Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry is 30.. 31 in December. He's entering the twilight of his career....

Why do I keep reading this from biased journos and fans alike ever since we entered silly season ? He's shown no signs of decline during 10/11 and was easily our best defender.

ManUnited will have their only experienced CBs reaching 30 and 33 by November and I have not seen anyone claiming that Smalling or Jones are anything but long term replacements.

Let's concentrate on the areas that need fixing, at the moment we've got 4 world class central defenders and I can't think of many teams in the last 10 years which could claim the same thing.

ManUnited will have their only experienced CBs reaching 30 and 33 by November and I have not seen anyone claiming that Smalling or Jones are anything but long term replacements.

I thought that was fairly obvious?

Just as our approach to Cahill/Dann is (if indeed true).

I'm not saying Terry's finished or will be finished by the end of the season. However there's nothing wrong in making signings that will eventually come to replace him. Cahill's young enough to be that replacement, that make the cameo appearance when there's no immediate danger in the game, as Smalling did regularly for United this, last, season.

Edited by LDN Blue

That would be like signing De Gea and giving him minutes in cup games and league games which we've already won just because he may eventually replace Cech

Anyway to avoid starting a debate that would derail this topic I'll admit that I just can't comprehend any discussion regarding buying expensive central defenders at the moment.

the only way i can see signing either of those two making sense are the following

1.Alex may be on his way out.due to his recent history of injuries,not talent based..Ivanovic is to remain a RB. which would only leave JT and Luiz as CB`s

2.although i am in no way gonna say Andre is the same as Jose. i think it`s fair to say that Andre and Jose are gonna have some things in common,having worked so closely together for so long....for those who recall when Jose first arrived he did state that every club should have a core of players from the same country that they play in and he did back up those words by adding English players throughout his time here..even tho there was a core of English already with us in JT.Lampard,Bridge,Parker,Joe Cole and Glen Johnson..he added over his years with us SWP,Sidwell,Ashley and had before the U-turn pretty much signed Gerrard too.

maybe this is Andre looking at the core of English players who are all apart from Josh in the twilight years of their career and it could be a step to top up the English core before JT,Lampard and Ash are gone and we start looking like Arsenal.

Like Kostas, I can't understand the point to buy a new CB... On the matter about the striker, I could easily understand why André would want a new center forward, I was even agree with him. But there, I am very skeptical... We already have three top class center back, and we also have Ivanovic who could play there if necessary. On the other side, i'd rather us buy - or promote from our academy - a Right Back who could fill up the spot if Ivanovic was to play in the center.

Maybe he doesn't want to work with one of our CB... But, there are other areas where it is more important to rebuild.

Ridiculous speculation really !!!!

Terry , Luiz are a great partnership in defense , with Alex and Iva we have 2 great CBs who can easily step into many top teams used as subs .

In-fact we might find it hard to keep those 2 satisfied on the bench and i expect alex to want out by the end of next season . and some expect us to add another CB.

Terry is 30 for god sake , For a CB that should be his best years and he is gonna start his decline after 33 or may be with his spirit he can be another Maldini but may be that is too wishful .

I can assure you all , We will NOT sign any defenders this summer and if we did it will be a RB not a CB .

That would be like signing De Gea and giving him minutes in cup games and league games which we've already won just because he may eventually replace Cech

Anyway to avoid starting a debate that would derail this topic I'll admit that I just can't comprehend any discussion regarding buying expensive central defenders at the moment.

Great one, I like your posts, really..tiphat.gif

I think that Cahill would be a fantastic addition, however unnecessary.

I think that Alex could move on to Bayern, might not get a new RB so Iva is there, and could push Luiz to DM.

Therefore, could be good blue%20scalf.gif

As said before we don't need a CB we need a RB if anything. How he can say we need a CB is beyond me UNLESS he is planning to let one go. Ivan,Alex,Luiz,Terry are all CB's. Alex and Terry is my first choice.

We need to concentrate of Playmaker,Winger and a Striker

Guest justin_3d

Were there even any quotes from AVB about needing a new CB?.. Thought not.

The power of the media.

:goodpost: