Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

Big maybe tho

We have a problem on our left flank defensively and teams like Burnley have spotted it. Eden tho better isn;t the bestest at tracking back pressing. Alonso has his defending weaknesses and Cahills strenth is in the air, being our weakest CB IMHO of course.

I think we should try to upgrade both WB and CB on that side. Not sure if bringing back Ake and Christensen is enough for us to take over Europe!

I do think theres positions we have right now that we should dig deep to get true, proven class players that would undoubtedly take us up a level. Whether hes on a bad patch or what, could be many things,but it doesn't look like Koulibaly is setting the world alight.

Well I was, and am, in favour of signing Koulibally but I stopped backing the chase when the reported fee reached £50m. Napoli claimed boasted that the final bid they rejected was €60m, so the club pushed the boat out further than I would have done in an effort to complete that particular deal. Meanwhile, I agree with your general idea of paying top prices as long as it is for top players, but I'm afraid that I believe it's a non-starter in reality.

Firstly, there is a very limited pool of high quality players who will be available to Premier League clubs and an even smaller subset who will be candidates to join Chelsea. Secondly, competition is fierce, with oceans of money sloshing around. We all know what does to prices. Thirdly, overseas clubs have learned that they can sell their second tier talent to the Premier League for top tier prices and they have become addicted to it. They say no, and keep saying no, when you bid for elites like Bonucci or Dybala, then they slap a €100m price tag on sub-elites like Pogba. (Yes he is, who else wanted him at the price united paid? In any case he made it clear that he preferred Spain but Barca & Real weren't interested.)

I would pay big fees for Ghoulam, Silva or Belotti and would be prepared to go quite high for one of a number of Matic or Moses replacements but there is a low probability of getting any of them. Even with ridiculously high offers.

20 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Well I was, and am, in favour of signing Koulibally but I stopped backing the chase when the reported fee reached £50m. Napoli claimed boasted that the final bid they rejected was €60m, so the club pushed the boat out further than I would have done in an effort to complete that particular deal. Meanwhile, I agree with your general idea of paying top prices as long as it is for top players, but I'm afraid that I believe it's a non-starter in reality.

Firstly, there is a very limited pool of high quality players who will be available to Premier League clubs and an even smaller subset who will be candidates to join Chelsea. Secondly, competition is fierce, with oceans of money sloshing around. We all know what does to prices. Thirdly, overseas clubs have learned that they can sell their second tier talent to the Premier League for top tier prices and they have become addicted to it. They say no, and keep saying no, when you bid for elites like Bonucci or Dybala, then they slap a €100m price tag on sub-elites like Pogba. (Yes he is, who else wanted him at the price united paid? In any case he made it clear that he preferred Spain but Barca & Real weren't interested.)

I would pay big fees for Ghoulam, Silva or Belotti and would be prepared to go quite high for one of a number of Matic or Moses replacements but there is a low probability of getting any of them. Even with ridiculously high offers.

So basically there's no hope for Chelsea? 

26 minutes ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

So basically there's no hope for Chelsea? 

It's a fair question and one which reminds me of a truth about myself.

When it comes to my football team, I am very definitely a glass half empty man. Where some see the flaws in our squad but give more weight to the eight point lead, I see the lead but worry all the time about the flaws. In my world view the eight points are not enough and in no way compensate me for the weekly trauma of watching Nemanja play. :) There must be hope but we are not going to be able to go into the market and cherry pick the talent we want. That is the privilege of Spain's mighty duo. We have to approach the market with the understanding that many of the players we want will simply not be available to us, and given that we do not have Chinese sized budgets, we won't be able to fix that by chucking more money at it. Attempting to do that is more likely to push up the cost of our squad, than its quality.

The entire Premier League is in the same tough spot we are. The only way out is for our clubs to learn patience and restraint but I do not think that is very likely any time soon. It will take a major jolt for them to wake up to the urgency, a jolt like a loss of a CL place for example. That loss will arrive sooner or later unless we wake up. It is entirely understandable that our clubs would struggle to keep pace with the Spanish giants given the many advantages enjoyed by those two clubs, but what possible excuse can there be for Paris Saint Germain having moved ahead of our top sides?

Look at what has happened to our league as a result of the pay top money for less than top talent attitude. Tottenham are long gone from the CL, Arsenal have joined them, no one has any hope that Leicester will progress and City face an almighty challenge over the next 20 days or so. Things may not be quite as bad as the pessimist in my feels they are, but we have problems for sure.

1 minute ago, the wes said:

Beautiful free kick 

Yup.

Esp Important as gladbach completely dominated them. Huge choke job by them. But is is interesting to see a usually offensive player being able to influence the game even when it does not suit him.... 

3 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yup.

Esp Important as gladbach completely dominated them. Huge choke job by them. But is is interesting to see a usually offensive player being able to influence the game even when it does not suit him.... 

How did Andreas do?

My one major complaint about our transfer policy has been the fact that we are willing to spend 30 mil on mediocre squad players but not willing to pay 70mil for superstars. I wouldn't be surprised if we spend 100 mil in the summer n half of that goes towards squad players that don't play much. 

Uf the season ended right now and summer window opened I think our aim should be  

1. Keep Costa, Tibo and Cesc, with CL Cesc will get a lot more opportunities to play.

2. upgrade RWB.  Love Moses but our goal should be CL winners next year.

3. Get one of a CM or a RF. I really think we need both but I'd be ok with one.

But plz don't spend 30 mil on Bats again

13 hours ago, BoyBlue96 said:

Linked with Arda Turan and Simon Kjaer. 

Seriously, kill me if those two become reality here. 

Kjaer said the other day he's flattered about being linked to Chelsea but there's no truth in the rumour 

8 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I completely agree with you that we need starters, not squad fillers. Ideals the players who would be replaced by new signings could be persuaded to stay on as squad members. Alonso and Moses as reserve wingbacks would be impressive squad depth.

In terms of goals and targets mine are always the same; The Premier League, the FA Cup and the Champions League. In that order.

Transfer priorities:-

1. Matic upgrade

2. Moses upgrade

3. Pedro upgrade

4. Alonso upgrade

Beyond that, just replacements for anyone who wants to go, or opportunistic buying. For example, if Belotti is moving this summer then we have to try to get him because his next club will be one of the big boys and we'll never prise him away from them. I would proceed with the transfer even if it means agreeing to Diego's departure.

I know many people would say that a move for Belotti would be premature but we have to strike while we can. We are not at the top of the food chain so we cannot afford to wait untill players  prove themselves. If we try that, the best players will always be wanted by the biggest clubs, and we will always lose out.  In any case, "it's too soon", or, "he hasn't had enough good seasons yet", is what some of us were told when we suggested moves for Paulo Dybala and Ousmane Dembele would be good ideas  over the last couple of summers. Clubs in our situation, clubs wanting to compete with the very best, but unable to go head-to-head with them in transfer tussles, have to beat them to the punch by making good judgements, and making them early.

I'm not sure the board or Conte would be comfortable changing 4/10 outfield players from a championship winning squad (of course this is asumming we win). 

I think Alonso has really stepped up lately. We might sign a CM but I think Conte is gonna keep Matic as the starter to start off. RWB and maybe RF are the only positions I can see us changing starters. Even there I think Conte has been pleased with Pedro and Willian. 

I just hope we don't have to spend this summer trying to replace Costa and Tibo. That would not only eat funds, but also our attention and would force Conte to try and keep the rest of the squad the same in hopes of keeping some chemistry. 

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Interesting post. Thank you.

I think our starting XI would be significantly improved if we made those four changes. What is more  no one doubts that we do need serious improvements. I therefore hope that, not only will the club try to get comfortable with the necessary changes, but that they will try hard to make them happen. That said, I am the first to recognise that this number of changes are unlikely to be pulled off in a single window. Indeed I have posted on this point a number of times.

From the moment that Marcos Alonso began to be linked with us, I was delighted and posted to say so. As I said in those posts, I was very excited about what he might do for us. I was confident that, despite his limitations, he would help our team become more fluid and, in so doing, improve us on both sides of the ball. I think events have vindicated the opinion I expressed then. Even so, I list Marcos as the fourth most important upgrade we should look for.

In the same way that Marcos's marginal improvements have made a big impact, so too I think bringing in a player who adds further attributes will help us take another significant step forward. I have my heart set on Goulham. If that happens I will be one very, very happy bunny.

If Nemanja is still starting for us inAugust I will be surprised, disappointed and rather frustrated. We all want to be in the Champions League next season and that means a higher level of competition. Game after game, opportunity after opportunity goes begging because of Nemanja's limitations. He just does not have the sureness of touch, agility movement or quality of body control to find ways of turning defence into attack. If his body shape happens to be correctly organised when the ball arrives at his feet he can pick a good pass just like all professionals can. When his body shape is not perfect however, he just does not have what it takes to turn a bad situation into a good one. Those times, almost all the time, he is forced to just drop the ball back towards the back three. This doesn't always cause immediate problems, but it does always rob us of the opportunity to spring forward with good momentum.

Throw in the fact that Nemanja can't run past anyone, and that all his problems are compounded by his chronic one footedness, and it is absolutely clear to me that replacing him is priority number one.

Amazing post. You're right in saying we might get all 4 spots. Conte will simply easy them into the line up rather than slot then right in. 

I think Conte values Matic's height a lot. 

Id love to keep Cesc under his current role. I'd also love if non of our starters leave. 

The transfer window is months away but i'm already tired because our fans have already started complaining there are 2 groups the baller merchants who thing we need to have 11 Hazard's in team and the passion merchants well if he has passion he is good enough,FT is a mess. But what people fail to understand is that one without another can't work if you have the pontetial but not the desire,passion you won't succed and the other way around.

What about sanchez, is he a no go area? 

12 hours ago, Chelsea4 said:

The transfer window is months away but i'm already tired because our fans have already started complaining there are 2 groups the baller merchants who thing we need to have 11 Hazard's in team and the passion merchants well if he has passion he is good enough,FT is a mess. But what people fail to understand is that one without another can't work if you have the pontetial but not the desire,passion you won't succed and the other way around.

What about sanchez, is he a no go area? He seems like a combination of the kind of player some chelsea fans are looking for. 

There are not many of such priceable players around and Arsenals failure, more like humiliation in the champions league and possible dropout from the top 4 might just play into our hands.

Btw are we to look for long-term players(24-26yrs) or shot-term(29+yrs) players.