Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

I am so jealous of this one! Holtby is an amazing talent. I've followed him since he was captaining the German U17 side and I would bet anything he is going to be world class. AVB is one hell of a scout!

Don't think it's AVB solely. Tottenham have a knack for signing potential stars - Bale, Walker, KPB (even though he didn't work out there), Kaboul & Modric are just prime examples. Tottenham have a good scouting network.

Besides, it's not like Holtby was an unknown commodity anyway, he's made huge strides in the last 18 months...

I don't know if anybody's interested in this, but Jan Kirchhoff, a talented German defender, will join Bayern Munich next summer. He rejected offers from other clubs in the Bundesliga (especially Schalke) to probably sit on the bench at Munich being their 4th center back in their squad. Still a good signing for the future.

With Dante,badstuber,boateng,kirchhoff and van buyten bayern have great depth at cb position.

Considering the fact that Holtby is pretty well known talent out there, I don't think this is the right transfer to herald Avb as being 'one hell of a scout'

Well then how come only Tottenham and Arsenal were linked with him despite him saying he wants to leave?

Well then how come only Tottenham and Arsenal were linked with him despite him saying he wants to leave?

Because other teams like us and City don't need him and may have other targets. Holtby is a very well known player, it's not like he's just unearthed a gem from nowhere to warrant 'the one hell of a scout' tag. You could say that with signings like Romeu possibly, but not holtby who's already got quite a stock in europe.

Is there any indication that we'll be making anymore signings this window?

Very quiet. Haven't really heard us linked with anyone in central midfield. Lamps looking almost surely off in the summer, Mikel off to ACoN, Romeu out for the season, and Luiz a little inexperienced in my eyes to be an automatic midfield pick against the bigger clubs.

Seems to me that we'd be making that a priority.

We'll surely buy ir recall a CM. With Mikel going to ACON we are suicidal if we don't. We basically have 2 CM's (Rambo/Lamps), a converted one (Luiz) and a AM who can play as one. We need bodies there. Recall Essien is the best option especially as Sahin is going back to Madrid. I wouldn't mind a winger/AM for backup.

On the subject of Holtby...

raphael honigstein@honigstein

he's a no10 who can play deeper but isn't quite ready for that yet. ok in wide positions but not really at his best there

his main problem is inconsistency. not always at the level that we saw from him v Arsenal at the Emirates and for German U21 (excellent)

don't see a way for him to play for Germany at the moment. but that doesn't really matter, think of Mata / Spain

here's the important bit, imo. because he's free, it's really a no-brainer. at, say 70k per week, he basically plays for free for 2 years

...as Spurs will always be able to sell him on for 6-7m if he doesn't work out.

the potential is there. but not a world-beater yet