Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2190398/Gary-Cahill-forgives-Dries-Mertens-Euro-2012-wrecking-injury.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Gary Cahill has forgiven Belgium winger Dries Mertens for causing the injury which forced him out of Euro 2012 and set his sights on being part of England's 2014 World Cup qualification plans.

The Chelsea defender suffered a broken jaw when challenged by Mertens in the friendly international with Belgium at Wembley in early June.

It forced him out of the tournament in Poland and Ukraine and was a massive blow after experiencing the joy of winning the Champions League a fortnight earlier.

But now Cahill is back and featured in England's 2-1 win over Italy in Berne on Wednesday.

'Football is a rollercoaster. You finish the season winning the Champions League and then miss out on the Euros,' he said.

'Missing the Euros was a nightmare. Emotionally it was frustrating when you hear the national anthem being played and you know you should be there.

'The injury was one of those things - but it was one of those things that could have been prevented.

'I don't think he (Mertens) meant it. It was a daft thing and I don't think he meant the outcome, but unfortunately that is what happened.

'You can't reverse it, so you get on with it and move forward. It was bad timing.'

Cahill was one of the more senior players in a young squad assembled by Hodgson to face the Italians.

'It was obviously great to be back,' he said. 'I was disappointed in the summer so it was nice to be back and involved as there are some important games coming up, especially in September (World Cup qualifiers).

'I thought we did well, there were a lot of fresh faces and it was pleasing to get a result against a country like Italy.

'It was difficult conditions out there, boiling and humid but it benefited us fitness wise going into the games at the weekend.'

Cahill knows Chelsea have to reproduce the form of the final two months of last season if they are to close the gap on Barclays Premier League champions Manchester City.

'It's exciting times. There are new signings coming in and it will be exciting, especially if we can produce the form we did in the last two months of last season,' he said.

'Last year the league form was not what we wanted it to be so it's important we address that this season and I'm sure we will.

'In terms of making up the gap on City, it's hard for me to comment as I only joined halfway through last season.

'But I think we picked up some dodgy results against - without disrespect - teams we shouldn't drop points to.

'There was a significant gap between us and City who won the league. We will look to address that this season for certain.'

Cahill is saddened by the news that his former Bolton team-mate Fabrice Muamba was forced to retire after his heart problem and admits it puts football into perspective.

'I heard it and it is sad. To retire at such a young age is devastating but the real fact of the matter is his health and I think people would have been surprised if he did come back and play again,' he said.

'I'm sure his family, which is the most important thing, know he is up on his feet and out and about. That is the main thing. It is disappointing but I'm sure he will move forward and move onto other things.

'It puts it in perspective. You can never take anything for granted. It's an old cliche but it is true.

'One minute he is playing on a three or four-year deal in the Premier League and the next thing he is retiring at such a young age.

'You enjoy what you do and playing football is where you want to be at. You have to relish nights when you win.'

I would rather see Cahill and Luiz partnership. Look at how well they played aganist munich...

terryis kinda slow right nw. aganist players like tevez and suarez, hes gonna have so much problems.

I would rather see Cahill and Luiz partnership. Look at how well they played aganist munich...

Either that or 'Terry-Cahill' at CB. The defence have always looked solid when those two partnered each other. We and England have yet to lose when those two play at CB.

Did you notice his gesture when Cech made the save late in the game? There was a replay and it showed Cahill seeing Cech making the save and then celebrating like we scored a winner. Truly passionate!

I saw that! Great player with a big heart, next Chelsea captain for me.

He and David Luiz are becoming chip and chap the more they play together. They understand each other very well like they're inter-connected to each other's brains LOL, great partnership. BTW can you English lads tell me what his accent is? I've noticed he speaks a weird dialect, it's not scouse nor manc.

He and David Luiz are becoming chip and chap the more they play together. They understand each other very well like they're inter-connected to each other's brains LOL, great partnership. BTW can you English lads tell me what his accent is? I've noticed he speaks a weird dialect, it's not scouse nor manc.

He's from a town near Sheffield I believe, but spent his youth playing in Birmingham, so i'm not quite sure what to class his accent as :lol:

He's also becoming one of my favourite Chelsea players :D

Its probably neutral, for example I live near East London but I have not developed an accent, same with Cahill.

Sounds like a Yorkshire accent to me.

On his partnership (With Luiz) i think Terry will defiantly be taking a back seat before long, reminds me of Carragher making way for the Skrtel Agger partnership up the north east.

Sounds like a Yorkshire accent to me.

On his partnership (With Luiz) i think Terry will defiantly be taking a back seat before long, reminds me of Carragher making way for the Skrtel Agger partnership up the north east.

Well he's basically from Sheffield, so you're right, I guess. Is it easy for you Englishmen to spot people's geographical accents in England, because the only one I can recognize is the Liverpool one and in this case, Gary's, lol.

I think Terry still has it to be fair, if it were up to me, this season should be his last as a starter and then he can be a sub and mentor for the other two for the rest of his career, but I agree with your point. :)