's "why do we keep signign them".

Looks like sometimes it's "why aren't we signing them when they are young" and some other time it's "why do we keep signign them".

It never works out this way though. Name a teenager that a big club has signed in recent years that has broken through the reserves into the first team ? The only young players who succeed are the ones who are clearly good enough for first team football NOW, like Arjen Robben or Wayne Rooney. Patrick Bamford is the same age as Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and the Arsenal player is already Premiership quality. If your not special at that age then you have to stay at your club and break though and make an impression then if you're good enough you'll get your move to a big club, like Essien and Eto'o both players moved when they were 23 years old which is a fantastic age.

Fulham Broadway and OReillyD36 like this

I have no great hopes for Bamford. He seems a likely lad, but so did Borini and we know how that went. If he somehow puts things together and ends up skillfully leading our line in a few years, I'll be surprised and overjoyed. One positive I take from this is that we will be able to turn a profit when, not if, we sell him (even accounting for inflation). My understanding of FFP is that our purchase of Bamford does not count against us, but our sale of him in the coming years would count as positive cash flow under FFP.

It never works out this way though. Name a teenager that a big club has signed in recent years that has broken through the reserves into the first team ? The only young players who succeed are the ones who are clearly good enough for first team football NOW, like Arjen Robben or Wayne Rooney. Patrick Bamford is the same age as Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and the Arsenal player is already Premiership quality. If your not special at that age then you have to stay at your club and break though and make an impression then if you're good enough you'll get your move to a big club, like Essien and Eto'o both players moved when they were 23 years old which is a fantastic age.

Danial Sturridge.

Probably, but there are some exceptions.

I have no great hopes for Bamford. He seems a likely lad, but so did Borini and we know how that went. If he somehow puts things together and ends up skillfully leading our line in a few years, I'll be surprised and overjoyed. One positive I take from this is that we will be able to turn a profit when, not if, we sell him (even accounting for inflation). My understanding of FFP is that our purchase of Bamford does not count against us, but our sale of him in the coming years would count as positive cash flow under FFP.

From what I have heard Borini is doing very well at Roma. I don't see why he wouldn't have done well for us. And we didnt get money for him

either

From what I have heard Borini is doing very well at Roma. I don't see why he wouldn't have done well for us. And we didnt get money for him

either

Yeah, Fabio is doing quite well at Roma. My point was that Borini did well and progressed through ranks, and we let him walk for free. With Bamford at least should be able to get some dosh, if we have learned anything. Bamford has looked good in the couple matches I've seen him play.

Yeah, Fabio is doing quite well at Roma. My point was that Borini did well and progressed through ranks, and we let him walk for free. With Bamford at least should be able to get some dosh, if we have learned anything. Bamford has looked good in the couple matches I've seen him play.

surely the point is to KEEP the ones who are going to be good.
OReillyD36 likes this

surely the point is to KEEP the ones who are going to be good.

Absolutely, but one never knows with our board and the managerial carousel.

I was very disappointed that he seems to not be in Robbie's plans. If he's not on the bench when we only have two available strikers in a pre-season match, then he probably won't get any chances. It's a shame, really, especially that he has been doing very well (better than Romelu) with the reserves. Unfortunately for him, he did not cost a fortune.