Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

Yeah it wasn't a comment aimed at you, just seems the general notion around the forum that a new CB is suddenly a must because we didn't look solidly defensively on Monday, with a few saying JT must be replaced which I find ridiculous, hence my comment.

JT - Cahill, JT - Iva or Cahill - Iva as our 3 main CB partnerships this season is fine IMO. We can start pursuing a new CB next year where we can adjust the squad from the start of the season, it's too late to start shuffling around the squad now to bring in a non HG player.

and who's the reference, the rock as people called, in a partnership between Iva and Cahill?

JT's on-the-ball play is pretty fucking fantastic; his background as a midfielder in his youth really shows through.

and that's without being clever as TOPTB calls it. It's no nonsense but with a lot of quality. You don't see him doing clever, flashy things. He's always no nonsense, but also pretty fantastic as well. Top quality on the ball.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and who's the reference, the rock as people called, in a partnership between Iva and Cahill?

Ivanovic can lead from the back, more so than Cahill. Remember Liverpool away last season, when Ivanovic had Kalas next to him?

Ivanovic can lead from the back, more so than Cahill. Remember Liverpool away last season, when Ivanovic had Kalas next to him?

so we're back to my first point, Cahill isn't the man to lead our defense. I guess I said in one of my posts last page I trust Iva to lead us more than Cahill...

I think Ivanovic is a good CB, I have bad memories of him and Luiz three seasons ago, and then Cahill and Luiz. I have all kind of bad memories with our defense in the EPL the year we won the Champions League. But then we have the Champions League matches...

He's been written off again and again and again... Write off JT at your own peril guys.

It's not about writing players off Skippy. Terry is turning 34 this year. Vidic, Ferdinand and Carvalho have all fallen. He's done very well to keep it up this long, especially considering the things he's put his body through.

His time is coming and Chelsea has to be prepared. You don't want to end up like Utd (talking about their CB issue). Evans looked good alongside Vidic/Ferdinand in 12-13. Doubt he'll look as good now.

so we're back to my first point, Cahill isn't the man to lead our defense. I guess I said in one of my posts last page I trust Iva to lead us more than Cahill...

I think Ivanovic is a good CB, I have bad memories of him and Luiz three seasons ago, and then Cahill and Luiz. I have all kind of bad memories with our defense in the EPL the year we won the Champions League. But then we have the Champions League matches...

That I agree with - always said from day one that Cahill needs a leader beside him and Ivanovic can step up and do so IMO.

I think the latter had more to do with the overall structure of the team. Di Matteo wasn't exactly a top class manager, and we didn't have a complete, balanced team or system back then. We have an infinitely better team and manager now so we'll look to dominate more games both tactically and talent wise.

I do agree with this. I've always liked Ivanovic as a CB and think he could make a very good CB when given the chance. But Mourinho doesn't seem to see Ivan as a CB at all so I've kind of given up on the idea of him playing in the centre.

Yeah it wasn't a comment aimed at you, just seems the general notion around the forum that a new CB is suddenly a must because we didn't look solidly defensively on Monday, with a few saying JT must be replaced which I find ridiculous, hence my comment.

JT - Cahill, JT - Iva or Cahill - Iva as our 3 main CB partnerships this season is fine IMO. We can start pursuing a new CB next year where we can adjust the squad from the start of the season, it's too late to start shuffling around the squad now to bring in a non HG player.

Agree with this. Barring an injury catastrophe (unlikely with our medical team and besides, you can't legislate for injuries too much), we're okay at CB ... next season could be different, though, and I hope we sign a top defender then.

I think Ivanovic is a good CB, but I have bad memories of him and Luiz three and two seasons ago, as well as Cahill and Luiz. We were awful in EPL at some moments...

Common denominator being sideshow.

The guy's a freelancer, a mock-defender so unsurprising that we looked shaky with him

Ivanovic could be that main guy but they're few and far between which is why they cost so much. Hummels, Kompany (at his best) and Varane are the three that spring to mind in Europe at the moment (maybe Chiellini too, not Benatia though who again looks like a Carvalho rather than a JT). Vidic used to be one too.

We've just been very spoilt with having JT there for the last few years. He'll be a massive ask to replace.

It's not about writing players off Skippy. Terry is turning 34 this year. Vidic, Ferdinand and Carvalho have all fallen. He's done very well to keep it up this long, especially considering the things he's put his body through.

His time is coming and Chelsea has to be prepared. You don't want to end up like Utd (talking about their CB issue). Evans looked good alongside Vidic/Ferdinand in 12-13. Doubt he'll look as good now.

I agree with that but I know for sure that JT can still give us one more year at the top. He's had a long rest this summer not being involved in the WC, he's looked good in pre season and looks lean and fit. I think he can give us one more season at the top for sure, hence why I said that we should start looking for a CB reshuffle next year.

I agree with that but I know for sure that JT can still give us one more year at the top. He's had a long rest this summer not being involved in the WC, he's looked good in pre season and looks lean and fit. I think he can give us one more season at the top for sure.

Fair enough. Hope you're right. Really want JT to lift the PL trophy this season.

forgot to address the first part of your post, I'm okay with our 3 CBs available and as I said many times, the only piece this squad is missing is a better quality second striker. My point earlier this morning on Iva's thread and last page were more about how we set up our defense than our defense having a problem. If we set up Iva as the leader and Cahill complimenting him, we're good. Either way I want Cahill to look more comfortable on the ball.

The guy's a freelancer, a mock-defender so unsurprising that we looked shaky with him

Ivanovic could be that main guy but they're few and far between which is why they cost so much. Hummels, Kompany (at his best) and Varane are the three that spring to mind in Europe at the moment (maybe Chiellini too, not Benatia though who again looks like a Carvalho rather than a JT). Vidic used to be one too.

We've just been very spoilt with having JT there for the last few years. He'll be a massive ask to replace.

Luiz had ups and downs during his time with us, but under Rafa he was our best defender... but I think we're better off without him now. He finally convinced me that he won't overcome his mental approach of the game and will do irresponsible things more often than I think a top club can afford.

I'm not sure I understood the bold part. You mean Ivanovic could do a job temporarily - let's say this season if we needed him - and then next season we should pursue one of those guys? I couldn't follow you, I guess.

And the last line of your post is absolutely true. We've been insanely spoilt with JT, not only technically, but the leadership, the commitment, the dedication. Everything about that man is absolutely fantastic and everything he's given to us during all his time here, but especially the last years is invaluable and he can't be replaced at all. We can maybe find a player to fill his shoes as a CB (even then it's hard because he's incredibly technical in such a way his weaknesses don't compromise his end product), but we'll never replace the leader, the legend, the captain. That's going to take a long time, if ever. It's not only about his attitude, but also who he is.

A little melodramatic don't you think? Chelsea fans in Peril over JT having yet another great year?

Melodramatic it might be, but too often have I seen JT written off year after year after year, only for him to come back and prove he's still a valuable asset, and I believe that trend will continue this year.

Nah, Benatia is the leading defender at Roma. He makes Castan play better. All Roma fans praise him for his influence and leadership on the pitch.

Melodramatic it might be, but too often have I seen JT written off year after year after year, only for him to come back and prove he's still a valuable asset, and I believe that trend will continue this year.

I don't think any Chelsea fan would be upset if you were right or wrong. He's been a long standing incredible player for us, if he continues great, if not who can be upset by what he's given the club?