Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

He okay all round, with a couple of last ditch clearances, most notably the one when the ball wobbled around in our box like on a snooker table and ofc the match-winning tackle. He always raises his game when we are pinned with the back to the walls. We maybe can not rely him week in week out but somehow, in a final he never puts a foot wrong.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's very underrated in the air,and probably one of the best last ditch tacklers in current football. That said he can be caught ball watching a lot and can certainly make a goal-costing mistake.

I'm surprised he and Luiz don't make a better combination, with David pressuring earlier and Cahill defending the aerial and last second balls.

Edit: I suppose it's because they're both so error prone, that if they both make a mistake then it's a guaranteed goal against us. My favorite CB pairings are Luiz and Ivanovic/terry or if Luiz can't play Cahill and Ivanovic.

Still believe Cahill will only be a squad player for us, although one of the best squad CB's in the league if you ask me. It's a shame because he would be a sure starter at midtable team and would probably develop better with more regular playing (and having a regular CB partner).

It has always been a problem of Cahill that he constantly backs off the opposition (there is no need to at times) and only tackle in our own penalty box.

^This. You would think it would be possible to coach out of him, I don't think it's an ability thing, at least to the extent he does it. He's obviously a good tackler, he just needs to be coached to come out and disrupt play more. Maybe Mourinho could fix 'em

Was gonna say the same thing. I was just waiting for the ball to hit the net, it looked a certain goal. He didn't have the best game but that was a trophy winning challenge.

The stick he has got the last couple of games is just members looking for a scapegoat, remember he just came back from a 1 month Injury!

The stick he got was because of the mistakes he made that cost us during games. It has nothing to do with his injury, it has to do with his bad decision making that has always been his biggest weakness.

I still thought he was our poorest defender last night tbh, save his last ditch challenge.

True, but that's a bit unfair to say since all of our back 4 had an excellent game. In fact, I'd say Azpi was our worst defender yesterday.

^ Cole and Ivanovic were exceptional last night, though, playing in finals definitely brings the best out of Cole and any big occasion is Branna-Time. Cahill still did fairly well, considering he has been in and out of the team this year.

Y cant he play like this every match. Was really solid barely made any mistakes

lets be honest cordozo is a player that suits gary's traits ( big, tall and works more in the air than on the floor) as such it was easier for him to deal with. great block but still fourth choice cb as it stands for me.

The Benfica game played to Cahill's strength. Cardozo is not very fast and Cahill can handle Cardozo's strength. Also, the pattern of play where Chelsea sat deep suits Cahill's defensive game. He is much more vulnerable when there is a lot of space behind him for attackers to run into.

He is a good 3rd-4th choice CB but Ivanovic providing cover for RB, Luiz playing in midfield and Terry's injury has seen that among our defenders, he has played the most number of games at CB. I hope this doesn't happen again. Cahill is a good backup but that's about it