Frank Lampard

DavidEU

Frank Lampard , simply the best , the greatest Chelsea player , the greatest midfield in the history of the Premier League : 764 Games , 228 Goals , 165 assists.

www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/frank-lampard/leistungsdaten/spieler_3163.html

But the problem is that its leaving huge gaps in front of the back four that allows the opposition to operate in and cause damage to us. That's why I can't see him as starter in a 4-3-2-1 and should be dropped in order to allow other better suited players to take over.

First of all, nobody plays the 4-3-2-1. Second of all, Lampard was one of our best players under RDM last season. He not only was key in linking up defense with attack, but also defended very well. He's leaving big gaps in front of the back four because he's not a defensive midfielder. It's not his job to cover for defenders, that's Mikel's responsibility. (And Luiz needs to stop running up field so much to leave so much room to cover). Chelsea are playing a 4-1-1-3-1 and Lampard is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing but just like last season, I am positive that Lampard will get blamed for everything no matter what.

First of all, nobody plays the 4-3-2-1. Second of all, Lampard was one of our best players under RDM last season. He not only was key in linking up defense with attack, but also defended very well. He's leaving big gaps in front of the back four because he's not a defensive midfielder. It's not his job to cover for defenders, that's Mikel's responsibility. (And Luiz needs to stop running up field so much to leave so much room to cover). Chelsea are playing a 4-1-1-3-1 and Lampard is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing but just like last season, I am positive that Lampard will get blamed for everything no matter what.

First off, that was a typo when I said we play 4-3-2-1, I know what formation Di Matteo plays thank you very much. Don't patronize me.

Second. We saw it in pre-season that Lampard is not suited for the double pivot. Especially with Mikel or Essien as his partner. They are both there to stay in the middle of the pitch and only should go up when they decide to do it together in order to press the opposition deeper down their half. Problem is Essien and Mikel hardly push up and Lampard constantly goes up to the box as if we are playing in Jose's 4-3-3 system, and to make it worse he decides to never comeback until the opposition start a counter attack. This mean that the midfield because horribly warped and there are huge gaps in the midfield that allows the opposition to work in. Against teams like City, Arsenal heck even Liverppol that is deadly.

Thirdly, we need a deep lying play maker and Lampard is nowhere near that. I'm sick of people claiming that Lampard did excellent in the double pivot and revived his career as Chelsea main midfield man. All the double pivot and the tactics that were used (very negative in big games) was to hide the fact that Lampard is very slow on the ball and is not really creative in quick one touch passing (which the double pivot needs at least one player who can do it). It was alright when we put 11 men behind the ball and he was forced to do only defensive work. But look at games such as Wigan and Fulham where we had to play a much more possession type game. We were awful. A big part comes that we had no one deep who could spray play quickly over the field. Just like now we were incredibly slow in the play because Lampard was ask to be the deep-lying playmker and he simply is not good enough. Not to mention that point two comes back in the fact that Lampard still acts like we are playing 4-3-3 when he keeps running up to the box without the other that allows us to press them.

I'm sorry but we need people who can go into the double pivot that can meet the right criteria. Lampard does not fit them.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does Lampard doesn't receive the criticism that other players get? Toure ate him and Mikel for breakfast.

Because along side John Terry, he is intouchable. And each and every time you dare to criticize him (or one of these players), your love for this club is questioned. Double standard's flying high.

He had a terrible game. Out of position most of the time, contibuted nothing to the attack, even his passing was off. He's still not fit, maybe needs a few games.

One noticeable thing he did all game was running around, making challenges and looking to match City's midfield...

One noticeable thing he did all game was running around, making challenges and looking to match City's midfield...

Too much, if you ask me. He was too easily drawn out of position which left Mikel alone vs 3 mancity midfielders.

Too much, if you ask me. He was too easily drawn out of position which left Mikel alone vs 3 mancity midfielders.

Although Mikel doesn't go around making challenges like Lampard did, he still sometimes try to press high up to do so and in turn leaves space behind. What I would say, whenever our approach is to attack and take the game to the opposition, the double pivot just doesn't work. Both Mikel and Lampard look lost and are not working in tandem. Both press high up without any organization and then leaves space behind. IF one press, the other need to be discipline and sit in front of the back 4 to protect the defence and unfortunately, they're not seeing that at the moment.

Although Mikel doesn't go around making challenges like Lampard did, he still sometimes try to press high up to do so and in turn leaves space behind. What I would say, whenever our approach is to attack and take the game to the opposition, the double pivot just doesn't work. Both Mikel and Lampard look lost and are not working in tandem. Both press high up without any organization and then leaves space behind. IF one press, the other need to be discipline and sit in front of the back to protect the defence and unfortunately, we're not seeing that at the moment.

Agreed. Solution below:

I think we seriously need to consider ditching the double pivot and reverting back to 4-3-3.

And no, I don't think Oscar will be able to fix the double pivot.

Agreed. Solution below:

And no, I don't think Oscar will be able to fix the double pivot.

Changing back to 4-3-3 may look like a solution...on paper. Problem if we play the 4-3-3 again now is that we would have an immobile midfield as compared to the one under Mourinho where Makelele, Essien and Lampard all still have legs, energy and still somewhere near their peak to move around. We only have Ramires who can possibly do that now with his tireless work rate and energy but he alone is not going to hold the midfield together. We need to freshen up the midfield with younger players. Furthermore, going back to 4-3-3 would mean Mata has to play wide where he is just not suited in that role IMO and don't think Torres is suited in the 4-3-3 setup. All his best work and performances seem to have come in a 4-2-3-1.