Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

"We need a new right back [Azpilicueta isn't good enough apparently] and no one new in midfield" :clown:

"Terry will play 75% of games. Cahill will consistently play. Luiz will rotate with Terry." (So Luiz will play 25% of our games?) :clown:

Just a video if anyone's bored.

who is the clueless lad?

From all the players I've seen playing for Benfica (including these) he's the one who's overwhelmed me the most.

Wow!Do you think he can become one of the top CDM's in the world and rival somebody like javi martinez?

I'm not quite sure what to make of the Fernandinho to City deal. I can only pass comment on watching him only a few times playing for Shakhtar in the Champions League and he has looked good.

However it strikes me as odd that he hasn't left Shakhtar earlier and moved on to a bigger league. The Ukranian league isn't the greatest, so are City buying him based on his impressive performances this year in the Champions League? No doubt he was excellent against us, but it is widely accepted our midfield has been pitifully dominated this season by much worse teams and players, and that is what makes me sceptical about Fernandinho. That, and at 28, he only has 5 Brazil caps, whilst with the greatest respect Brazil don't have the best current central midfield pool in their history.

I'm not saying he's rubbish, I think he will improve City, but £34m is ludicrous for a player that has no great re-sale value in a couple of years and has never been tested in a top league. There is huge pressure on him to hit the ground running.

City are doing very much what we did a few years ago, buying 'quick fix' established stars. Ironically I think we're now in a position where we could benefit from one or two signings this summer who are in their late 20's to add to our younger talent. But I would not be paying £34m for anybody within that bracket!

I'm not quite sure what to make of the Fernandinho to City deal. I can only pass comment on watching him only a few times playing for Shakhtar in the Champions League and he has looked good.

However it strikes me as odd that he hasn't left Shakhtar earlier and moved on to a bigger league. The Ukranian league isn't the greatest, so are City buying him based on his impressive performances this year in the Champions League? No doubt he was excellent against us, but it is widely accepted our midfield has been pitifully dominated this season by much worse teams and players, and that is what makes me sceptical about Fernandinho. That, and at 28, he only has 5 Brazil caps, whilst with the greatest respect Brazil don't have the best current central midfield pool in their history.

I'm not saying he's rubbish, I think he will improve City, but £34m is ludicrous for a player that has no great re-sale value in a couple of years and has never been tested in a top league. There is huge pressure on him to hit the ground running.

City are doing very much what we did a few years ago, buying 'quick fix' established stars. Ironically I think we're now in a position where we could benefit from one or two signings this summer who are in their late 20's to add to our younger talent. But I would not be paying £34m for anybody within that bracket!

According to reports it was 22.

34 is the with the contract he signed...massive wages.

It's kinda dumb to put it like that, cause if we go by that then Chelsea payed 100 million for Torres. 50 mill to buy and another 50 million for his contract and wages.....

Mourinho realy likes Varane and Varane probably likes Mou most (because he gave him so many chances ahead of Pepe, Albiol,...) so thid could mean that at some point, Varane will want to join Mou here. But Real (and especialy Zidane) will make sure that Varane stays in spain...

Wow!Do you think he can become one of the top CDM's in the world and rival somebody like javi martinez?

IMO he's already one of the top...

I'm no Matic's fanboy. Every Benfica fan will tell you something alike...

He's really a step above... Incredible technique, stamina, intelligence, strength, work-rate

He makes Javi Garcia look pathetic in comparison really... the player he replaced

According to reports it was 22.

34 is the with the contract he signed...massive wages.

It's kinda dumb to put it like that, cause if we go by that then Chelsea payed 100 million for Torres. 50 mill to buy and another 50 million for his contract and wages.....

Sky Sports are saying the 'fee' is £34m. I cannot believe Fernandinho's wages would be just £12m over the course of his contract, as Shakhtar wouldn't have paid him peanuts.

£34m does sound realistic. His buyout clause is £42.5m, Shakhtar are under no pressure to sell, and we know from trying to negotiate for Willian that they don't sell cheap and are hard negotiators.

Matic currently reminds me of Ballack. His role is really restricted at the moment though but I think if he was given more freedom in a new system other people would start seeing the comparison far more clear.

As long as 'pivots' are popular though or he's deployed as a defensive midfielder I fear he'll reach the heights of Khedira or one of the Bender brothers and not Ballack or Essien which I genuinely think he has a chance at.

He is underrated player here on tc. Easily better than Capoue butI dont know if he is solution to our midfield. Atm i would prefer De rossi but Matic has potenial. He is not worth 30mio though.

I think we'll probably bring back a couple of players from loan and maybe end up buying a few more players. I don't see the point in a massive spending spree. We have a lot of talent already and a lot of it is young and improving. We just need to add to it rather than tearing down and rebuilding.

If I had my druthers, we'd do something like-

Out: Torres (we just need to move on), Marin,

In: A striker like Cavani, Jovetic, Dzeko, etc...don't really care. A right winger like Di Maria or similar, and a central midfielder if we stick to a 4-2-3-1. (Someone like Coentrao would be useful long-term as well.

He doesn't need the same funds as he did in 2004 to compete because our current squad has more talent now than it did back then. In 2004 he spent £140m and now we just need a couple of good impact signings to improve our team enough to really challenge for the title.

DDR 10m

Hulk / Sanchez / Di Maria / Schürrle / someone else 20-25m

Cavani 35m + Torres if we're lucky.

That's roughly 80m spent and together with a few sales (Marin, Essien, Bruma, Kakuta?) the net spend wouldn't be too much anymore, would it? Then exclude Malouda, Benayoun, Ferreira and Hilario from the wage bill when they're released and that should cover the wages of all new signings. You saying the club couldn't afford that?

I agree with all you both said!

I just think Mou will want to buy a young CB (Mangala, maybe) on top of a ST, RW and DM.

I also think he will leave a LB and CM for next season, when Lampard/Cole/Terry will be probably gone.