Frank Lampard

DavidEU

I love how he always smiles when talking about the record. You can see he tries to stay serious and professional, but he can't help himself to a smile or two thinking about that. It would obviously make him very happy.

I also love his hair. Best hair ever.

Food for thought:

The problem with Lampard is that, this season at least, he offers not a great deal other than his goals. That might sound like a stupid statement, because as long as he's scoring he is contributing to the team, but Lampard is a central midfielder - he should be doing more than simply scoring. While stats don't prove everything, a look at Lampard's this season is revealing - he is yet to provide an assist, his 81.6% pass completion rate is worse than every regular outfield first-teamer apart from Fernando Torres, has made only 20 'key passes' (i.e. created a chance) and makes fewer than half as many tackles as Oscar. He does take more shots per game than any other Chelsea player, which might explain why he scores so many goals, and why he doesn't tend to lay too many chances on.
He's a striker playing in central midfield.

Does anyone actually have him in their team for next season? Assuming we stick with the 4231, is there anyone here who isn't saying we need to buy someone to play in his position?

Personally, if we're playing Man United then I'm picking this new guy (for argument's sake, Modric) next to a holding midfielder. Lamps is on the bench in this game. If we're playing some random 4th seed in the Champions League, then I'd pick Lamps to start.

Now the problem in this scenario is whether that gets him in the England squad for Brazil.

Does anyone actually have him in their team for next season? Assuming we stick with the 4231, is there anyone here who isn't saying we need to buy someone to play in his position?

Personally, if we're playing Man United then I'm picking this new guy (for argument's sake, Modric) next to a holding midfielder. Lamps is on the bench in this game. If we're playing some random 4th seed in the Champions League, then I'd pick Lamps to start.

Now the problem in this scenario is whether that gets him in the England squad for Brazil.

He is definitely in my team. But not a guarenteed starter. He would still be a very useful bench player and rotation option. Lampard can still do it against the teams in the prem. And if i use your example of modric, in games where we will dominate, i.e. the lower league teams or the big boys at home then modric would be the man you would pick because of the fact that style would benefit us. Against a team where we may have our backs to the wall, he would be in my team. Just for his long range passing to give us an out ball, and his experience etc. Also against the likes of Wigan he can be a great player to bring on in search of a goal if needed, and would be able to make an impact in the last 30 mins of a game.

And i agree that you brought up the formation factor because it does depend, If moirinho comes back and opts to switch to a 4-3-3 then assuming we bring in another central midfielder he still wouldn't be an auto starter but may have a much bigger role.

He is definitely in my team. But not a guarenteed starter. He would still be a very useful bench player and rotation option. Lampard can still do it against the teams in the prem. And if i use your example of modric, in games where we will dominate, i.e. the lower league teams or the big boys at home then modric would be the man you would pick because of the fact that style would benefit us. Against a team where we may have our backs to the wall, he would be in my team. Just for his long range passing to give us an out ball, and his experience etc. Also against the likes of Wigan he can be a great player to bring on in search of a goal if needed, and would be able to make an impact in the last 30 mins of a game.

And i agree that you brought up the formation factor because it does depend, If moirinho comes back and opts to switch to a 4-3-3 then assuming we bring in another central midfielder he still wouldn't be an auto starter but may have a much bigger role.

See, why would we plan to have our backs to the wall? Why would we give up possession and allow teams to dominate us?

I think what you're saying (without wanting to explicitly say it) is that if we pick Lampard against a certain level of opponent then we simply won't be able to control the tempo of the game because that isn't, and never has been his strong suit.

I agree he'd be a useful bench option/rotation player when we're either chasing a game or simply looking to rest players, but if we actually used him as much as we've been using him this season then I don't think we can contend for a title. He's scored some great goals this season but in far too many games the midfield (i.e. him and Ramires) have been the weak link in our side, neither offering the defence enough protection or dominating and retaining possession effectively.

See, why would we plan to have our backs to the wall? Why would we give up possession and allow teams to dominate us?

I think what you're saying (without wanting to explicitly say it) is that if we pick Lampard against a certain level of opponent then we simply won't be able to control the tempo of the game because that isn't, and never has been his strong suit.

I agree he'd be a useful bench option/rotation player when we're either chasing a game or simply looking to rest players, but if we actually used him as much as we've been using him this season then I don't think we can contend for a title. He's scored some great goals this season but in far too many games the midfield (i.e. him and Ramires) have been the weak link in our side, neither offering the defence enough protection or dominating and retaining possession effectively.

Against the likes of barca and real madrid, it may be something we have to do...

I think its a bit harsh to say that with him as a regular we can't contend for a title. As it depends what we do. We could sign a midfilder and move to a 4-3-3 which is always been his role and we could contend. I agree, he won't have a huge role. But that isn't down to lampard that is down to the manager and whether we sign anyone. Also atm Lampard is being played because he is our best option, as we have very few players who suit the double pivot in our formation. But i do agree, we are not the possession based team, we perhaps were trying to be (through the signings of oscar and hazard) with a lampard rambo pivot as it is not their style of play. As both are better for counter attacking football with rambo's stamina and lampards long range passing. However neither are suited to the quick short pass and move style that we need if we want to dominate and retain possession.

His affect on the team? Yeah because scoring doesn't have an affect on the team... Oh wait...

Well he plays like a striker so you would hope that he does score goals. Otherwise what's the use of him if he isn't scoring? He clearly isn't doing much else according the stats.

I want my midfielders to pass well, tackle and be competitive in the middle of the park. Lampard doesn't do that.

Well he plays like a striker so you would hope that he does score goals. Otherwise what's the use of him if he isn't scoring? He clearly isn't doing much else according the stats.

I want my midfielders to pass well, tackle and be competitive in the middle of the park. Lampard doesn't do that.

He doesn't play as a striker though does he. He plays in the pivot but drifts forward. And if you actually think he plays like a striker then what are you watching considering he drops deep to collect the ball all the time. And if your just basing everything off stats, then whats the point, i could just say lamps has more key passes, goals and assists than his midfield rivals over his whole career. But because you want to base it of his last 30 games then that proves everything. You could also point out the fact that he has to shoot more because all season we have played a guy who has been more than useless at doing it. Stats also don't tell you how he has bossed several games this season. And because he hasn't had the immediate final pass before someone scores doesn't change that.

He doesn't play as a striker though does he. He plays in the pivot but drifts forward. And if you actually think he plays like a striker then what are you watching considering he drops deep to collect the ball all the time. And if your just basing everything off stats, then whats the point, i could just say lamps has more key passes, goals and assists than his midfield rivals over his whole career. But because you want to base it of his last 30 games then that proves everything. You could also point out the fact that he has to shoot more because all season we have played a guy who has been more than useless at doing it. Stats also don't tell you how he has bossed several games this season. And because he hasn't had the immediate final pass before someone scores doesn't change that.

He really does. He spends more time in and around the box than the 4 players ahead of him and his partner in midfield is left doing the work of two men. He continually shoots when there are other and better options because he is fixated with scoring goals. He has clearly put his own personal scoring records ahead of anything else THIS season and the stats prove that. His passing stats are down, no assists and he shoots more than anybody else. This is terrible midfield play whichever way you want to look at it.

He really does. He spends more time in and around the box than the 4 players ahead of him and his partner in midfield. He continually shoots when there are other and better options because he is fixated with scoring goals. He has clearly put his own personal scoring records ahead of anything else THIS season and the stats prove that. His passing stats are down, no assists and he shoots more than anybody else. This is terrible midfield play whichever way you want to look at it.

I don't think that is the case. Because of where he plays, he is often on the edge of the box and due to a lack of movement the ball is often pulled back to him as opposed to being crossed, but if there are no options and he has space he is gonna attempt to shoot, because he is one of the best at it.

And i don't see how anyone can think he puts his own scoring record ahead of the team. Lampard, is probably the last person barring Terry whose committment cannot really be questioned.

I don't think that is the case. Because of where he plays, he is often on the edge of the box and due to a lack of movement the ball is often pulled back to him as opposed to being crossed, but if there are no options and he has space he is gonna attempt to shoot, because he is one of the best at it.

And i don't see how anyone can think he puts his own scoring record ahead of the team. Lampard, is probably the last person barring Terry whose committment cannot really be questioned.

This is where you and I differ quite a lot. And that goes for both players not just Lampard.