Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

So guys, I've been having a lengthy argument on another forum and was wondering what you guys think.

They're mostly Arsenal fans and they seem to think that our midfield won't click, one of them don't rate Hazard at all, they think we'll get absolutely shredded by the counter because they think Mikel and Lamps are shit, and they think Iva and Ash are old and the defense sucks.

The real kicker is when they say that their First XI is better than ours even without RvP.

They think we'll finish 6th again.

Thoughts?

chatting with gooners should carry a health warning ,,,,,Much more dangerous than cigarettes.

So guys, I've been having a lengthy argument on another forum and was wondering what you guys think.

They're mostly Arsenal fans and they seem to think that our midfield won't click, one of them don't rate Hazard at all, they think we'll get absolutely shredded by the counter because they think Mikel and Lamps are shit, and they think Iva and Ash are old and the defense sucks.

The real kicker is when they say that their First XI is better than ours even without RvP.

Thoughts?

Yeah, just like 90% of the world population predicted that we were going to get shredded at the Nou Camp..

Tell him that this is Chelsea FC we're talking about.

Here's one of the guys' predictions. This one's a Liverpool supporter.

1. United (provided there's no financial trouble, which really could go south for them if their floatation goes poorly)

2. Spurs (provided Modric doesn't leave or they get Moutinho and Ade. I think they'll figure that high line out)

3. Arsenal (Assuming RvP leaves or doesn't play. Giroud and Podolski will take time at the beginning, I think, or like other new stars, may tire towards the end of the season, but I think Arsenal will do just fine, regardless of Cazorla or Sahin coming in)

4. City (Aguero, Tevez, Silva, and Nasri all together on the same pitch will mean that they'll drop points against weaker sides. A la Liverpool last season, basically. Good chance creation, but no one will be there to finish the chances.)

5. Liverpool (I think we'll get better as the season gets on and as the team adapts to Rodgers' system).

6. Chelsea (they have no solid midfield and I don't rate Hazard hardly at all. Add in old fullbacks, bad or inexperienced defensive mids, and attackers that don't defend and you have a team that's gonna get destroyed on the break)

Thoughts?

all BS apart from the Mikel and Lampard comment which i 100% agree with! we are going to get destroyed on the counter next season with those two! we need to seriously sign another CM like Modric, Sahin, Moutinho, Cabaye, Tiote ect.

That's so fucking stupid, city 4th? Is he high?.

He has a point about our midfield though, it is a huge problem, and with too many attackers it could be really bad when teams are coming at us.

Yeah, I couldn't really argue with hm about Mikel, though I'm confident that when called upon, Lamps can do fine defensively.

Here's what one of the Arsenal fans says:

1. City (probably - if Chelsea 'work' they'll probably take first, but I don't see it happening yet)

2. Arsenal (assuming we sell RVP)

3. United (law of diminishing returns - if they sign a proper dm I'll revise this)

4. Spurs

5. Liverpool (assuming things work well after a difficult start. If thing go really well I'd swap them with Spurs, if they go poorly then they'll be back around the 7th place mark)

6. Chelsea (Pizy - if you request, I'll explain my reasoning. Basically I think that it won't work for certain obvious reasons. The transfer window is still open however, so we'll see)

7. Newcastle (standing still, more or less)

8. Everton (if they get a good start, then 7th or above is far from being out of the question. They certainly have a better manager than Newcastle)

Yeah, I couldn't really argue with hm about Mikel, though I'm confident that when called upon, Lamps can do fine defensively.

Here's what one of the Arsenal fans says:

1. City (probably - if Chelsea 'work' they'll probably take first, but I don't see it happening yet)

2. Arsenal (assuming we sell RVP)

3. United (law of diminishing returns - if they sign a proper dm I'll revise this)

4. Spurs

5. Liverpool (assuming things work well after a difficult start. If thing go really well I'd swap them with Spurs, if they go poorly then they'll be back around the 7th place mark)

6. Chelsea (Pizy - if you request, I'll explain my reasoning. Basically I think that it won't work for certain obvious reasons. The transfer window is still open however, so we'll see)

7. Newcastle (standing still, more or less)

8. Everton (if they get a good start, then 7th or above is far from being out of the question. They certainly have a better manager than Newcastle)

Arsenal second assuming they sell RVP?! So does that mean he thinks they'll win it if they keep RVP?

Tell the twats we'd happily take 6th over top four again for a continuance of domestic cup dominance and the tag 'Champions of Europe'.

That's the difference. A shit league season but we still roll in the trophies!

Here's a bit of their reasoning. From the Liverpool fan from above. Some of it I agree with, but to say we'll finish 6th again after making vast improvement is pretty silly.

---------------------------------

So, what you're telling me, is that Lampard, who is 34, is going to function as a box-to-box player as well as a regista? And Mikel, who might be one of the slowest players I've ever seen (aside from Mertesacker), is going to function only as a midfield terrier/destroyer? And Lampard is not only going to supply Hazard, Mata, Oscar, and Torres, but he'll also make runs into the box and he'll also do this for 38 games next season? Or is Mikel the one who's going to be providing that energy from midfield?

Let's look at other possible combinations for the double pivot here.

Romeu (20) is young and inexperienced, and against better sides will simply get passed around. You guys knock Frimpong, but Romeu and Frimpong are very similar players. He'll either get a red against better sides or he'll be completely non-existent. Against weaker sides he may work well, but he's also not RDM's first choice.

Ramires (25) is a highly energetic player, diligent in defense, and good at providing those runs into the box from deeper. Unfortunately, he is not a regista. His passing ability is quite poor for a deep lying midfielder. And though he is diligent in defense, he's nothing at all like Lucas, Song, Diame, or Sandro. A midfield destroyer he is not.

Meireles (29) is an all arounder. His passing is decent, but not great. His running is decent, but not great. His movement, shooting, tackling, intercepting, etc, etc, etc is all good but not great. He excels in no particular area. So, which one of the 3 roles that needs to be filled by the 2 deeper players in a 4-2-3-1 is he going to fill? Is he going to provide that metronomic passing? No. How about energy? Sometimes yes. How about tackling? Sometimes yes, but most of the time no.

Essien (29) used to be a great passing player with good tackling ability. As he's gotten older, he's slowed, and that's affected the amount of ground he can cover. But he's still not good enough at passing to be a regista. He's also injury prone, which means his tackling ability may not be good enough. And he's slower now, so even if he had the energy he used to have (which, he clearly doesn't) he can't utilize it as well because he's a slower player.

McEachran (19) could be a lot of things. But, since you guys hate Joe Allen so much, think about this: He couldn't break into a Swansea midfield of Leon Britton, Joe Allen, and Gylfi Sigurdsson. So, if Swansea finished 10th, how is he supposed to make a Chelsea duo tick? Especially with almost absolutely no first team experience?

So which one of the 7 or so players here are you going to play in your midfield? And which duo is going to break down defensive sides while still spoiling the counter attack? And which duo is going to retain the ball against better midfields? For instance, Arsenal would probably field Arteta, Song, Rosicky/Wilshere/Ramsey. Man U will field Scholes and Carrick. City will field Yaya, Barry/Milner, and Silva. Liverpool may field Allen, Gerrard, and Lucas. Everton will field Fellaini, Barkley, and Osman. Newcastle will field Cabaye, Tiote, and Guttierez. Spurs will field Sandro, Modric/Huddlestone, and Sigurdsson. Which one of those midfields isn't going to pass circles around Lampard and Mikel (or any of the other possible players)?

No, Chelsea should finish 6th, unless Hazard, Oscar, Mata, and Torres are an absolute unstoppable revelation together. And, since this is football, and it is decided by the thinnest of margins, I think it's more likely for a team to fail than to succeed, and for absolutely sublime on pitch relationships to not form rather than to form

McEachran (19) could be a lot of things. But, since you guys hate Joe Allen so much, think about this: He couldn't break into a Swansea midfield of Leon Britton, Joe Allen, and Gylfi Sigurdsson. So, if Swansea finished 10th, how is he supposed to make a Chelsea duo tick? Especially with almost absolutely no first team experience?

Hadn't McEachran not played over 20 times for Chelsea under Carlo? Barely totally inexperienced but its not like hes played 100 games tbh.

No, Chelsea should finish 6th, unless Hazard, Oscar, Mata, and Torres are an absolute unstoppable revelation together. And, since this is football, and it is decided by the thinnest of margins, I think it's more likely for a team to fail than to succeed, and for absolutely sublime on pitch relationships to not form rather than to form

Pretty much sums up Liverpool and Arsenal fans doesn't it?!

How can Liverpool expect, with the same side so far as last season (bar Borini) suddenly expect to finish above us? Last season we were unbelievably poor, but the scousers have been used to mid table mediocrity for the last couple of seasons. Our team still won two trophies, including the big one, which means most of the squad now have experienced 'winning'. We will not perform as bad as last season with the influx of talent we have purchased.

And Liverpool saying Lampard is too old need to remember they can no longer rely on their saviour Gerrard who is himself now 32, and having suffered a lot of injuries, looks to be on his last legs.

IMO Liverpool are taking the biggest risk of the lot employing a vastly inexperienced coach who finished below them last season. Yes Swansea might have played some nice looking football but they struggled to break teams down and score...which is exactly what Liverpool suffered last season. So what are the scousers exactly expecting to change?

Thoughts?

The point they made about Hazard, our raking this season, and the level of their First XI and ours, are down to the fact the are biased, just the majority of fans' toward other teams (not that I am saying we're fabulous).

Though, they got a point about Mikel and Lampard. To mine, this midfield-two isn't good enough. The players who form this partnership, Lampard and Mikel, aren't complementary. Indee, they are two slow midfielders, and they don't have a good pace. It will be a major weakness when we will face counter-attacks. Furthermore, Lampard thinks we are still playing in a 4-3-3 formation, and that he still has the leg he had in his mid-20. He keeps attacking and defending as if there were two others central midfielders. But there are not. Thus, this leaves Mikel alone to get the job done. And since the nigerian isn't know for his great mobility and speed, he can't cover the space which is left by the man who got André Villas-Boas fired. Plus, you gotta keep in mind the three attacking midfielders/wingers in front of the midfield-two aren't great defender. Despite his willingness to defend, Mata doesn't find the way to make an important defensive job. I believe Marin, Hazard and Oscar should be a little lightweight for getting a good defensive job.

All in all, this midfield is a concern to my mind. I can see us giving to our opponents, a fair amount of opportunities to counter attack us, and thus giving away a lot of goals. And, since we will likely be the team with the most of possession in games, throughout the season, we might uselessly lose points here and there...

Santi Cazorla:"I want to join Arsenal to have a chance to play at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea, the European Champions it's a dream"

it's from twitter, i don't know if it's true

Why would you want to play against Chelsea when you could play for them? Guys obviously a spunkbucket.