What are you reading?

Bir_CFC

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen Hawking is incredibly overrated, his theories are outdated and he has been confronted in many seminaries around the world for being wrong.

Very overrated. In terms of contribution to the field, he's no where near the top 10-15 in the past century. I think even he'd admit that. I don't think the fact that his theories have been disproved says much; countless theories have been disproved in the past 50 years. Sometimes you feel the field is moving a bit too fast.

I was actually expecting more of the book not because of his theories, but rather his reputation of writing great popular science books.

Hawkings is overrated because of "A Brief History Of Time" and, I don't want to sound cynical but, his disability as well. But he has contributed to the field and he certainly has played a big role in making cosmology as popular as it is today.

He definitely is a love him or hate him kind of guy, there seems to be no middle ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am firmly in the middle ground when it comes to Hawkings.

Very overrated. In terms of contribution to the field, he's no where near the top 10-15 in the past century. I think even he'd admit that. I don't think the fact that his theories have been disproved says much; countless theories have been disproved in the past 50 years. Sometimes you feel the field is moving a bit too fast.

I was actually expecting more of the book not because of his theories, but rather his reputation of writing great popular science books.

Hawkings is overrated because of "A Brief History Of Time" and, I don't want to sound cynical but, his disability as well. But he has contributed to the field and he certainly has played a big role in making cosmology as popular as it is today.

Well, I am definitely in no position to deeply discuss about Hawking because I havent read his books...

However, I did watch a couple of seminaries and interviews and he didnt seem much conclusive in his theories nor he accepts when other people make observations and/or criticism. He basically talks, talks, talks and doesnt get nowhere!!!

I got very happy when he bowed down to the possibility of a seven-dimension space after heavily going against it in the begining. :wank2:

Well, I am definitely in no position to deeply discuss about Hawking because I havent read his books...

However, I did watch a couple of seminaries and interviews and he didnt seem much conclusive in his theories nor he accepts when other people make observations and/or criticism. He basically talks, talks, talks and doesnt get nowhere!!!

I got very happy when he bowed down to the possibility of a seven-dimension space after heavily going against it in the begining. :wank2:

I've only read "A Brief History Of Time" before this. And even if it is outdated, it is brilliantly written and explained. A book doesn't become the most sold popular science book in history by accident. I've also watched his documentaries on Discovery and they were very good as well. In "The Grand Design", he's not talking about a theory of his but rather one of the latest theories in cosmology: The M-Theory; and he speaks about the 7 "hidden" dimensions as they are an integral part of it. But, tbh, if I did not already have a very good idea what M-Theory is, the book would probably have left A LOT of logical gaps for me. For a book about M-Theory, it talked a lot about other theories and very little about this one. To be honest, I'm still not very convinced with the implications of the "Relative Realism" which is at the heart of the theory. It just sounds to me like an over-sophisticated way to say "I don't know" :P

Just finished reading Games of throne :fainthv9::getin::dance::wub: I am so glad that I brought the next book in the series already because my word I want more!!!

Sansa - I dislike her greatly! oh I know she is a little girl but does she have to be so urgggh
Eddard - Whyyyyy! did he have to die! I loved this character

The Starks are my favourite family in this book so far!! Those direwolves!!
I'm still on fence with Tyrion. I do like him as much as one can like a Lannister
And to end my crazy rambling.....DRAGONNNNNNNNNSSSSSSS!!!

"Winter is coming"

Just finished reading Games of throne :fainthv9::getin::dance::wub: I am so glad that I brought the next book in the series already because my word I want more!!!

Sansa - I dislike her greatly! oh I know she is a little girl but does she have to be so urgggh

Eddard - Whyyyyy! did he have to die! I loved this character

The Starks are my favourite family in this book so far!! Those direwolves!!

I'm still on fence with Tyrion. I do like him as much as one can like a Lannister

And to end my crazy rambling.....DRAGONNNNNNNNNSSSSSSS!!!

"Winter is coming"

I watched the show before starting the books (and really enjoyed it), but I'm glad I started reading the books because they're even better than the TV in my opinion.. the next 2 books in the series (ACoK and ASoS) are extremely good and I'd recommend reading them.

I watched the show before starting the books (and really enjoyed it), but I'm glad I started reading the books because they're even better than the TV in my opinion.. the next 2 books in the series (ACoK and ASoS) are extremely good and I'd recommend reading them.

I plan to read all the books in the series. I'll watch the tv show after that :D

• 2 months later...

Steve Job's autobiography (I'm half way through atm)..

pied815ba728aa668d@large.jpg

Love the way this has been written, when Job's commissioned this guy he explicitly gave him permission to open Pandora’s box in regards to past working relationships. Until reading I never really appreciated how much of an innovator he was, he was literally the first person to make computers a life style product. A must read for entrepreneurs especially.

Extract from the book..

Steve Jobs on his trip to India:

Coming back to America was, for me, much more of a cultural shock than going to India. The people in the Indian countryside don't use their intellect like we do, they use their intuition instead, and their intuition is far more developed than in the rest of the world. Intuition is a very powerful thing, more powerful than intellect, in my opinion. That's had a big impact on my work.

Western national thought is not an innate characteristic; it is learned and is the great achievement of western civilisation. In the villages of India, they never learned it. They learned something else, which is in some ways just as valuable but in other ways it is not. That's the power of intuition and experiential wisdom.

Coming back after seven months in needle drop villages, I saw the craziness of the western world as well as it's capacity for rational thought. If you just sit and observe, you will see how restless your mind is. If you try to calm it, it only makes it worse, but over time it does calm, and when it does, there's room to hear more subtle things--that's when your intuition starts to blossom and you start to see things more clearly and be in the present more. Your mind just slows down, and you see a tremendous expanse in the moment. You see so much more than you could see before. It's a discipline; you have to practise it.

Zen has been a deep influence in my life ever since. At one point I was thinking about going to Japan and trying to get into the Eihei-Ji monastery, buy my spiritual advisor urged me to stay here. He said there is nothing over there that isn't here, and he was correct. I learned the truth of the Zen saying that if you are willing to travel around the world to meet a teacher, one will appear next door.

A Dance with Dragons

Began reading this one on Tueday right after finishing A Feast for Crows. So far I've read about 300 pages and I can't wait to read some more. Too bad I've got an important exam coming up tomorrow and I have to study for it. <_<

A Dance with Dragons

Began reading this one on Tueday right after finishing A Feast for Crows. So far I've read about 300 pages and I can't wait to read some more. Too bad I've got an important exam coming up tomorrow and I have to study for it. <_<

There's a lot more action in ADWD than in AFFC, so if you're looking for more of the adrenaline-fuelled chaos of the first three books you'll prefer this to AFFC. However I loved the characterisation in AFFC, especially our introductions to Dorne and more exploits in the Iron Islands with Victarion and the Crows Eye.

A Dance with Dragons

Finished with the first two. I wish I hadn't watched the TV series before reading the books though.