test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hamilton

General Transfer Talk

Started by Hamilton,

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:
2 hours ago, DDA said:
If we have a list, Mahrez should not be top of it. 

LWB should be our main priority

Make that a starter type not another stop gap.

Make that a starter type not another stop gap.

I agree. We've been aiming for second string players for far too long. Sandro is the only player of that ilk linked with us.

Over priced as players will be hopefully this window be used wisley. Not wait and see potential targets go elsewhere or bring in random we don't need.. But given our past record of late no doubt be frustrating.. 

The most important thing is for us to act before the World Cup. If you think somebody is pricey now, imagine what they will cost if they have a decent World Cup! 

Started wondering, how big of a role us not being in CL last season could have played in our modest transfer window?

Actually thinking about the last few transfer windows up to the one after we had won the league in 15/16. That might have been the board being arrogant and thinking this team was good enough with a few depth additions, we have seen this pattern before after having successful seasons.

Then we had the freak meltdown season. In January it was clear we'd miss out on CL next season and the team was in deep crisis, clubs would ask hefty desperation tax and nobody would want to join that trainwreck anyway. Coming off a catastrophic season that wrecked our reputation and pushed us out of CL, it was bound to be difficult to get top class signings in January or in the summer. We did well however to get a few key additions like Kante and Luiz.

Then last January there was not much available in the market, not for the right price at least, and all the good ones were in European competitions anyway. Who would leave to join us at that time? Nobody, and nobody did. We were in a healthy position in the league, so the club decided to be patient and go for the right targets in the summer. The idea was sensible, we did win the league and repaired our reputation, but maybe they couldn't foresee how inflated the market would be. With the money lost by not being in CL (and let's also not forget our expensive stadium project), we just didn't have the finances to push for those extra 10 or 20 millions that state-owned clubs with CL money had set to be the new norm.

So, maybe our financial power will improve now that we're back in it. I don't think it will restore this quickly, I don't expect any fireworks this January, but next summer I'm hoping to see improvement in the club's ambition. Or maybe I'm just thinking of excuses to maintain hope.

Unionjack, The Skipper, Tomo and 1 other like this

Would anyone be against going after Mkhi if United want to get rid of him? 

Quick on the ball, doesn't mind having a crack, is a great passer of the ball and is far more dynamic than Cesc. Feel he would lift the tempo slightly of the side, which is what we need. Try and get Martial off them as well, and send them Willian who Jose desperately wants. 

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

Would anyone be against going after Mkhi if United want to get rid of him? 

Quick on the ball, doesn't mind having a crack, is a great passer of the ball and is far more dynamic than Cesc. Feel he would lift the tempo slightly of the side, which is what we need. Try and get Martial off them as well, and send them Willian who Jose desperately wants. 

I don't want that mentally fragile and inconsistent guy anywhere near my club.

Mufassir08 and kellzfresh like this

Yeah I know but theres nowt like ambition eh

Telles,Sandro or Guerreiro but would take Bonucci as stop gap / Vidal or Kovacic / Fekir,Malcom or Pilsic,and depending on Eden Isco.

And to have a party in pants time Savic and Dybala.

3 hours ago, the wes said:

I like Malcolm too but of course we don’t know that the club has not made a move for him.  Maybe it has, maybe it hasn’t. What we do know from yesterday’s press conference is that Antonio would like to add to his squad in January, and that he expects that the club will be trying to get it done. 

I got a serious question here, it's is there actual value in the transfer market anymore? I mean look at the sums of money being thrown around for slightly above average players??? VanDijk? Lukaku?? Pogba??? Mbappe??? I'm hearing Coutinho will go for 100m too? It's just madness!

I'm struggling to find a decent price for anyone so maybe the best thing for Chelsea to do is exactly what we've been doing? Grabbing a few younger, less hyped players like Bakayoko, like Ampadu, like maybe Bailey, and allow Conte(who I think is the best manager in the world at managing a budgetary squad) do his thing. I just don't want to look like Utd... a team that spend loads of cash and could have gotten more with lesser names.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:
I got a serious question here, it's is there actual value in the transfer market anymore? I mean look at the sums of money being thrown around for slightly above average players??? VanDijk? Lukaku?? Pogba??? Mbappe??? I'm hearing Coutinho will go for 100m too? It's just madness!  I'm struggling to find a decent price for anyone so maybe the best thing for Chelsea to do is exactly what we've been doing? Grabbing a few younger, less hyped players like Bakayoko, like Ampadu, like maybe Bailey, and allow Conte(who I think is the best manager in the world at managing a budgetary squad) do his thing. I just don't want to look like Utd... a team that spend loads of cash and could have gotten more with lesser names.

There are still several players that have decent buyout clauses or are close to running out of contract (Meyer, Benard, Shaw, Vrij, Goretzka & Asamoah to name a few) that could add to our squad. We just aren't in a position (something I'm happy about) to get into bidding wars for X, Y or Z.

Fees will keep rising & become more ridiculous as long as PSG, City, Utd and the big two in Spain can spend freely. A transfer cap/salary cap needs be introduced sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, LAM09 said:

...A transfer cap/salary cap needs be introduced sooner rather than later.

Roman’s arrival in 2003 excited a lot of interest. Anything about him, or about Chelsea was fascinating to the media. Back then I was posting on the now defunct BBC fans forums. They invited Chelsea fans to apply to write an opinion piece about the club. My application was selected.

Among the thoughts I submitted was the hope that Roman’s spending would threaten the established clubs to such a degree that they’d be forced to accept an American style spending cap. Of course I reckoned without the pathetic weakness of Michael Platini. I always felt he wasn’t bright enough to be head of European football. Something he proved by being easily manipulated into the horrible FFP nonsense which, of course, is the exact opposite of ‘fair’. Maybe one day we’ll get something better but I’m not holding my breath. 

LAM09 and The Skipper like this

I got a serious question here, it's is there actual value in the transfer market anymore? I mean look at the sums of money being thrown around for slightly above average players??? VanDijk? Lukaku?? Pogba??? Mbappe??? I'm hearing Coutinho will go for 100m too? It's just madness!

I'm struggling to find a decent price for anyone so maybe the best thing for Chelsea to do is exactly what we've been doing? Grabbing a few younger, less hyped players like Bakayoko, like Ampadu, like maybe Bailey, and allow Conte(who I think is the best manager in the world at managing a budgetary squad) do his thing. I just don't want to look like Utd... a team that spend loads of cash and could have gotten more with lesser names.

Did you just say Pogba and Mbappe are slightly above average?
Mbappe is top 10 in the world and 19 years old. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ja1, The Skipper and kellzfresh like this