Shevchenko

I agree. With each game that passes, he is losing more confidence and fans are losing more patience. They are already beginning to get on his back, and I feel sorry for the man. He is human, afterall.
I didn't think his last season was as bad as was made out. But there was a lot of pressure put on him to get better and it just hasn't worked out. Clearly a class player who has just struggled to settle......

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, exactly. 14 goals for the season is a respectable total. People were expecting instant return for the £30 million, expecting 30+ goals from Sheva, which isn't fair. If I remember correctly, Sheva had 9 assists in the 06/07 campaign, which is 23 goals he had a significant part in.

I agree, exactly. 14 goals for the season is a respectable total. People were expecting instant return for the £30 million, expecting 30+ goals from Sheva, which isn't fair. If I remember correctly, Sheva had 9 assists in the 06/07 campaign, which is 23 goals he had a significant part in.
There is also no doubt that Sheva being on the pitch contributed greatly to Drogba's massive goal tally for the season. He found himself in much more space than he did previously or he does now..It's a shame but it looks inevitable that he won't be here past the end of the season.

Sheva had 9 assists in the 06/07 campaign, which is 23 goals he had a significant part in.
that isnt to bad i think if he doesnt show much in the next few games he might lose more confidence in himself and he wont put all his heart out onto the ground like he always does because he will be so down on himself, he really just needs a few lucky breaks

Well, not playing is not helping his confidence. Mr Grant seems to prefer Drogba and Kalou over him. BUT he should be playing regularly during the ACoN. Hopefully, he can show his worth then. Its the only chance I can ever see him getting.

Well, not playing is not helping his confidence. Mr Grant seems to prefer Drogba and Kalou over him. BUT he should be playing regularly during the ACoN. Hopefully, he can show his worth then. Its the only chance I can ever see him getting.
That period is going to be crucial for his future. However IF we do sign a new Striker in Jan then he may not get that chance. Kalou should be starting every game though, his scoring and assist record this season is outstanding, plus he is a constant threat.

Quite true. I feel soon, Kalou will be putting away even more chances. He is a good player and has bene cracking so far this season. My only concern is that he is missing some glorious chances, the Derby game being a good example when he ballooned over. A more experienced striker would have buried it, I wish these kind of things would fall for Shevchenko.

Quite true. I feel soon, Kalou will be putting away even more chances. He is a good player and has bene cracking so far this season. My only concern is that he is missing some glorious chances, the Derby game being a good example when he ballooned over. A more experienced striker would have buried it, I wish these kind of things would fall for Shevchenko.
Indeed he is still missing lots of chances and easy ones, but that also says a lot about his ability in my opinion. The fact is he creates so many chances for himself and others that he is doing it better than anyone for us. His goals to games ratio bust be the best in the team at the moment...He still has a way to go, but with his talent if we can fine tune it he could be world class.

I agree, and only playing lots of games is going to improve him, so you're spot on with that point. I think 16/17 goals is a reasonable target for him season, but I have every confidence he will exceed that if he had already netted five with a quarter of the campaign gone. I would say he could get 20, but with him going to the ACoN, he will miss a fair amount of games.

I agree, and only playing lots of games is going to improve him, so you're spot on with that point. I think 16/17 goals is a reasonable target for him season, but I have every confidence he will exceed that if he had already netted five with a quarter of the campaign gone. I would say he could get 20, but with him going to the ACoN, he will miss a fair amount of games.
For anyone to hit 20 goals in our squad in the 4-3-3 is a great achievement, if he can get even close to that it will be incredible. The boys got talent that isn't being used enough at the moment, he needs more games.

The only problem is, when he plays, he tends to be playing on the wing in the 4-3-3. I think that for some games against more physical teams, instead of taking on physical with physical, take them on with pace. If we played Bolton or Boro with a 4-3-3, with Kalou, Malouda and SWP, the pace of those three players would win us so many freekicks we'd be bound to put one away. However, with him playing on the wing, he gives a lot more to the team, I feel. We only have to look at his assist record this campaign to see why.

The only problem is, when he plays, he tends to be playing on the wing in the 4-3-3. I think that for some games against more physical teams, instead of taking on physical with physical, take them on with pace. If we played Bolton or Boro with a 4-3-3, with Kalou, Malouda and SWP, the pace of those three players would win us so many freekicks we'd be bound to put one away. However, with him playing on the wing, he gives a lot more to the team, I feel. We only have to look at his assist record this campaign to see why.
Yup would work well, opening teams up with pace is something we don't do often anymore. I have been waiting to see if Grant would give Sheva a go on the wing, a 4-3-3 with Kalou, Drogba and Sheva playing higher up the pitch than say Joe or Malouda would...

Perhaps a midfield orientated role would suit him? A 4-3-1-2 formation, with Kalou and Drogba up top supported by Sheva might suit him, it means he will have the opportunity to come for the ball and get a greater amount of support from the midfield. It would result in having to drop Malouda or Joe Cole, but there may be benefits. The only real thing we can do is try with these formations, but is it a risk worth taking when we have a system working reasonably well? A lot have people have said, perhaps Sheva is an odd piece to the 4-3-3 jigsaw? IMO, he suited our diamond midfield and 4-4-2 last campaign moreso than the 4-3-3 of this year, although he looks more confident when shooting this season.

Perhaps a midfield orientated role would suit him? A 4-3-1-2 formation, with Kalou and Drogba up top supported by Sheva might suit him, it means he will have the opportunity to come for the ball and get a greater amount of support from the midfield. It would result in having to drop Malouda or Joe Cole, but there may be benefits. The only real thing we can do is try with these formations, but is it a risk worth taking when we have a system working reasonably well? A lot have people have said, perhaps Sheva is an odd piece to the 4-3-3 jigsaw? IMO, he suited our diamond midfield and 4-4-2 last campaign moreso than the 4-3-3 of this year, although he looks more confident when shooting this season.
i hope grant is reading this post.

i hope grant is reading this post.
It would be nice if he did :D:lol: Yeah Stev3o, he's the player that thrives when he has the ball at his feet. At Milan, he had loads of play from Kaka and Pirlo, two playmakers. Hopefully Modric will give him that option.

Absolutely right, Sheva could work in a role behind 2 strikers, although if we are playing 2 strikers he should be one of them because that is where is most comfortable as we saw last season even though he couldn't hit top form. There are still things to try but we do look pretty much set on the 4-3-3 formation again which is not suprising given that the team is most used to it and Ten Cate clearly favours it..