test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hamilton

General Transfer Talk

Started by Hamilton,

19,938 posts in this topic
7 hours ago, Cosmin said:

Spot on.

If you think about it, we covered our flaws just as good as United have, yet their image after this window is way better, because they didn't run after 50 targets. They got exactly what they needed and they did that early.

i don't really believe we covered our flaws that much. I mean, after we won the premier league, Conte said we have to strengthen and add to the squad if we want to challenge on all fronts

1st team-wise, we brought in 7 players and we sold/loaned out 8 (11 if you count Oscar, Mikel & Ivanovic from last winter)

IN

Caballero - Rudiger - Christensen - Zappacosta - Bakayoko - Drinkwater - Morata 

OUT

Begovic - Ake - Zouma - Terry - Matic - Chalobah - RLC - Costa(good as gone)

So, squad-wise, we are worse off than last year, and we also have to compete in the Champions League. We have fewer players for more competitions. 

Although i am excited about christesen, zappa, baka and morata, generally i think we did some bad business. Buying two players on deadline day is never a good thing. It worked out last year with alonso and luiz, but for these guys it takes time to get match fit, get used to conte, the cub, the team. no preseason with us...

and yeah, it really sucks that two mediocre players in Ox and Barkley refused us so that they can win f*ckall at pool, tottenham, everton  

I understand being disappointed with the transfer window, but the ones labeling it a disaster and calling for people to get sacked are silly. 

Overall I am confident Chelsea are strengthened from last season. But I am still mourning the loss of Costa for Morata. Not that I dislike Morata in any way, but he just isn't Costa. However the defense has been greatly strengthened. Rudiger is a great CB and Christensen is already a very great defender as well, with lots of growing room still. Zappacosta is a solid to good right back, in a position that greatly needed covering. Left back is still quite shit, if Alonso gets injured or suspended, but it is what it is. Only players really lost from last season is Terry, who might have been big in the dressing room, but was clearly now too old to play any decent part on the pitch. Ake who was clearly not trusted (and honestly for good reasons seeing him defend now). I guess Zouma as well although he was injured pretty much all of last season. But I think it's clearly for the best he was loaned out to get stable game time, after such horrible injury. Think he will come back strong.

Midfield? While I certainly think Chalobah should have stayed, it's hard to say it isn't better now, seeing as Conte clearly didnt trust him or the other younger midfield options anyway. Matic who seems to only play half a good season per year, replaced with Bakayoko seems like a very good decision, even if selling Matic to United was annoying. Bakayoko, Kante and Fabregas are 3 great players, and I think Drinkwater is at the very least, a decent option as well.

Wings are still strong and really about the same, not a big change. Forwards however, a bit weakened. But I feel like getting rid of Costa was almost unavoidable now. So I guess Morata is the best option here.

Overall an acceptable transfer window for me. Although I also wish the club would have been more ambitious. But I am rather pleased, and think the squad is in good conditions to compete in all the competitions it's in. 

Edit: forgot keeper position. Losing Begovic was sad, I really do like him. But an ok replacement. Certainly weakened there though.

oldportblue and Fernando like this

17 minutes ago, silviupastean said:

IN

OUT

So, squad-wise, we are worse off than last year, and we also have to compete in the Champions League. We have fewer players for more competitions. 

Ake, RLC and Chalobah were clearly not trusted by Conte and weren't getting any real game time anyway, despite being in the first team squad. Terry was also clearly not good enough for the premier league anymore, which is why he was hardly played in the end, and was really just a glorified backroom staff member. Zouma was injured almost all season, and can't really be counted towards last years squad.

Certainly if we count those towards the IN/OUT comparison here, we should also add Musonda, Clarke-Salter,  Rahman, and so on, as players coming in.

Fernando likes this

I am glad with our transfer window. Our team has definitely improved over last year: Morata > Costa;; Rudiger > Terry. I just hope that Bakayoko will be better than Matic. It won't be easy. And we have Drinkwater and Zappa in addition.

30 minutes ago, BXL70 said:

I am glad with our transfer window. Our team has definitely improved over last year: Morata > Costa;; Rudiger > Terry. I just hope that Bakayoko will be better than Matic. It won't be easy. And we have Drinkwater and Zappa in addition.

Christiansen for Zouma is better too

Starman60 likes this

1 hour ago, silviupastean said:

i don't really believe we covered our flaws that much. I mean, after we won the premier league, Conte said we have to strengthen and add to the squad if we want to challenge on all fronts

1st team-wise, we brought in 7 players and we sold/loaned out 8 (11 if you count Oscar, Mikel & Ivanovic from last winter)

IN

OUT

Although i am excited about christesen, zappa, baka and morata, generally i think we did some bad business. Buying two players on deadline day is never a good thing. It worked out last year with alonso and luiz, but for these guys it takes time to get match fit, get used to conte, the cub, the team. no preseason with us...

and yeah, it really sucks that two mediocre players in Ox and Barkley refused us so that they can win f*ckall at pool, tottenham, everton  

Better to have drinkwater on the bench instead of to have chalobah and cheek.  This an upgrade

think better 

4 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

I know he can be a bit crass, sometimes.  But, he makes me laugh.

agree, crass but funny! 

So, Adrien Silva will join Leicester subject to international clearance in the end. Leicester fans celebrating like they have a much better player than Drinkwater.

Oh, and just knowing there is an extended deadline. It would be funny, if the deal still falls through though.

14 hours ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

I know he can be a bit crass, sometimes.  But, he makes me laugh.

boring white man 😂😂😂

I read a lot of people on here talking about Llorente, Barkley and the Ox rejecting us, and we only get Drinkwater and Zappacosta.

Llorente will be 33 next year, hardly building for the future, and he would spend a lot of time on the bench, so he would not have been a clever buy for 12 million.

Barkley, well a squad player at most,coming back from a serious injury and lacks ambition. At present he would be a long way from getting into our side as we have better options. We were the only side to make an inquiry about him so no loss there.

The Ox ?, well he is a reluctant wing back and he would like to play in midfield. Not gonna happen at Chelsea as he's not commanding enough, and very inconsistent. A plus would have been he's English. Never going to get picked ahead of Kante, Bakayoko or Fabregas. So again no real loss.

Zappacosta,  a defender that Conte knows very well and can play right or left, so good cover for these positions until he gets used to the Premiership and challenge our wing backs.

Drinkwater, a very astute buy. Is a worker, formed a very good partnership with Kante during Leicesters title winning season, is English, hungry for success,and  wanted this move because he feels that Conte will improve him as a player, so I'm happy with who we bought.

The three we didn't get? Well, two show a real lack of ambition,not prepared to put in the hard work Conte demands to win "real trophies" and LLorente would have been a panic buy at 32. We have better youngsters.

kellzfresh, DDA, jabj24 and 1 other like this

On 02/09/2017 at 11:51 AM, RoyalBlues said:

Sanchez, VVD, Mahrez and Costa. Four unhappiest football players in the world at the moment.

Chuck in 1 more , and what a 5 a side team there !

Now the transfer window has closed, Manchester United transfer targetAntoine Griezmann's release clause has dropped back to €100m (£91.5m). His new contract signed in June put it at €200m (£183m) during the last transfer window to put off potential suitors as Atletico Madrid would have been unable to replace him due to a transfer registration ban. (Marca)

Costa and 40mill for Griezmann should be the boards demands come January sales me thinks! Never happen i know!

Johnnyeye and Last Sicarius like this

On 01/09/2017 at 11:44 AM, sainttourist said:

Yeah a wee Sandro deal for us would have sent us to top of the pops

Johnnyeye likes this

3 minutes ago, mccg said:

Now the transfer window has closed, Manchester United transfer targetAntoine Griezmann's release clause has dropped back to €100m (£91.5m). His new contract signed in June put it at €200m (£183m) during the last transfer window to put off potential suitors as Atletico Madrid would have been unable to replace him due to a transfer registration ban. (Marca)

Costa and 40mill for Griezmann should be the boards demands come January sales me thinks! Never happen i know!

Griezmann at Chelsea would be amazing, but with our board such deal would be impossible

King11Didier and mccg like this