Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

BUT you keep liking my posts when I have the same opinion as you, but I'm just and idiot when you don't agree. You are the "only places to be" team. If I don't agree with you opinion, you just try to disqualify my posts with the easiest way to get "likes": just write some random insult.

Amusing.

i "like" your post when i think something u have written is not stupid. is that not allowed?

i dont normally come down to insult, but when u have a person who has single handedly written shit in the mourinho thread, hazard thread, luiz thread, cahill thread, this thread and that thread,,, u lose a little patience. i dont live in london and am only a member of this chelsea forum and 90% of the chelsea news i get is from here. but when u go to all the threads and all u read is "jose is shit said micheal owen" (jose thread), cahill is shit -cahill thread, matic sucks (matic thread) etc etc... it gets on the nerves.

anyways dude, i dont keep stirring shit just for the sake to be "the one with the different opinion". 90% of your posts are bullshit and just make me :lol: infact your involvement these days is so high compared to the time when we were doing so well... oh why is that??!!! u just want us to fail so that u can come out and say shit about the club, about the manager, about our players and simply try to be the "shit-stirrer". i would say being in TOPTB's team is a nice thing. that guy bleeds blue (and if u think i and TOPTB have not had our differences then just go on and ask him). but like i said, the guy is a true fan and no shit about that. u on the other hand, derive pleasue out of the club's failure. no other way can i describe what kind of a "member" u r.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Henrique can be a bit controversial some times but I can see where he's coming from about Cahill. This is not a hindsight comment or being swayed by others but I'm not too 100% certain if Cahill has genuinely improved as a defender. It will be silly to doubt he has improved as I'm sure he has but by how much really? I mean, last season we were complaining about his positioning, decision making and tendency to back off players running at him and even said that he's much better in games where we defend (have our backs to the wall) and play on the counter. Now, is this much of a difference to what we have been doing for the past few months? The whole team has played their part to help the team defensively and protect one another and this in a way protects the weaknesses of our defenders from being exploited. In our current setup, no doubt Cahill deserves credit for the work he has done and what has been asked of him but in an open game or games where we have to chase it, have seen a bit of those aforementioned problems of Cahill exposed again but it's not being talked much because it doesn't happened a lot and/or he (or someone) always rescue the situation in the end.

I think it's a little strange to talk about defenders as individuals, when the best defenders are often part of great defences or defensive partnerships at the very least. I'd defy you to name a great defender of the last 30 years who wasn't either played alongside another complementary or in a strong defensive unit.

Tony Adams was a great defender but can you ignore Bould, Keown, Winterburn and Dixon?

Baresi was phenomenal but what about Costacurta, Maldini and Tassotti?

When JT was at the height of his powers he had Ricci alongside him and players like Cole, Makelele and Cech around him.

JT and Cahill's partnership has been one of the standouts this year and I'm not entirely sure what conversation people are trying to have or why?

But your last point is interesting - if you don't protect a defence then sometimes they can look vulnerable. Probably best not to do that then.

I think it's a little strange to talk about defenders as individuals, when the best defenders are often part of great defences or defensive partnerships at the very least. I'd defy you to name a great defender of the last 30 years who wasn't either played alongside another complementary or in a strong defensive unit.

Tony Adams was a great defender but can you ignore Bould, Keown, Winterburn and Dixon?

Baresi was phenomenal but what about Costacurta, Maldini and Tassotti?

When JT was at the height of his powers he had Ricci alongside him and players like Cole, Makelele and Cech around him.

JT and Cahill's partnership has been one of the standouts this year and I'm not entirely sure what conversation people are trying to have or why?

But your last point is interesting - if you don't protect a defence then sometimes they can look vulnerable. Probably best not to do that then.

Wasn't talking about the defensive partnership of Cahill and Terry. They have done well as a partnership this season and in our current setup, did their jobs well and what has been asked of them. Instead, I was talking about the qualities or strengths and weaknesses of Cahill as a defender, just like how we have praised/criticized Terry, Azpi, Ivanovic, Luiz etc individually. Was merely pointing out that in a more open situation during a game or 1 v 1 situation, those problems of Cahill that we saw last season may surface again. In fact, some of it were still evident in recent games when we had to gamble, take some risks to win the game but because it didn't exactly occur a lot and/or something bad happened at the end of it, it wasn't talked about (much). Against average defenders, don't think Cahill would have much problem dealing with them in 1 v 1 situation but against the better or best ones, I'm not totally convinced of his abilities in those circumstances (at least not when until he's truly tested and pass with flying colors) as much as I would with say Azpi.

Wasn't talking about the defensive partnership of Cahill and Terry. They have done well as a partnership this season and in our current setup, did their jobs well and what has been asked of them. Instead, I was talking about the qualities or strengths and weaknesses of Cahill as a defender, just like how we have praised/criticized Terry, Azpi, Ivanovic, Luiz etc individually. Was merely pointing out that in a more open situation during a game or 1 v 1 situation, those problems of Cahill that we saw last season may surface again. In fact, some of it were still evident in recent games when we had to gamble, take some risks to win the game but because it didn't exactly occur a lot and/or something bad happened at the end of it, it wasn't talked about (much). Against average defenders, don't think Cahill would have much problem dealing with them in 1 v 1 situation but against the better or best ones, I'm not totally convinced of his abilities in those circumstances (at least not when until he's truly tested and pass with flying colors) as much as I would with say Azpi.

It wasn't talked about because it didn't happen. Know you've had reservations about him but you haven't mentioned a single specific example.

It wasn't talked about because it didn't happen.

C'mon mate. Think you have been long and active enough in the forum to realize that just because nobody talks about it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. There have been cases where some players performance, good or bad, are being ignored and their thread stay rather quiet compare to others for instance.

Know you've had reservations about him but you haven't mentioned a single specific example.

I didn't mention any examples because there aren't any really major ones but if you see some of our recents games - PSG(away), Norwich, Villa, Palace, Atletico (home) - there are definitely instances of those points on Cahill I mentioned, in counter-attacking situations and/or when we try to play a more open game.

I didn't mention any examples because there aren't any really major ones but if you see some of our recents games - PSG(away), Norwich, Villa, Palace, Atletico (home) - there are definitely instances of those points on Cahill I mentioned, in counter-attacking situations and/or when we try to play a more open game.

In those games he's probably been better than JT to be quite honest. Ultimately though, they complement each other very well with Cahill doing a lot more of the running and marking than JT. Sure you can look at the system but that's the case for any great defender isn't it?

What he does superbly are the simple things and those are very often overlooked in favour of flashy 40 yard passes that have a 50-60% success rate and the occasional 30-yard screamer. Our system is one that relies on defensive stability and that is Cahill's strength. I'm sure if you want to look for the odd mistake then you'll find it, but that's the case for any defender isn't it?

One of my favourite players of the season. First season here, works endlessly, amazing technique, proves he can be a very good no 10, manage to get a spot in Brazil NT. Room for improvement of course next season. But it really is worth mentioning that he just established himself like no other player i've seen for a while. :clap:

Cahill is a Brazilian #10? :P

In those games he's probably been better than JT to be quite honest. Ultimately though, they complement each other very well with Cahill doing a lot more of the running and marking than JT. Sure you can look at the system but that's the case for any great defender isn't it?

Again, it isn't about the partnership with Terry or the system here.

What he does superbly are the simple things and those are very often overlooked in favour of flashy 40 yard passes that have a 50-60% success rate and the occasional 30-yard screamer. Our system is one that relies on defensive stability and that is Cahill's strength. I'm sure if you want to look for the odd mistake then you'll find it, but that's the case for any defender isn't it?

Once again, I'm not faulting him for what he has done in this current setup or even in favor for another CB to be flashy on the ball (not that I've any issue with it in general). He's playing in a system that suits his strengths (and in a way perhaps hide his weakness as well) and he deserves credit for that. And no, I wasn't being picky of trying to look for the odd mistake in Cahill's play. He has improved and been better yes but I'm just not totally convinced he has truly improved and/or in the manner others have spoke of him as a defender (nothing to do with Terry or the system!). After all, you can only really say a person has improved if he/she has totally eradicate the constant mistakes made from the past and turn that weakness into a strength. Still seeing examples that suggest it isn't the case yet. Until I see that happens and how Cahill handle himself in 1 v 1 situation, in open games etc (basically in situations that isn't always his comfort zone), I'll remain skeptical.

I've said it before and I maintain that Cahill can be a serious liability on the ball when he tries to carry possession out of danger. He's forgiven for it most the time, and so goes unnoticed, because he's very good at covering the ground to make for it with his last-ditch tackles. I mean some saw his tackle on Snodgrass as world class defending but I saw it as a perfectly normal trait you're expecting from your central defenders.

Wasn't that the running joke last season? Cahill is world class at putting out fires he himself starts.

Wasn't that the running joke last season? Cahill is world class at putting out fires he himself starts.

Haha never heard that one, but it certainly true for this season too. Though less so in his defense.