What are you reading?

Bir_CFC

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few weeks ago I embraced my inner teenager and read the Hunger Games trilogy, it was nice.

As of yesterday:

GameOfThrones.jpg

I believe this series is going to take a while, the five books combine to around 6000 pages or something on the ipad e-book format. Would have started earlier but the last few weeks at the university were too hectic and I hardly had time to do anything other than study. Now with the four month break I have nothing but time on my hands so I started reading the first one yesterday.

@Rmpr, what on earth is that? Never knew such a novel even existed, as a fan of the LotR trilogy I'm inclined to read that one too if it's any good. Once you're done with it, report back!

A few weeks ago I embraced my inner teenager and read the Hunger Games trilogy, it was nice.

As of yesterday:

GameOfThrones.jpg

I believe this series is going to take a while, the five books combine to around 6000 pages or something on the ipad e-book format. Would have started earlier but the last few weeks at the university were too hectic and I hardly had time to do anything other than study. Now with the four month break I have nothing but time on my hands so I started reading the first one yesterday.

@Rmpr, what on earth is that? Never new such a novel even existed, as a fan of the LotR trilogy I'm inclined to read that one too if it's any good. Once you're done with it, report back!

Let me know how this is, I've never watched the series but only heard good things about it. Might be my next book purchase.

@Rmpr, what on earth is that? Never new such a novel even existed, as a fan of the LotR trilogy I'm inclined to read that one too if it's any good. Once you're done with it, report back!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ringbearer

I will tell you once I finish, so many spoilers I am tempted to tell you, but I will only judge the final product. :D

OMG, nobody reads anything in here?

I read all the time, but what I read is mostly books like

"Why is there antifreeze in my toothpaste"

"Napoleon's buttons" or

"The disappearing spoon"

Which are all non-fiction chemistry/history books, my Mandarin translation/homework, or I am reading what my children are reading so I know what they are reading. Other than that its crap romance books that require no thought but make me laugh and allow my mind to relax. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Let me know how this is, I've never watched the series but only heard good things about it. Might be my next book purchase.

Sure thing, only read about 200 pages of the first one but so far so good. In the meantime, judging by this thread I would say @, @Rmpr and @Dion are already experts on this book series so maybe they could tell you more.

As of yesterday:

GameOfThrones.jpg

The television series is excellent, but has nowhere near the same scope and beauty as the novel series. A Song of Ice and Fire has all the political intrigue as Ancient Rome and the all-out warfare of the Wars of the Roses. The author creates some wonderful characters who have brilliant, intelligent character arcs, and a well-thought-out plot is set in a varied, colourful world into which you will become totally immersed.

As soon as you start reading, you are instantly hooked. It's like the books are a drug.

The plot speeds on in the first three books, A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords, before in A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons we are treated to Martin's brilliant humanisation of his characters. There may be less action, and the plot slows down considerably, but it allows the author to flesh out his characters and the world they live in. All five books as beautifully-written. You rarely find yourself getting bored.

I can't praise the books enough, in truth. I love them so much I am writing a 30,000-word dissertation on them!

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the Hunger Games trilogy and all 5 books from the A Song Of Ice and Fire (Game Of Thrones) series. Should keep me occupied for some time - looking forward to reading them after I finish my exams.

I demand you read the Hunger Games first. Otherwise, you will start ASOIAF and when you are done, you will get bored with the Hunger Games afterwards...

Please do it, it is not me being a jerk or anything, I am talking about experience. The Hunger Games are more childish and naive than Martin's masterpiece. You will only enjoy it without having experienced something trully great right before it. Reading Game of Thrones after the Games Triology will make you apreciate every single detail more.

Both are great reads, but ASOIAF is more adult and has a better developed world and more indepthed characters than the Hunger Games!

IMO, the first three books of the series are absolutely incredible. While the fourth and fifth book are a little bit boring due to the long character descriptions in them (specially the fourth one). The first three books are all about mind games, battles, him telling you how the Seven Kingdoms works, who is whom, secrets being unvailed, etc. The fourth and fifth book share the same timeline, but each book focus on different houses and characters; making it more about the description about the characters than about the history and twits itself (meaning less pace and action). Besides that, they are all extraordinary..

Good read on both series to you mate, if you have any doubts or questions, I have read both series and all you need to do is PM! :)