Kevin de Bruyne

Madmax

No he hasn't. Not a fair one anyway. If it is Mata, it is ok to be rusty. If it is Hazard, he has underlying potential. If it is our entire defense bar Terry, it is whatever ....

Fact remains KDb was one of the best in pre season and pays heavily for not playing that well one game and some odd minutes. That is not a shot ... Especially after such a long time of simply no games .

People are getting it wrong about why KDB isn't playing. It's not because of one poor game, it's because of a lot of poor play but it's mostly because he simply doesn't fit into Mourinho's style. Neither does Mata, but Mata is one of the elite offensive players in the world, one of the best players in the Premier League for 2 years in a row. Both Mata and De Bruyne just don't fit Mourinho's defensive work-rate, raw speed, work inside a tight system, style of play. I don't think we should have signed Willian but when we did, it as always going too be difficult for De Bruyne to get time. Willian and Schurrle fit the Chelsea system much more. Hazard and Oscar have played regularly and the Schurrle, Willian, and Mata have been rotated into the other 1 position. Those players aren't getting any regular playing time, never mind De Bruyne.

And no, Kevin hasn't done himself any favours starting with not practicing hard. He had one great half against Hull and since then, he's been bad every time he's played. He had 3 starts after his Hull game. Against ManU, Arsenal in the League Cup (let's not pretend this was a full Arsenal side) and Swindon. He was either the worst or one of the worst player on the pitch in all three games. He did absolutely nothing. No goals, no assists, 1 tackle, 4 fouls, roughly 79% passing, 5 turnovers., was generally a pylon defensively Rated worst or second worst among our starters for all 3 games on whoscored. He's had more players dribble by him this season than he's made tackles. and interceptions combined. Why does he deserve to get a run of games? De Bruyne has had 4 starts. Schurrle and Mata have only had 9 starts. Willian has had 6. De Bruyne's competition has played better than he has, has had a better attitude than he has, has more experience than he has. You going to sit Hazard or Schurrle or Oscar or Mata just because you want De Bruyne to get a run of games? This isn't a situation like with Lukaku where the players in front of him are all suspect or middling, or a case with Courtois where there is only one aging player ahead of him, this is a case of having a whole bunch of young, quality options who fit the system better ahead of him.

@Stingray-Pre-season doesn't matter at all!!! I wish people would just stop bringing it up. It's entirely about fitness. Nothing else matters at all. Literally, on a scale of 1-10, your pre-season performance on a team like Chelsea is a 1. And yes, it's OK for Mata or Hazard to be rusty. Mata is a back to back Chelsea player of the year winner, made the PFA team of the year last year. Hazard also made PFA team of the year after winning player of the year in France in back to back seasons. Both players have proven their quality so when they struggle, it's not the same as when a player who has never played in the league struggles. Are you really suggesting that De Bruyne should get the same slack as Mata and Hazard? It's absurd. Of course teams treat proven players with a longer leash. Anything else would be idiocy.

Ofcourse pre-season matters, it's the basis for a manager to form his squad for the season. Every player is equally motivated to do well in those games because that's the period places are up for grabs. Well for most clubs anyway.

No he hasn't. Not a fair one anyway. If it is Mata, it is ok to be rusty. If it is Hazard, he has underlying potential. If it is our entire defense bar Terry, it is whatever ....

Fact remains KDb was one of the best in pre season and pays heavily for not playing that well one game and some odd minutes. That is not a shot ... Especially after such a long time of simply no games .

@Stingray-Pre-season doesn't matter at all!!! I wish people would just stop bringing it up. It's entirely about fitness. Nothing else matters at all. Literally, on a scale of 1-10, your pre-season performance on a team like Chelsea is a 1. And yes, it's OK for Mata or Hazard to be rusty. Mata is a back to back Chelsea player of the year winner, made the PFA team of the year last year. Hazard also made PFA team of the year after winning player of the year in France in back to back seasons. Both players have proven their quality so when they struggle, it's not the same as when a player who has never played in the league struggles. Are you really suggesting that De Bruyne should get the same slack as Mata and Hazard? It's absurd. Of course teams treat proven players with a longer leash. Anything else would be idiocy.

No. Not really what I tried to say, mate.

One, I disagree about preseason being only about fitness. I think that is a noarrow minded view few coaches would share with you tbh. If you think that is fact, I disagree (and some first league coaches with me btw here in Belgium).

Two: the rusty part: it is nowhere near about 'being ok rusty' or whatever. I know Mata has a track record and Hazard is awesome . My argument is that when they don't play (or dont play well) it is because they are rusty - so people say. When it is KDB, it is suddenly not taking his 'chances'. I remind you I reacted on a post saying he didn't take his chances, whatever they might have been. I found this line of reasoning to be a pure fallacy.

Idiocy? No ... I simply never said that actually. He doesn't need more slack. Completely different topic to say that. Again: it is simply unfair that one player has a bad match and he 'didn't take his chance' and another is 'rusty'. If you do that, it is such a category mistake.

I do believe in match rythm and even our stars need it. Why wouldn't the young guys? People so much underestimate that + the accompanied psychological/motivational component when talking about players. I find this ...... quite baffling and it is what i was reacting to in my original post.

Please, do not make my argument a strawman, i beg you.

I meant he has had a shot on goal.... against hull for example.. :readthemessage:B)

No. Not really what I tried to say, mate.

One, I disagree about preseason being only about fitness. I think that is a noarrow minded view few coaches would share with you tbh. If you think that is fact, I disagree (and some first league coaches with me btw here in Belgium).

Two: the rusty part: it is nowhere near about 'being ok rusty' or whatever. I know Mata has a track record and Hazard is awesome . My argument is that when they don't play (or dont play well) it is because they are rusty - so people say. When it is KDB, it is suddenly not taking his 'chances'. I remind you I reacted on a post saying he didn't take his chances, whatever they might have been. I found this line of reasoning to be a pure fallacy.

Idiocy? No ... I simply never said that actually. He doesn't need more slack. Completely different topic to say that. Again: it is simply unfair that one player has a bad match and he 'didn't take his chance' and another is 'rusty'. If you do that, it is such a category mistake.

I do believe in match rythm and even our stars need it. Why wouldn't the young guys? People so much underestimate that + the accompanied psychological/motivational component when talking about players. I find this ...... quite baffling and it is what i was reacting to in my original post.

Please, do not make my argument a strawman, i beg you.

De Bruyne didn't have one bad match. It's what I was saying. He had three matches where he was arguably our worst player. It's hard to shine not playing regularly, but when you're that bad 3 games in a row, the coach is going to notice.Yes, I agree players need rhythm to succeed which is why I've been saying even before pre-season that you CAN have too much depth. (despite the constant "you can never have too much depth" refrain from people that want to see us buy everybody) I am a big believer in playing guys for a while to see what they can do, even through mistakes If we hadn't have signed Willian, things would be different but as it is, only Hazard and Oscar have been allowed to get into a rhythm of any sort. Mata finally started three games in a row and those have been mostly at right midfield in a system that doesn't suite him with responsibilities that hamper the best part of his game. Willian and Schurrle have both not played for long stretches. This is not a De Bruyne problem.The problem is that we have too many attacking midfielders and strikers so that none of them (except Hazard and Oscar) will likely ever get into a rhythm. .

And yes, pre-season is meaningless except for fitness, getting money, and supporters' hopes that whoever is doing well in meaningless games is suddenly going to get playing time.Mourinho had his starting XI set before pre-season and nothing short of an injury would have changed that. It's the same with every single team. Results don't matter. Performances don't matter. it's about getting into game shape.

He had a good shot at the beginning of the season and he failed Jose. Not a fair one? I would say Schurrle has been treated more unfairly as he delivers well every time he plays, as does Willian. Kevin failed against some small team that doesnt even play in the PL (but was English I dont remember what team it was).

When people say Preseason, are they referring to Asian tour???

Where the other 2 standout players arent suiting up for Chelsea as well (Lukaku and Traore).

And when there were no ams besides Hazard....

KDB had the best opportunity to impress Mourinho. He came in healthy, he came in early and he got preseason run....

I remember Hazard came in injured and a bit late, while Oscar and mata were both in brazil. And Willian and Schurrle came in later on.....

But, I'm all for dropping Lampard for KDB or playin 4-3-3 with kdb rotating in!