Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

You NEVER dive in with your hands, especially in the box. Plus, he shouldn't be trying to block that when it was so far away from him because he would at best deflect it which would throw the keeper off.

And why is he going for that with his upper body? Much easier to reach it with his feet.

totally agree that he should be going with his feet (said so too). the execution was poor but not the intention (which is what u were questioning in the first post). a defender should always be looking to block a shot unless 100% sure that the GK will get it which GC could not have been sure of.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

totally agree that he should be going with his feet (said so too). the execution was poor but not the intention (which is what u were questioning in the first post). a defender should always be looking to block a shot unless 100% sure that the GK will get it which GC could not have been sure of.

If the blocking is done as of closing down the player about to take the shot then absolutely. Now shots from outside the box when the defenders are far away, our CBs are usually far away as they always stay deep, then I completely disagree (that they should attempt to block) and the first goal was also a mistake to me. All that these blocking attempts accomplish is to deflect the shots and make it a lot harder for Courtois.

We have a World Class keeper and should trust him more. Shots from afar should not be blocked unless of course the GK is out of position.

Disagree about the concept there. A CB should not try block a shot, especially when it has traveled some distance, unless he is certain that he will get enough contact to drive it well away from goal or else the deflection would put the keeper in trouble.

If the blocking is done as of closing down the player about to take the shot then absolutely. Now shots from outside the box when the defenders are far away, our CBs are usually far away as they always stay deep, then I completely disagree (that they should attempt to block) and the first goal was also a mistake to me. All that these blocking attempts accomplish is to deflect the shots and make it a lot harder for Courtois.

We have a World Class keeper and should trust him more. Shots from afar should not be blocked unless of course the GK is out of position.

Disagree about the concept there. A CB should not try block a shot, especially when it has traveled some distance, unless he is certain that he will get enough contact to drive it well away from goal or else the deflection would put the keeper in trouble.

totally disagree. a defender cant simply let a shot go thru. to say that the first goal was a mistake is blasphemy to me. how many blocks were there in this one match. johnson alone had 3 off hazard.

GC could not possibly have known courtois' position. he had to attempt to block. its has to be the primary objective of any defender of trying to block a shot (atleast thats what was taught to us). u have to play the percentages here. deflected shots are one in 10 but the rest are blocked by the defenders. and that is what he was doing. simply cant fault GC for that.

You NEVER dive in with your hands, especially in the box. Plus, he shouldn't be trying to block that when it was so far away from him because he would at best deflect it which would throw the keeper off.

And why is he going for that with his upper body? Much easier to reach it with his feet.

If he say mistimes it or catches it wrong with his foot and it deflects or he changes the direction of the shot and puts Thibaut off then he's made a mistake and cost us a goal so I can get the thought process of going for it with his chest to be honest. The way he went at it, if it hits his chest its only going to fall in front of him as opposed to the chance if he goes to try kick it away and say miskick it or effectively miss it, it could go in or go anywhere. I know it doesn't make much sense but he could of went to kick it totally fuck it up and end up scoring a comical own goal or something.

I mean I've never scored an own goal quite like that but you know... I've scored own goals and you think after what the fuck did I try do that for haha.

totally disagree. a defender cant simply let a shot go thru. to say that the first goal was a mistake is blasphemy to me. how many blocks were there in this one match. johnson alone had 3 off hazard.

GC could not possibly have known courtois' position. he had to attempt to block. its has to be the primary objective of any defender of trying to block a shot (atleast thats what was taught to us). u have to play the percentages here. deflected shots are one in 10 but the rest are blocked by the defenders. and that is what he was doing. simply cant fault GC for that.

Agree with this, you just can't assume that the ball is going to be saved by your keeper. A really hard, swerving shot might be spilled or parried into the path of an opposing player too. I'd rather take a chance with the block.

Disagree. Defenders shouldn't try to block long shots. Long shots rarely go in. They become more rare when a GK like Courtois is between the poles. Deflected long shots go in at a higher frequency.

What a defender must do when a player has that much space is leave his position and put the player under pressure.

Disagree. Defenders shouldn't try to block long shots. Long shots rarely go in. They become more rare when a GK like Courtois is between the poles. Deflected long shots go in at a higher frequency.

What a defender must do when a player has that much space is leave his position and put the player under pressure.

gc was yards off gerrard with willian right beside him (who actually should have put pressure). in this scenario, GC could not possibly have tried to close him down. also when the shot is taken with gerrard, as a defender your main priority HAS to be to block it. that too in the last minute. now, again, i am not saying block it in the way GC did, but the "intent" from GC was absolutely perfect.

while long shots might not go in, they can be parried by the GK and scored as a loose ball. or some of the long shots can be defelected in by opposition strikers (most of di maria's assits, :D ).

also, in one of the posts, someone "faulted" GC for the first goal. what was JT's first instinct? he tried to block the shot. the only difference, GC got their but unluckily deflected it in.

gc was yards off gerrard with willian right beside him (who actually should have put pressure). in this scenario, GC could not possibly have tried to close him down. also when the shot is taken with gerrard, as a defender your main priority HAS to be to block it. that too in the last minute. now, again, i am not saying block it in the way GC did, but the "intent" from GC was absolutely perfect.

while long shots might not go in, they can be parried by the GK and scored as a loose ball. or some of the long shots can be defelected in by opposition strikers (most of di maria's assits, :D ).

also, in one of the posts, someone "faulted" GC for the first goal. what was JT's first instinct? he tried to block the shot. the only difference, GC got their but unluckily deflected it in.

Just checked the goal again to make sure. Cahill wasn't looking to block the shot, it hit him. Gary was tracking Balo, who was trying to make a run in behind (in the space between Gary and John) and Terry was backing off, while looking at Can moving closer with the ball. It's not a mistake per se, since they rarely go in, but doing so, he gave Can the room to shoot. For me, Terry should've moved up and stood in front of Can.

Just checked the goal again to make sure. Cahill wasn't looking to block the shot, it hit him. Gary was tracking Balo, who was trying to make a run in behind (in the space between Gary and John) and Terry was backing off, while looking at Can moving closer with the ball. It's not a mistake per se, since they rarely go in, but doing so, he gave Can the room to shoot. For me, Terry should've moved up and stood in front of Can.

disagree. GC was tracking balo but as soon as he sees can shooting he slows down to block the shot. pretty evident in the video in the first 2 seconds itself.

agree that JT should have moved up and stood in front of can.

disagree. GC was tracking balo but as soon as he sees can shooting he slows down to block the shot. pretty evident in the video in the first 2 seconds itself.

agree that JT should have moved up and stood in front of can.

You're right, the angle in the video I watched was off.

Defenders shouldn't do that with long shots imo. Bar the rare blazing shots they can't save, long shots are for the GK to deal with. Instead, anticipate any balls parried back into play.

You're right, the angle in the video I watched was off.

Defenders shouldn't do that with long shots imo. Bar the rare blazing shots they can't save, long shots are for the GK to deal with. Instead, anticipate any balls parried back into play.

Just watch minute 75 to minute 80.

We had 4 blocks in 5 minutes.

Once henderson plays it to gerrard who shoots, JT blocks it brilliantly and the ball goes to halfway line to skrtel who plays quickly again and half a minute later JT blocka balo's

Defenders HAVE to try and block the shots. They have to consider themselves as the last line of defence and think about the worst case scenario.

Who on earth is saying defenders shouldn't block or smother shots?

Right, and goalkeepers shouldn't bother saving anything from inside their area.

What an obscene thing to say.

In the post I quoted from DYC. Also a couple of posts from cholo and rob.

In the post I quoted from DYC. Also a couple of posts from cholo and rob.

And I'm quoting from my experiences as a goalkeeper. There are "shots" I shouldn't even have to lift a finger for because my defenders should be making sure I do as little work as possible.

And I'm quoting from my experiences as a goalkeeper. There are "shots" I shouldn't even have to lift a finger for because my defenders should be making sure I do as little work as possible.

Dude, I am saying the same thing. Its the defenders main job to act as the last line of defence.