Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Named in the England squad and a nailed-on starter. Congrats Gary and most importantly...don't get injured.

Thankfully, if stays injury free, we know he'll get a good rest. England won't progress beyond the group stages.. Works for us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

wow... suprised this thread is so quite after last night. i thought he was absolutely IMMENSE.

its high time when he starts being regarded as world class.

Very good game from a good defender. Hardly world class, though.

Very good game from a good defender. Hardly world class, though.

he has a "very good game" about 85% of the games he plays in. that consistency coupled with how solid he is itself should edge him towards world class rather than a "good defender".

If he had a more exotic name and played for another club he would get more acclaim.

Alot of people claimed he wasn't good enough for Chelsea when we signed him..not many people will admit when they are wrong.

I do agree with Madmax tho...he's not really world class.

... in an ultra defensive system where he is afforded more protection than in nearly every other top team. The right time to judge whether he is world class or not would be this season where Mourinho has promised a more forward thinking style. For now (imo) he is a defender who has enjoyed a great season because the team is set up in a way that maximizes his limited set of skills.

When I hear the term 'world class', to me it means a handful of players that would slot in and perform in every and all conditions - irrespective of teammates, playing styles, philosophies. Ricardo Carvalho in his prime was world class. Thiago Silva today is world class. Gary Cahill is a very good player for a certain style of play.

I'm not knocking the guy, he's clearly England's best in his position now that there's no JT.

Perfect post.

England played an attacking football in this world cup. The game against Italy was really tight, then the way he lost Balotelii was really silly. Ball marking there. Suddenly 2-1 for Italy. Imo that mistake was even worst that Jagielka vs Suarez, because that wasn't even a counter attack. Also in the Uruguay winner he was the one marking Suarez, who was free to score. Someone will point that it was Gerrard fault, but the space Suarez had was unbelievable.

Only a very biased Chelsea fan would describe Cahill performance in this WC as world class. Defense was the England weak point, and no, thats not because Baines, Glen and Jagielka are bad, its because the 4 english starting defenders are okay defenders. They are good, but not good enough to play at the highest level, like in ultra-competitive World Cup games.

... in an ultra defensive system where he is afforded more protection than in nearly every other top team. The right time to judge whether he is world class or not would be this season where Mourinho has promised a more forward thinking style. For now (imo) he is a defender who has enjoyed a great season because the team is set up in a way that maximizes his limited set of skills.

When I hear the term 'world class', to me it means a handful of players that would slot in and perform in every and all conditions - irrespective of teammates, playing styles, philosophies. Ricardo Carvalho in his prime was world class. Thiago Silva today is world class. Gary Cahill is a very good player for a certain style of play, a 'systems defender', if you will.

I'm not knocking the guy, he's clearly England's best in his position now that there's no JT.

"ultra" defensive system??!!! so we "park the bus" against norwich and wba and cardiffs of the PL? this is going beyong ridiculous. just cos we played that way in 2 (just 2) matches against pool (away) and ATM (away), that means we have played that way all season long.

we had a SOLID and compact system (if that is what u meant be ultra-defensive). i am sorry that chelsea conceded the least amount of goals in PL and were the best defensive unit as a team which has led some obnoxious views about us. but the truth is that sytem had its base in a GC-JT partnership. and GC was immense in that. england are barely playing in an "ultra-defensive" system and yet he would have been their 2nd best player on the pitch behind sturridge last night. that itself tells me that he is more than apt to adapt to different types of systems.

I think this World Cup has shown something i have said for a long time, that Cahill simply isn't a leader. I am very very sure he will never be a future Chelsea Captain, Quality defender but just isn't captain material.

Perfect post.

England played an attacking football in this world cup. The game against Italy was really tight, then the way he lost Balotelii was really silly. Ball marking there. Suddenly 2-1 for Italy. Imo that mistake was even worst that Jagielka vs Suarez, because that wasn't even a counter attack. Also in the Uruguay winner he was the one marking Suarez, who was free to score. Someone will point that it was Gerrard fault, but the space Suarez had was unbelievable.

Only a very biased Chelsea fan would describe Cahill performance in this WC as world class. Defense was the England weak point, and no, thats not because Baines, Glen and Jagielka are bad, its because the 4 english starting defenders are okay defenders. They are good, but not good enough to play at the highest level, like in ultra-competitive World Cup games.

second goal is no way his fault ......it was a lucky goal for uruguay which was gifted by gerrard....if gerrard does not touch the ball it would have been offside...No one can question his performance yesterday...

He isn't world class, but he doesn't get the credit he deserves and people bang on far too much about the system we employed to diminish the performances he put in. I'm not sure why that is....actually I've got quite a good idea why that is and so does any member of this forum with half a brain. Indulging the witless cunt(s) who have an agenda and look to serve it at every occasion must offer up some pleasures, although what they are is beyond me.

Chelsea have a system that requires every player to do their job and Cahill has never let us down. He wears that shirt with pride and puts 100% effort in EVERY time he wears it, unlike some other players. That might not make him coveted by some of the bigger clubs but to Jose and to the supporters in the ground, it's invaluable.

For England he gets very little protection in front of him and very little from the full-backs (who in turn get very little from the wide midfielders). That isn't because it's an attacking formation, it's because it's a formation under the guidance of a very average, tactically naive manager.

He's a great bloke and a fantastic defender. Not everyone has to be world class to earn the respect of the supporters.