Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JT is first choice ,but surely our best defensive partnership as of today and therefore first choice is Cahill and Terry.

Will be very interesting to see who plays tomorrow? Cahill and JT for me ,Luiz needs to understand the art of defending and the percentages and I have confidence he will in time ,commiting yourelf to make interceptions is great ,when your judgement allows you to intercept ,JT's decision making on when to intercept and when to drop is flawless,David needs to watch and learn .

And as of today surely Cahill / JT is our 1st choice?

Where is Phill Driver talking about the art of defending in English football. lol

Cahill display in WBA second goal was really embarrassing.

His display throughout the match was disgraceful. He keeps backing away from players, shirking challenges and letting people head the ball as if he's not there. On top of that, he's horrendous with the ball at his feet, he just keeps passing it to Terry because he hasn't got any balls to pass it forward.

Where is Phill Driver talking about the art of defending in English football. lol

Cahill display in WBA second goal was really embarrassing.

Wasn't he on the ground after tackling Yacob? Of course Yacob was nowhere involved in the play.

Nah he did not make any mistakes today. He's certainly not good enough to start for Chelsea, but I didn't need this game to know that. He's just a bit too laborious on the ball to play for a top club and too immobile to partner JT IMO.

WBA's CBs for example defended well, but you could see some hesitation here and then, which against a top side - playing better than we've been - should have been deadly. And when I say hesitation, I'm not talking about the mental aspect, but technique (pure and simple): wanting to do something doesn't mean you are equipped to do it. Had the LB had a right foot or better technique, he'd have cleared that ball no problem, for example.

Honestly I didn't think David was that bad against Newcastle, and I don't think the CBs were that bad today. The team has been slow, predictable, lacking width, and simply not sharp enough. Defenders will suffer because they are exposed which make them easy targets for critique.

On hindsight and all, some times I just wish Luiz was playing instead in situation like the second goal (IIRC) when WBA hit us on the break to score the goal. Cahill was backing off and off (as usual) with Sessegnon running at him and I know he probably can't go ahead and tackle in as there was someone running on the outside too especially with Ivanovic not in place but had Luiz been there, he may well have taken the risk, put a tackle in, win the ball and stop the counter attack (like he has done before).