Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

Future Chelsea captain.

Or Dave or eventually Matic. I can only see either of those 3. If Hazard was a bit more mature I would consider him too but he consistently do nothing great to remove speculations about him so he won't ever become captain here.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Dave or eventually Matic. I can only see either of those 3. If Hazard was a bit more mature I would consider him too but he consistently do nothing great to remove speculations about him so he won't ever become captain here.

Azpi maybe. Oscar?

• 2 weeks later...

Most improved defender of the season, doesnt get enough credit, he is amazing. Its bit subjective, but top 3 CBs this year IMO (likes of Ramos, Pique, Hummels can hide). Silva, Benatia and Cahill are my faw CBs this season, Godin/Miranda, Pepe and Terry should get mention too.

I wouldn't really go as far as world class. I mean he's good, really really good. But he's not someone that should be deemed irreplaceable this summer. Cahill's strongest asset is those last-minute challenges and interceptions, but they're actually basic things you're looking for in a defender anyway. He's reliable. He'll be in the right position with set plays and all but he's not as comfortable on the ball as you'd be looking for in a modern CB. He's prone to losing the ball when he goes walkies and he's lucky he's able to make last ditch tackles when he does lose out.

Edited by LDN Blue

I wouldn't really go as far as world class. I mean he's good, really really good. But he's not someone that should be deemed irreplaceable this summer. Cahill's strongest asset is those last-minute challenges and interceptions, but they're actually basic things you're looking for in a defender anyway. He's reliable. He'll be in the right position with set plays and all but he's not as comfortable on the ball as you'd be looking for in a modern CB. He's prone to losing the ball when he goes walkies and he's lucky he's able to make last ditch tackles when he does lose out.

Really? I too wouldn't go far as saying he's world class, but I think as far as CB's go he's pretty decent on the ball. Sure he can't pull a long pass like JT or Luiz but I've rarely seen him pressured into losing it.

Who is world class then? Defenders should be judged as defenders. Not some players who can do all kind of fancy stuff. Ramos, Pique arent even proper defenders yet they are marked as world class. Cahill is kind of no-nonsense CB who gets his job done. Its no coincidence we have one of best defenses in the world, who stopped Suarez, Ibra, Cavani,...from scoring. Yeah, we made silly mistake here and there (name a CB who never makes mistake), but looking on the season in full, we were realy good and consistent in defense. Thats why Cahill and Terry should be marked as world class CBs.

Really? I too wouldn't go far as saying he's world class, but I think as far as CB's go he's pretty decent on the ball. Sure he can't pull a long pass like JT or Luiz but I've rarely seen him pressured into losing it.

It's not something he's done a lot this season, but I've noticed the last 2 months he's attempted to walk it out (not as bad as Luiz) and then lose it. But his recovery is sharp so it largely goes unnoticed. It's something he can work on though, and something he doesn't necessarily have to do either.

Who is world class then? Defenders should be judged as defenders. Not some players who can do all kind of fancy stuff. Ramos, Pique arent even proper defenders yet they are marked as world class. Cahill is kind of no-nonsense CB who gets his job done. Its no coincidence we have one of best defenses in the world, who stopped Suarez, Ibra, Cavani,...from scoring. Yeah, we made silly mistake here and there (name a CB who never makes mistake), but looking on the season in full, we were realy good and consistent in defense. Thats why Cahill and Terry should be marked as world class CBs.

Right now (because I've neglected watching world football for a while) I'd say that Vincent Kompany is the type of defender that's 'world class'. Terry & Cahill do the basics right, they do what you expect of a central defender - doing that alone doesn't make them world class. With the way our system is set up everyone defends, in the end Cahill and Terry don't actually have to do a lot. What makes them very good is that their concentration is continuously high.

I'd disagree on your criteria too. With the way the game's moved on now defenders should be judged as footballers just like strikers on the opposite end of the scale, that's why I'd edge Cahill over Terry as a footballer but with Terry's age that's not a fair analysis.