Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

4 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

After watching realmadrid vs bayern, realmadrid vs Barcelona and Monaco in the Champions League, it is crucial for us to get a fast energetic, dribbling wing-back if we want to play attacking football as a team.

Everyone praised ronaldo for scoring a hatrick against bayern, but did they see the number of times marcelo and carvajal dribbled past people on the wings and put in fantastic crosses to create all those chances? Everyone praised messi for the last minute winner, but did they see how Sergio Roberto ran from his defence into the attack that led to the messi last minute winner???

Modern attacking football cannot do without energetic wingbacks that can dribble past opponents and create chances. Monaco and Madrid prove this with two wingbacks and Chelsea cannot stay behind the times if we're serious about competing in Europe. 

Been a problem at Chelsea for a long time, for sure. Let's hope the problem is solved soon for the sake of our future and Conte at CFC (and for the sake of keeping and supporting Eden). I knew Alonso was never a solution; in fact, IDK how much use he is as a backup to be perfectly honest. If Kenedy becomes a good defender, he's a more viable backup.

3 hours ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

You mean who can play both positions? If so, that would be Fabinho (CM&RB) but we have the right wing wing covered with Moses & Azpi. 

Finding a good all-around footballer for LWB, the only two names that spring to mind are Semedo and Mendy... but All the top clubs will be after those two.

No, but I mean IMHO, those two positions (or three, perhaps, if you count FB, CM and WB) are where the most well-rounded footballers typically exist. Is the all-rounder more rare nowadays?

32 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

Been a problem at Chelsea for a long time, for sure. Let's hope the problem is solved soon for the sake of our future and Conte at CFC (and for the sake of keeping and supporting Eden). I knew Alonso was never a solution; in fact, IDK how much use he is as a backup to be perfectly honest. If Kenedy becomes a good defender, he's a more viable backup.

You ever gonna give it up? Alonso is a KEY to our success this year and he has been great in the role. I had dreams of Kenedy being a useful LWB but i don't think Conte trusts him. I have been vocal about my want for Mendy because i think he gives us something different but we are currently in 1st and going for the double with Alonso at LWB so show him some respect.

27 minutes ago, akgw13 said:

You ever gonna give it up? Alonso is a KEY to our success this year and he has been great in the role. I had dreams of Kenedy being a useful LWB but i don't think Conte trusts him. I have been vocal about my want for Mendy because i think he gives us something different but we are currently in 1st and going for the double with Alonso at LWB so show him some respect.

Respect yes, but I'm not talking to him nor any of his teammates or friends/family on this forum. Good solder, but Chelsea are concerned about the next level (we would hope).

6 hours ago, quickpassnmove said:

This makes it sound like you see Marcos as a liability. I couldn't agree with that. It was predictable that, with his skill set, he would improve us, and so he has. If an upgrade like Mendy can be recruited, I'd be fully in favour but the group of potential upgrades is not all that large. Or at least the group of which I'm aware is not all that large. There are enough however to give us a chance of getting one and I hope we do.

I disagree more strongly about Kennedy. Even if he learned defensive discipline, which would be a big task for him, he lacks a key ingredient for the role. He is not a sufficiently good continuity player. Without that he would damage the team's ball retention, slow our counter attack and harm our defence. A few exhilarating skips down the line will never even begin to compensate for that. Not that Kennedy has shown signs of being able to deliver those on an acceptably regular basis anyway.

54 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

Respect yes, but I'm not talking to him nor any of his teammates or friends/family on this forum. Good solder, but Chelsea are concerned about the next level (we would hope).

Alonso is a good back up IMO. He's played well on a few occasions, but there's definitely room for improve in that regard. 

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

This makes it sound like you see Marcos as a liability. I couldn't agree with that. It was predictable that, with his skill set, he would improve us, and so he has. If an upgrade like Mendy can be recruited, I'd be fully in favour but the group of potential upgrades is not all that large. Or at least the group of which I'm aware is not all that large. There are enough however to give us a chance of getting one and I hope we do.

I disagree more strongly about Kennedy. Even if he learned defensive discipline, which would be a big task for him, he lacks a key ingredient for the role. He is not a sufficiently good continuity player. Without that he would damage the team's ball retention, slow our counter attack and harm our defence. A few exhilarating skips down the line will never even begin to compensate for that. Not that Kennedy has shown signs of being able to deliver those on an acceptably regular basis anyway.

Marcos is anything but a liability tbh. Sure, not the strongest defensively but quite competent. Offensively he rarely loses the ball too. He's actually very smart going forward with the ball. Decent delivery too. Slots in at LCB if we ever needed him to. He's a good all round player. Always room for players like that in the squad. I want an exceptional talent at LWB to raise the level of the team though. Marcos is a good enough deputy regardless. 

4 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Guy really is just playing FIFA at Utd isn't he. 

These bastards may very well end up spending about £350m...OVER TWO SUMMERS! Christ!

City, too, most likely. Hopefully we spend a fair chunk as well. 

5 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

There's not really any basis for talk about Kenedy's play or improvement though, is there? Continuity player? How about getting match minutes before we talk about what he is or is not?

I am speaking purely from an attacking point of view and athletic point of view (pace, strength), Kenedy would need to improve defensively and the rest is all about getting some time on the pitch.

Maybe we just sell him after all.

4 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Marcos is anything but a liability tbh. Sure, not the strongest defensively but quite competent. Offensively he rarely loses the ball too. He's actually very smart going forward with the ball. Decent delivery too. Slots in at LCB if we ever needed him to. He's a good all round player. Always room for players like that in the squad. I want an exceptional talent at LWB to raise the level of the team though. Marcos is a good enough deputy regardless. 

Couldn't agree more. Perfect analysis in my opinion.

4 hours ago, quickpassnmove said:

There's not really any basis for talk about Kenedy's play or improvement though, is there? Continuity player? How about getting match minutes before we talk about what he is or is not?

I am speaking purely from an attacking point of view and athletic point of view (pace, strength), Kenedy would need to improve defensively and the rest is all about getting some time on the pitch.

Maybe we just sell him after all.

Athleticism is the only area of Kennedy's game which matches the template for a wingback. In fact he outmatches Marcos in that regard so I can see why people are tempted by the idea of the young Brazilian operating at LWB. The temptation is a trap however because pace, strength and power are not enough.

You stated that if Kennedy improves defensively he would then be a more viable option to be our second choice LWB than Marcos is. That's an opinion of course so you clearly feel able to form one based on what you've seen of Kennedy so far. Fair enough, I agree. I feel able to form one too, and I have.

Indeed I formed the opinion that Kennedy's technique was below Chelsea level from watching his YouTube videos when his move here was being rumoured. At the time both the opinion itself, and the conviction that it could be formed by watching YouTube were challenged. I'd say both have been vindicated, though you may say that view is itself just another opinion.

21 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Jose never thought that.

Before the window opened, long before, he talked about the need for several players, and for getting the business done "before the holidays". I.E. he wanted the signings in place early. Later on, when signings did not materialise, he changed his tune to try to pretend all was calm and under control.

As for whether the Don is right or not, it depends on timescale. Over the short term,  aberrations can happen. In the long run however, money talks. Show me a league which is not dominated by its richest clubs.

Spending money will not guarantee that you have good judgement, that is to say that you will choose to buy the right players. Nor will it mean that the good players will choose to join your club. A big budget does mean however that if your first transfer decision was a mistake you can try, try and try again until you get it right, or until the right player says yes to your offer.

In the end money inevitably talks. If we manage to hold on and secure the title, then the Premier League will have been won by one of it's three biggest budget clubs in all but one season since it came into existence.

I like your posts man. You say what I think but you express it much better.