Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

Cahill is not average. He's not the best CB in the world, but he's the best CB we have. JT is not the greatest defender anymore, but he's still a great leader and his absence is felt when he's not playing.

And still the importance of our captain to the defence is continually under appreciated.

JT is still our best central defender. We look twice better at the back when he's playing.

JT would get into every PL starting line up, without a doubt.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he'd get into Citys' or Uniteds'. If he did get into Uniteds', it would be barely. He is still a good CB but not great.

Terry's better than Lescott, Toure, Ferdinand, Smalling, Jones and equal to Vidic. Only Kompany is better than him.

The amount of delusion in this post is over 9000.

So, Terry wouldn't get into the United CB pairing over Rio, Evans, Smalling or Jones?

City's pairing of Lescott, Toure, Richards or whoever?

Arsrnal's pairing? Tottenham's pairing? Liverpool?

Say something. There's no delusion in that what so ever.

So, Terry wouldn't get into the United CB pairing over Rio, Evans, Smalling or Jones?

City's pairing of Lescott, Toure, Richards or whoever?

Arsrnal's pairing? Tottenham's pairing? Liverpool?

Say something. There's no delusion in that what so ever.

Not in United and City's as I have stated above. He really is on the decline. United have some decent young CB's.

Not in United and City's as I have stated above. He really is on the decline. United have some decent young CB's.

So you'd rather have Lescott, Toure, Richards, Smalling, Jones, Evans or Rio in your team than JT?

Lol. We'll just leave it there.

So you'd rather have Lescott, Toure, Richards, Smalling, Jones, Evans or Rio in your team than JT?

Lol. We'll just leave it there.

Yes to Lescott, Richards and although Smalling and Jones aren't there yet they have potential. I think some of us need to not let our love of JT get in the way of seeing reality. Still a good CB who is important to us but on the decline and I would like a young CB with talent and on the up. City got a good one in Nastasic.

Cahill is not our best CB, in fact he is the worst. Ivanovic, Terry and Luiz are ahead of him, Actually I saw one superb match by him, and it was against Barcelona. He was also really, really good against Bayern.

I said before, I noticed this guy makes a lot of mistakes, his position is usually wrong, he easily gets dribbled by the opponents and its not uncommon to see him in panic inside the box.

Luiz have 2 problems: sometimes he goes to attack and just dont return, and sometimes his decisions are not the best, like trying to dribble when he has to kick the ball far away, Terry problem is that he is old and is getting really slow and in the air he is usually beaten by the opponents.

But in my opinion Terry+Ivanovic is our most "safe" defence, and Terry+Luiz is the most exciting. Luiz+Cahill means: no clean sheet today.

Who are you talking about ? Cahill ? He was decent in pre-season, he's having a solid start to the season now he knows his weaknesses: he's cautious to distribute and very careful of his positionning to cover Ivanovic

Yes Cahil, I thought he was terrible in preseason. Extremely off the pace and his positioning was to blame for a couple of the goals we conceded. His start of the season has been decent, imo, but he is not being helped by Iva thinking he is a winger.

I don't think he was to blame individually, he was focused on his task and as you said he wasn't helped by his team mates leaving the defense exposed. He's never been brilliant by his defensive movements (when the back 4 slips sideways) but I didn't saw something especially awful from him.

I was far more shocked by Ivanovic yes, but Luiz, not only he cleared the ball for fun but he was sloppy... Like if he didn't gave a fuck, came out in midfield to lose a challenge, coming back to his place walking back to the play, stupid anticipations etc...

To be honest I almost felt for Cahill last month because he tried to be the vocal leader at the back and giving the orders (by taking the last defender position by example) and triggers the offside trap. But Ivanovic and Luiz were often out of position, when they both realised they had to do something to correct their mistakes, they broke the back 4 synchronisation with their hopeless moves

How do you think Cahill will fare then say in a back 4 of 'Azpilicueta-Cahill-Terry-Cole' or 'Azpilicueta-Cahill-Luiz-Cole'?

Yeah, nice read indeed.

The only problem with Cahill is that, like Terry, he lacks pace and when he's on the wrong side, he's gonna struggle to catch up. Otherwise, everything's great about him and he loves a good old long range shot too. Good ol' fashioned passionate and committed English centre half. I'd always use him with JT. There's plenty of doubts where he'll be in the England pecking order but he's not even guaranteed to be in our first team yet. Luiz has gone back to his old self and is genuinely pissing me off as a CB.