Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

One of Zlatan's biggest fans but really REALLY don't want him here.

Costa is our undisputed first choice and Zlatan would not be happy about sitting on the bench. He's not exactly the kind of player that would let it go without making a huge fuss aswell.

Same goes for Yaya, except he'd get into our team and block RLC's progression & if we're going to do that let's do it for a world class player rather than one that used to be world class.

Our biggest targets should be a HG GK (Schmeichel/Butland/Marshall/Ruddy whoever) to replace Cech as 2nd choice, Milner on a free and one big signing for either our RW, CAM or CM (& change to a 4-3-3) positions. After that a world class CB and a backup DM would be nice, but not essential.

There's no need to go over the top with signing luxury players, even if the FFP rules get relaxed. I would be much happier if the club continued along the vein of the last 4 years - sign young, hungry and relatively cheap, sell high if they don't develop or fit as much as we wanted.

Personally I believe that with more depth in the squad our current team would have gone a lot further in all competitions, I used to think that Azpi-Luis would be better but mostly due to Hazard's free role Luis cannot be a wing back and compared to Iva and Azpi his defending is abysmal. Ake will replace him, I think.

• Central midfield was extremely thin this season. No backup for Cesc and Matic (and no, Mikel and Ramires are not good enough) and this was by far the most major achilles' heel we have had. I honestly believe that with Cesc and Matic at 100% we would have beaten PSG and given Barcelona a much harder challenge than they did. Backup for Matic is difficult: Mikel is certainly not good enough and I fear Ake is not ready to take on such a pivotal role in the team, but hey, he can't do worse than Mikel. Requires Jose to trust him. RLC is a completely different profile of player and when in big games he would have been played at the expense of Willian/Oscar. But we do need a creative backup to Fabregas, of a similar profile. Schweinsteiger does come to mind, and would bridge the gap for Colkett or Musonda to mature into the role and give valuable experience to a young team, a second Ballack signing, if you will. Bayern seem to be willing to get rid and £10m would be enough to seduce them.
  • Another is the conundrum of Oscar. I feel he has massive potential and is incredibly undervalued here. He is the best pressing and defending no 10 on the continent and if we were to stay at 4-2-3-1 he would stay. Cesc was brought to dictate play from deep as he can't do it so well. And as it seems we are not getting Koke (who would be fantastic in a 4-3-3 for us) he will stay. Next season I expect him to grow.
  • Attacking midfield. We need a backup for the 3 AM spots. Hazard has no cover, Willian is covered by Cuadrado whom if he doesn't grow into the role will be off. Of course, I would love Reus here and he has the same potential as Hazard but he is a luxury signing and we don't need him. We do need another AM player, though. Luis imo if we do keep him would be a good backup option there. Otherwise we should target somebody experienced, again to bridge the gap between growing players like Boga, Musonda et al in a way that will not stunt their development. Robben would be fantastic but Bayern are cetainly not ready to get rid of him yet. Brown may play more of a part too.
  • Defence. I think it is fine for another season, and probably the season after season too provided JT keeps up his current level of ability. Otherwise Zouma and soon Christensen are able deputies.
  • Strikers. Mostly unchanged, maybe Solanke will be preferred to Didier.

Ins

Schweinsteiger £10m

Robben (maybe) £10m

Reus (opt)

Outs

Ramires £15m

Mikel £5m

Some of our vast collection of loanees £10m

Personally I believe that with more depth in the squad our current team would have gone a lot further in all competitions, I used to think that Azpi-Luis would be better but mostly due to Hazard's free role Luis cannot be a wing back and compared to Iva and Azpi his defending is abysmal. Ake will replace him, I think.

[*]Central midfield was extremely thin this season. No backup for Cesc and Matic (and no, Mikel and Ramires are not good enough) and this was by far the most major achilles' heel we have had. I honestly believe that with Cesc and Matic at 100% we would have beaten PSG and given Barcelona a much harder challenge than they did. Backup for Matic is difficult: Mikel is certainly not good enough and I fear Ake is not ready to take on such a pivotal role in the team, but hey, he can't do worse than Mikel. Requires Jose to trust him. RLC is a completely different profile of player and when in big games he would have been played at the expense of Willian/Oscar. But we do need a creative backup to Fabregas, of a similar profile. Schweinsteiger does come to mind, and would bridge the gap for Colkett or Musonda to mature into the role and give valuable experience to a young team, a second Ballack signing, if you will.

Ins

Schweinsteiger £10m

Robben (maybe) £10m

Reus (opt)

Outs

Ramires £15m

Mikel £5m

Some of our vast collection of loanees £10m

@Madmax put up a fantastic article

The Premier League in the last few seasons has seen an interesting development. No side has managed to retain a league title in 6 seasons - the last club to do so was Man United way back in 2009, which was the third in a hat trick of championships starting from 2007. Evidently, getting to the top has become much easier than staying at the top - and this is what should concern Mourinho and Chelsea, the runaway nature of this season's success notwithstanding. I've put together a list of the major transfer dealings of each of the title contenders during these past 6 seasons for comparison below.

553ZmQ3.png
nlzR3T9.png
WL3woIC.png
hn7WfGi.png
ZXTSNoh.png
N5deyGJ.png

A recurring theme here is the reigning champions either ( a ) failing to replace outgoing players or ( b ) failing to add significant quality to the title winning squad while competitors strengthen enough to dethrone them.

The concern

The concern then stems from Mourinho's statements over the past week with regards to Chelsea's activities over the summer :

Contrast that with Chelsea's intent at this stage last season :

Now, Mourinho of course is a master manipulator when it comes to words in the press and his recent declarations could prove to be smoke and mirrors, especially with his comments likening the transfer market bubble to an impending collapse on Wall Street, but surely even he in his heart of hearts would know that Chelsea do in fact need changes, not wholesale changes, but some changes to take the next step - domestic consolidation coupled with European ascension.

Areas to target

As the season wore on it has become clear that a few more "surgical" signings in key areas is just what is needed to complete the puzzle. A ball playing centre half, a goalscoring winger to take some burden off Costa and Hazard, a central midfielder of enough quality to both complement and supplement the Matic-Fabregas duo would top most wishlists of Chelsea fans and the various transfer rumours swirling around the club confirm the general view in this regard. (Varane, Stones, Pogba, Koke, Griezmann, Bale have all been variously linked with a move to the club and they all make some sense.)

The rivals

Manchester United continue to flounder despite spending the best part of £200 million over last summer. With their Champions League status restored and a season under the collective belts of Mata, Herrera, Di Maria, Blind and Rojo, they can be expected to spend even more to push on under Van Gaal. Money is not an issue for Manchester City either, with them having proved that they're happy to pay any puny fines UEFA impose on them. The possible departure of Pellegrini and an ageing squad means there will be significant investment for whoever comes in. Arsenal are also free from their Emirates Stadium imposed shackles and are now legitimate rivals on the transfer front too.

Conclusion

All the indicators point to it being a hard fought battle for the best available players. Chelsea cannot afford to take their eyes off the ball even though they've never been better placed to launch a concerted effort at establishing a sustained period of dominance. 2014-15 was good but next season needs to be even better, and it needs to start in the transfer market. As the saying goes, a rolling stone gathers no moss.

Schnediderlin would be a good signing. Song too. Why didn't we go for Khedira? Pedro and Varane would be my must signings. If Jose plans to play RLC then we may not need another CM, as him and Ake would be enough along with Ramires. Mikel should be sold.

Hummels is staying at BVB according to their director. And in Argentina there are already reports about Otamendi agreeing a pre-contract with them.

I wish we'll try to get Otamendi tbh, but he'll cost 50m euros, thats his buy-out clause and Valencia wants him to stay.

Schnediderlin would be a good signing. Song too. Why didn't we go for Khedira? Pedro and Varane would be my must signings. If Jose plans to play RLC then we may not need another CM, as him and Ake would be enough along with Ramires. Mikel should be sold.

khedira is barely an upgrade on rambo. not the player we should be going for. moreover, like you said, jose probably wants to test out RLC.

my only must signing is a goalscoring winger. reus/pedro is must.

2 of the worst players who can absolutely destroy the squad harmony are zlatan and yaya.

also, zlatan is PSG's first choice striker who is banging in goals for fun. he wont come here to play second fiddle to costa.

yaya will be a useless buy. would create more of a problem than solve any.

godin would cost 20mil, varane would be a better option.

greizemann for 44mil compared to reus for a similar fee. i would take reus every time.

Very good, hard to argue with any of that.

so there is a picture of Mourinho, Ed Woodward, and some guy that people are pretending is Cech's agent. Does anybody knows if it is true?

11351159_996062523746513_467298353162454

I'd say Mourinho and Woodward is certainly them. As for the agent, its hard to tell.

This is Cech's agent, Viktor Kolar

2zivx95.jpg

Hmm that's interesting. I cant see we would just allow Cech to go without some kind of bonus for us.

Maybe Di Maria for Cech + cash or more realistic would be a straight swap for RVP ?